• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of wisdom teeth extraction

S

Serenitystar

Hi everyone I’m new to this site, it’s really nice to meet you. I’m so glad there’s a site like this, I been reading some other post and thought it was wonderful.
I been told by my dentist that I need to remove my wisdom teeth (all 4) for about 2 years now but I been putting it off because I’m terrified of going under and something goes wrong (brain damage, death..etc). Now 20 years old I can no longer put it off as I been having swollen gums and made an appointment next month during my spring break to get them removal. I’m still terrified though as I never been put under for any reason.

Can anyone offer some advice/wisdom/tips or experiences to help calm my nerves?
Please and thank you ?

Hi and welcome Serenitystar. You are talking about going under, I suppose you mean iv sedation? There are some lovely success stories regarding iv sedation and I have never seen a member who would be unhappy about it. If going under seems to be too scary, it might be a good idea to consider getting the teeth out without going under, maybe with nitrous or some medication to make you feel at ease. Your dentist should help you to find an option that makes you be able to go through the procedure with the less possible stress involved.

Here is a great article about the different kinds of sedation used in dentistry:
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/sedation-dentistry/

By the way, I had my wisdom teeth out in one session and just had local anesthetics - no medication, no nitrous - and they were out in few minutes. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.

All the best wishes

Hi and welcome Serenitystar. You are talking about going under, I suppose you mean iv sedation? There are some lovely success stories regarding iv sedation and I have never seen a member who would be unhappy about it. If going under seems to be too scary, it might be a good idea to consider getting the teeth out without going under, maybe with nitrous or some medication to make you feel at ease. Your dentist should help you to find an option that makes you be able to go through the procedure with the less possible stress involved.

Here is a great article about the different kinds of sedation used in dentistry:
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/sedation-dentistry/

By the way, I had my wisdom teeth out in one session and just had local anesthetics - no medication, no nitrous - and they were out in few minutes. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.

All the best wishes

Thank you so much for replying and you kind words , and yes I mean iv sedation. I consider not going under but since I’m getting all 4 done I’m not sure if I will be calm enough to go through the procedure awake. I read some stories online about people dying related to receiving general anesthetic and complication that leads to death and it just scares the lights out of me ? but I don’t think I can go through the procedure without it lol hence why I put it off until now

Last edited:
Hey! I had all four wisdom teeth taken out on Monday and I had IV sedation. I was extremely nervous going in, but I don't even remember falling asleep and when I woke up I told my parents and fiancé in recovery that it was fun and I wanted to do it again lol! Honestly it isn't bad at all! I wasn't even groggy after I woke up I just felt tipsy and silly! Also the procedure only lasts around 25-30 minutes so it's not a heavy dose of anesthesia :) you will be fine!

Hey! I had all four wisdom teeth taken out on Monday and I had IV sedation. I was extremely nervous going in, but I don't even remember falling asleep and when I woke up I told my parents and fiancé in recovery that it was fun and I wanted to do it again lol! Honestly it isn't bad at all! I wasn't even groggy after I woke up I just felt tipsy and silly! Also the procedure only lasts around 25-30 minutes so it's not a heavy dose of anesthesia :) you will be fine!

Thanks for replying! I’m glad it went well for you ? I feel a bit better now, my appointment is next Monday. Ur reply has reassure me abit

Back