• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Teeth Removal - Swollen Cheek Questions

M

MariMoo

I’ve been researching on and off this site and I’ve gotten bits and pieces of answers but nothing for sure. The only post I can find on this topic seems to be close to a year old so I will try to bring it up again.

Long post. I apologize. But I would like to put any and all information..

I will be turning 18, in June, if that matters.
Three, almost four, days ago, I got my wisdom teeth out. The procedure went fine and quick. There was no issues.
I went home, and I was okay when I was taking the pain meds that were prescribed. They did help. But it did, and still does, really hurt.
At first, only my left cheek swelled up, and this was on the first day and half of the second day. Halfway through the second day my right cheek began to swell up. And this was fine because I was expecting it to happen.
Shortly after that, I began to get a hard lump on the lower part of my right cheek, pretty much right on my jaw line. It wasn’t very painful to touch or anything but I wasn’t expecting it to be there and I wasn’t sure why it was there. I don’t know if it’s bad or not.
Now, when I touch it, it is only slightly painful. But my whole lower right side of my face hurts all the way up to my ear.
From researching, the only thing I could find on this was that the lump could be filled with puss, and could be an infection. This really worries me and I have no idea if I should tell my mother about this so she can take me to the dentist or my dental surgeon, which is the person who removed the teeth, to have it looked at or fixed.
I am still having trouble opening my mouth to eat, and from reading, that seems to be normal.
I see no sign of my gums being swollen.
However, I do have braces. And I’m wondering if the bracket in the back of my mouth is causing my cheek to be more swollen than someone’s without braces. This bracket seems to be submerged in my swollen cheek and if I touch that area with my finger to push my cheek off of the bracket, it causes a little bit of extra pain to the already constant throbbing pain that I have on the lower right side of my face.

Any information would be perfect. From as little as “go to your dentist/dental surgeon” to any sort of advice or story on your experience with wisdom teeth removal. I just need some kind of reassurance because I have been so worried about this since even before the extractions happened. I have severe dental anxiety..

Hi MariMoo and welcome on the forum. I am sorry that you didn't get any replies so far and hope that your situation got a little bit better by now. Sadly I do not have any dental knowledge, but would like to encourage you to make an appointment in your dental practice. Not because I think it's something bad but because your dentist is the best person to see what's going on and can best reassure you. It's ok to be worried after a procedure and it's a good idea to get reassurance from your dentist to have a peace of mind. Having the dentist having a look and telling you 'it's ok' can do wonders and save you from further searching and worrying, especially when you have dental phobia.

All the best wishes and let us know how you are doing.

Back