• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Positive stories needed: Second attempt molar extraction after failed numbing

M

Melgavjulmil

Positive stories needed: Second attempt molar extraction after failed numbing

The last few months I’ve been having some work done on my tooth. Luckily nothing too dramatic considering I haven’t seen a dentist since I was 11. My old dentist didn’t believe in ‘freezing’ for a filling leaving me in agony for weeks after and not visiting him since. In November I contacted the dentist because something needed to be done about my fear. He did an X-ray and I was lucky to only need 2 fillings, a filling replaced and one extraction. I’ve now had 2 fillings done which really weren’t as bad as I thought. In December he tried to do the extraction but it turned out the numbing didn’t work on the bottom resulting in me being in an awful lot of pain and him cracking my molar (which has been crumbling ever since). He put a temporary filling in and said he’d refer me to hospital for general anaesthetic. This morning I went in for my second filling (other side of my mouth) and he said he wants to try extract my devil of a tooth one more time. I’m bricking it. The appointment is set for Friday. Luckily my dentist is a lovely guy and will stop when I want him to but I’m still scared it’s not going to work again and I’ll be stuck with a very painful tooth for another few months. Has anyone been in this situation before and did the second attempt work out? I’d happily give birth to 10 more kids if I could avoid that appointment but I have to be realistic, I need to get rid of that piece of you know what I mean ? I need some positive stories!!

Re: Positive stories needed: Second attempt molar extraction after failed numbing

Hi and :welcome:,

I honestly don't think you should let this dentist attempt to remove your tooth. It's unlikely that his technique has improved dramatically since December, so I wouldn't chance it. Of course, there is always a small chance that he might have undertaken extensive training in oral surgery since his last failed attempt, but in my humble opinion, that chance is wayyyy too small to risk it.

Personally, I would insist on a referral!

Re: Positive stories needed: Second attempt molar extraction after failed numbing

To be fair I was a bit hesitant. Mainly because I'm not good with anesthesic (had a few failed epidurals as well). But what the dentist told me that there could've been a slight infection which could've stopped the numbing from doing it's job. It was hurting before that appointment but it's been fine since. It still needs to come out though because it was just falling apart lol. I will have a chat with him on Friday. If he's confident enough I might risk it otherwise I'll ask for a referral. I'm a bit annoyed because when he tried pulling it and I said it hurted really badly he immediately announced he wasn't going to touch it any further and was going to refer me to hospital. So I'm not sure what makes him want to do it now. He's a great guy and has helped me over the majority of my fear but I'm confused :confused:

He's a great guy and has helped me over the majority of my fear but I'm confused :confused:

Probably nothing to lose given GA waiting lists, so long as you proceed on the basis that he can only try to extract it, if you feel you are sufficiently numb. He can test around the area with something sharp at the very least before doing anything drastic. Good luck.

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/not-numb/

If he's confident enough I might risk it otherwise I'll ask for a referral.

I'm impressed about the amount of the trust you are willing to put into your dentist, even after a painful treatment without success in the past.
Good luck on Friday, keep us posted and please take good care of you and as brit suggests, let him double check if you are really numb before he does anything with the tooth.

He’s a good guy. I feel like he knows what he’s doing. So last Friday I went in and he immediately announced that he wants me on a course of antibiotics first before attempting it again. Which makes sense. He’s going to double check the numbness before trying to extract it and with the first sign of pain he will refer me.

I had my last filling last Friday instead so all that needs to be done is getting that bugger out, especially now that it’s crumbling and starting to get very sensitive. The reason I’m letting him try first it because I don’t want to wait weeks and be in agony. I’m still bricking it but also want to get it over with if you know what I mean ?

FYI I have never attempted anything and couldn't do it but thought it was a good idea to try another day.

Update: The tooth is out! In so happy it’s over now! Either the antibiotics worked, or it might’ve been because of my mahoosive roots ? She cleaned my teeth first which was probably worse than the actual extraction.

My usual dentist wasn’t in today so I was very apprehensive at first but she was amazing even though I kept shaking and had to put my hand up a few times.