• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Frequency of dental cleanings/checkups

G

geos

Hi,
I was wondering if some dentists could give me some peace of mind regarding how my dentist's office schedules my appointments. I had some issues and they recommended I would go every 4 months. However, every 4 months I only get a cleaning. They take x-rays and my dentists comes in for an examination only once a year. Obviously, if at a cleaning I have some issues I want my dentist to look, he can come in, for an additional fee.

I was wondering, is this the regular way of doing dental visits? I grew up in Quebec Canada, where an hygienist must work under a dentist and the dentist must always come in according to their professional order. Sometimes for a simple visual exam and sometimes a full exam with x-rays. I now live in Ontario Canada, where I believe an hygienist can work unsupervised, which would explain why the dentist doesn't come see me at each visits.

Hi,
I was wondering if some dentists could give me some peace of mind regarding how my dentist's office schedules my appointments. I had some issues and they recommended I would go every 4 months. However, every 4 months I only get a cleaning. They take x-rays and my dentists comes in for an examination only once a year. Obviously, if at a cleaning I have some issues I want my dentist to look, he can come in, for an additional fee.

I was wondering, is this the regular way of doing dental visits? I grew up in Quebec Canada, where an hygienist must work under a dentist and the dentist must always come in according to their professional order. Sometimes for a simple visual exam and sometimes a full exam with x-rays. I now live in Ontario Canada, where I believe an hygienist can work unsupervised, which would explain why the dentist doesn't come see me at each visits.

I live in Ontario too (grew up in Quebec), and have always had the dentist come in after the cleaning to do a quick check up. I don't go every four months though, usually once a year, so the fact that your dentist only sees you once a year makes a lot of sense to me. You need more frequent cleanings, so you have those by the hygienist alone.

Back