• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

first appointment in a decade

today is the day and I'm shitting myself.

the first time I will have ever had a needle in my mouth without being dopped up on drugs.
I know this is a step forward but I am so worried and scared.

t - 2hours 55 minutes.

today is the day and I'm shitting myself.

the first time I will have ever had a needle in my mouth without being dopped up on drugs.
I know this is a step forward but I am so worried and scared.

t - 2hours 55 minutes.

Hi there I just wanted to wish you luck! I’m typically a Sedation patient but recently after my
Last surgery I had the shock of needing to be restitched WITHOUT Sedation which meant I had to take several injections first. I do NOT enjoy injections they scare the hell out of me so I was absolutely freaking out. Here’s the deal to make it a little easier: ask that they give you plenty of numbing gel beforehand. My dental assistant took a big old glob of it and let it sit in my mouth where the injections would be for about ten minutes. When the dentist pulled it out and started toward me with the needle I thought OH NO it’s going to hurt so bad! But it didn’t. Little tiny quick two pinches I barely felt and then he let me get numb before giving the rest. Gel is good. Let us know how it goes.

I DID IT

I went to the appt, very scared, shaky etc, all the normal things,
got called back and sat in the chair. with my ok, he had a look at tooth we were fixing today, and how it mat with others I think. he asked if it was ok to numb it? I said yes, my head was screaming no but I knew I had to. I shut my eyes felt him holding my cheek, I felt the top bit by my teeth check feel tight and fuller, no pain at all, it would have taken a minute it felt like ages. I knew he was numbing it, but I honestly didn't feel anything.

I asked to sit up while it took effect

2 minutes later back I went again, and he drilled with the fast one, felt fine, told me he was switching to a slow one and it might feel very loud, I don't like this one at all, it vibrated my head so bad. but it only took about 30 seconds. I wanted him to stop but I could move I was too scared. I reminded myself to breathe slowly and I was ok,
then he stopped washed it all out, checked I was ok. I had a 30-second breather still laying down, and then he proceeded to fill it, layer after layer. it felt weird but in no way was it uncomfortable or painful.

I am so proud of my self, I have the exact same next week on the other side.

You’re AWESOME! Congrats!?

Congrats and a huge well done!:jump::jump::jump:
Happy to hear that the injection went smoothly and also that you managed to find a way to calm yourself down a bit during the procedure by focusing on your breathing.

Hopefully you are much more confident for your filling on the other side now.

Thanks for sharing and give yourself a huge pat on the back. Very well done:)

thanks for all your support, I have another next Tuesday but I'm feeling heaps better about it at this point I suspect I will start stressing closer to the time again.

but overall I think I have found a keeper in a dentist.

Congrats ! I’m glad you got over your fear
I’m scared of IV sedation I’m having it at 8am EST. God ?

npraoz
I’m scared of IV sedation I’m having it at 8am EST.

you probably have had your appt by now. hope it all went well as possible.

how are you now?

so its two days before again, and I'm back in this horrible place,

I'm scared, I want to cancel, I want to pretend nothing is wrong.

I don't want needles, I don't want someone being overcontrolling of me.

I'm worried and scared.