• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV SEDATION help ?

N

npraoz

Hey guys
So I need a crown lengthening procedure done, I’ve had general anesthesia before and under those circumstances I realized I was in a much riskier position. Especially bc before that operation I had a fever and was tachycardic from an twisted ovarian cyst.
But wnywho i figured if I can do that and be fine after and make it through that surgery I’ll be fine with this. But literally in 2 hours I’m having this procedure and I’m scared?????
I’m nervous because:
1, how am I conscious but not gonna be able to remember anything ?
2. Is it pain free ? Will it be like general where you’re out after they put the medication in?
3. I think I’ve had IV sedation before? Because I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 16, and they put a pulse OX Monitor on me and then inserted an IV and said count down from ten and I barely remember counting. Best experience I didn’t rmeneber anything just walking to my car in a drunken state. Versus after general I was pretty coherent but just really sleepy, and I could walk easily. Does this sound like IV to you? If so I think I’ll be okay!

Hi, how did your procedure go? :)

You are conscious but extremely relaxed. After the procedure it'll appear as if you were sleeping because you won't remember much, if anything at all. Totally pain free. You're not even aware of your surroundings while you're under. Yes, that sounds like IV sedation. I had a very similar experience two weeks ago.

Best of luck! you'll be perfectly fine :)

I did it guys. I was starting to get really sleepy, but he gave me the meds slowly. I guess I eventually drifted off to sleep. I don’t remember even ending up in my bed. I had crown lengthening done and man, the surgical site is really sensitive. Idk how much longer I can go eating soft foods

I did it guys. I was starting to get really sleepy, but he gave me the meds slowly. I guess I eventually drifted off to sleep. I don’t remember even ending up in my bed. I had crown lengthening done and man, the surgical site is really sensitive. Idk how much longer I can go eating soft foods

Well done npraoz!! Give yourself a pat on the back, you did it! Soft foods - hmm, ask your dentist but just as soon as the surgery site heals. I remember getting pretty sick of tomato soup aha. But hey. means you get to eat icrecream right?

Well done npraoz!! Give yourself a pat on the back, you did it! Soft foods - hmm, ask your dentist but just as soon as the surgery site heals. I remember getting pretty sick of tomato soup aha. But hey. means you get to eat icrecream right?

Thanks guys
It wasn’t bad
I would choose IV sedation if the procedure needed it.
I have a different problem now though, healing nicely
But they gave me Peridex which I started to use a few days after surgery. I think it burned the tip of my tongue. Taste hasn’t been affected but it’s definitely annoying to feel, burning on the tip of my tongue and it feels rough. I threw all that nasty medicine down the freaking toilet. I am never using mouthwash again!!!! ?
Also switched my toothpaste back to all natural for now. Until this burn or whatever it is goes away on my tongue. I woke up Monday with it, it’s now Wednesday, hoping it goes away soon because the feeling is SOOO annoying ...
It’s bad enough being sore from surgery but then getting burned from a mouthwash on top of that ? Ughhhh

Thanks guys
It wasn’t bad
I would choose IV sedation if the procedure needed it.
I have a different problem now though, healing nicely
But they gave me Peridex which I started to use a few days after surgery. I think it burned the tip of my tongue. Taste hasn’t been affected but it’s definitely annoying to feel, burning on the tip of my tongue and it feels rough. I threw all that nasty medicine down the freaking toilet. I am never using mouthwash again!!!! ?
Also switched my toothpaste back to all natural for now. Until this burn or whatever it is goes away on my tongue. I woke up Monday with it, it’s now Wednesday, hoping it goes away soon because the feeling is SOOO annoying ...
It’s bad enough being sore from surgery but then getting burned from a mouthwash on top of that ? Ughhhh

Sorry, man, that sounds so frustrating. You just had dental work and now there's something on top! Put some ice on that shit. Hope it heals up soon.

:bear:

Thank you for the update, I'm going through this same thing myself right now!

Back