• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extractions...

L

Lexie35

Waiting to go in for my cleaning. While waiting, I booked my appointment for my extractions. March 23. Now I'm panicking... gulp.

How many are you getting pulled? I'm getting 5 out on the 26th. :(

I'm getting 4 pulled. I guess she wanted to do them last but one is pretty loose so I just want it dealt with. Sounds like they will just numb my whole lower jaw. I just kept saying I want to make sure I don't feel anything. I think I'm a wimp

I hear its easier for them to numb your teeth for extraction as opposed for fillings when they have to be more careful. Chances are it will probably only take a few minutes to pull them. Especially if one is already loose. Best of luck.

Hi Lexie, are you getting the lower front pull because of periodontal disease? Are you getting a partial, implants as part of the treatment plan?

I actually looked at my x-rays while in my appointment and saw how the teeth that are to be pulled are situated. It looks like I may only feel some pressure on one. I think I'm more nervous about how good this dentist is for giving injections...? Of course the dentist I go to isn't there full time. She bought the clinic but hops between the one I go to and the one she used to work at in a different town. (Maybe she owns that one too) She seems to only be at the clonoc I go to on Fridays. I was under the assumptions (Because at the last clinic I went to, they could) that the hygienists there can do cleanings & filling but I was told that the dentists do fillings there. Once these extractions are done I think I will feel much more at ease. She was saving the extractions for last. I was supposed to get my full cleaning done (I only have 1 more appointment to finish it) and all my fillings done prior to the extractions but we are going away next month & I want them gone. Then I don't have to worry about them or about them breaking or falling out or me swallowing it or who knows what else. My goal is to get the teeth pulled, go for my last cleaning, get a couple fillings, and then go back for some more fillings, & then I should be good for 4 months. I don't even want to talk about my wisdom teeth LoL. I think within 6 weeks I'll be good excluding my wisdoms. This site has helped me so much! It is a lifesaver for me!!

You’re a brave person, Lexie, and you’re going to do very well with your extractions. I admire your attitude of wanting to get it done and over so you can free up more space in your life for enjoyment. What a positive outlook you have. All will be well, and we will be here for support and a big pat on the back and hug when all is done! :)

Hi Lexie, are you getting the lower front pull because of periodontal disease? Are you getting a partial, implants as part of the treatment plan?

Alas, I was one that ignored oral hygiene. They are being removed due to periodontal disease. I was told I need to go in regularly. I may be one of the lucky ones that have to go in every 4 months for a cleaning to keep the plaque under control. I had a lot of buildup under the gums. I was going to get a fixed bridge but my dentist told me that the teeth that it would need to be attached to, also have some bone loss so unless I absolutely will come in like clockwork, she said she wouldn't recommend it. So I'm just getting a partial. I do plan on keeping up with my oral health though. I'm waiting until next month to get the partial though due to insurance so I'm not getting an immediate denture. Also, my hygienist said that my gums on the left side look really good since the treatment. I also jumped up & down like a school girl. I'm trying hard. I still slip with the flossing. But my gums only bleed with the teeth that need to be extracted.

You’re a brave person, Lexie, and you’re going to do very well with your extractions. I admire your attitude of wanting to get it done and over so you can free up more space in your life for enjoyment. What a positive outlook you have. All will be well, and we will be here for support and a big pat on the back and hug when all is done! :)

I don't think I want to be told what she is doing when except the needle just so I brace myself for it. Yesterday while I was getting a shot, it felt like the needle was going into my nose. Lol. I'd like her to make sure I'm really frozen and then 'git r dun'. My appointment is for an hour. When the pulling happens I think I'm just going to concentrate on my breathing & count.

Alas, I was one that ignored oral hygiene. They are being removed due to periodontal disease. I was told I need to go in regularly. I may be one of the lucky ones that have to go in every 4 months for a cleaning to keep the plaque under control. I had a lot of buildup under the gums. I was going to get a fixed bridge but my dentist told me that the teeth that it would need to be attached to, also have some bone loss so unless I absolutely will come in like clockwork, she said she wouldn't recommend it. So I'm just getting a partial. I do plan on keeping up with my oral health though. I'm waiting until next month to get the partial though due to insurance so I'm not getting an immediate denture. Also, my hygienist said that my gums on the left side look really good since the treatment. I also jumped up & down like a school girl. I'm trying hard. I still slip with the flossing. But my gums only bleed with the teeth that need to be extracted.

My lower front also gives me fits most of my life. I have a lot of bone loss there as well. I have no idea how long they will hold. I am praying 5-10 years or more. I am just in my mid 30s. My gums are firm and doesn't bleed when brushing after the deep cleaning. I go in every 4 months like you do to keep it under control. What I find best is to brush within 30 minutes after a meal, then water floss to remove the plaque that is left behind on the gumline. The water floss cannot clean in between the teeth so I do regular flossing at night. My dentist tells me to use warm salt water rinses each night. I cannot get use to the mouthwash with alcohol. It burns and the aftertaste is horrendous.

Have you chosen the type of partial you'll be getting yet? I heard mixed results, some like the flexible valplast . Some likes the metal clapse but it will show for a front partial. There's so little information out there on partial denture. It's either full or implants as replacements when I do some searching.

My lower front also gives me fits most of my life. I have a lot of bone loss there as well. I have no idea how long they will hold. I am praying 5-10 years or more. I am just in my mid 30s. My gums are firm and doesn't bleed when brushing after the deep cleaning. I go in every 4 months like you do to keep it under control. What I find best is to brush within 30 minutes after a meal, then water floss to remove the plaque that is left behind on the gumline. The water floss cannot clean in between the teeth so I do regular flossing at night. My dentist tells me to use warm salt water rinses each night. I cannot get use to the mouthwash with alcohol. It burns and the aftertaste is horrendous.

Have you chosen the type of partial you'll be getting yet? I heard mixed results, some like the flexible valplast . Some likes the metal clapse but it will show for a front partial. There's so little information out there on partial denture. It's either full or implants as replacements when I do some searching.

The irony is that apparently people never see my bottom teeth so the chance of anyone seeing the clasp is low. However, the estimate I received doesn't clarify which type it's for. One estimate I got was for a partial denture. The other was for a fixed bridge.

I saw a video about a type of partial that can have teeth added to it which I thought was neat. I also see a lot of information about implants (Which I'm not keen on) Due to the amount of bone loss I apparently have I doubt implants are even an option. A fixed bridge is out at the moment due to the bone loss on the adjacent teeth if I don't keep up my oral hygiene. I find the entire denture topic completely confusing and frustrating. I also find talking about dentures to people is embarrassing. So I come on here for support.

Lexie, I remember your first posts here and how you felt at the beginning of your journey and it feels like you are at an entirely different place now. It sounds like your dental team finally managed to earn your trust and also that you can much clearly define what you need to be able to get through the treatment and where the stress points might be. I also remember how long you were putting off the extractions and now, you sound dedicated and ready to get it done, despite anxiety. You are doing amazing and it's a pleasure to read about your progress. Very well done and I can't wait for your further posts. All the best for 23th!

Lexie, I remember your first posts here and how you felt at the beginning of your journey and it feels like you are at an entirely different place now. It sounds like your dental team finally managed to earn your trust and also that you can much clearly define what you need to be able to get through the treatment and where the stress points might be. I also remember how long you were putting off the extractions and now, you sound dedicated and ready to get it done, despite anxiety. You are doing amazing and it's a pleasure to read about your progress. Very well done and I can't wait for your further posts. All the best for 23th!

I was definitely putting off the extractions (& I think my dentist was trying to postpone them as well) but as time went on I was finding it harder and more frustrating trying to remember to eat differently due to the loose tooth in front. I go to sleep now and panic that it will fall out in my sleep or break off to a point where oral surgery (actual cutting my gums) is needed. I'm absolutely anxious and very nervous. I'm also a bit excited to go away next month so that is my drive.

As for post extraction pain, it can't be worse then the agonizing & excruciating pain I was in say 8 years ago when my wisdom teeth were bothering me. To go to sleep then, I shoved a piece of material in my mouth because I couldn't close my mouth all the way due to swelling. I told myself to give it 10 days & if it still wasn't better I would go to the dentist. On day 10 I was fine. Perhaps I'm more scared of the tools they use then the actual pulling. I will get all wound up again when it's time for my wisdom teeth extractions. But, for now, I want to stay calm & not fret. In a week it will be over with & I hope to be lying on the couch proud that I got it done. Or in a lot of pain asking myself what on earth did I do. ??

One more thing... at the clinic I go to, I was put in the chair (by the way, does anyone else struggle with sitting down on those things? I find it hard to do gracefully & I look like an idiot) & tilted back. The first time I started to panic but since then I've done it 3 times & it's fine now. Anyways, since I was lying down I looked at the ceiling & there's about 8 pictures of comic type frames. I had nothing better to do so I skimmed them. I got to a specific photo & I attempted to smirk. I mean how well can you smile with your mouth open? It was a picture of a 2 people, one in a dentist chair & the other with an open umbrella saying, 'Ok, you can spit now'. So happy this clinic has a sense of humor. Thought I'd share. I still chuckle over that one

Those chair are not comfortable at all, especially with those lights above. Are the lower front teeth you getting extracted lose? With bone loss and all.

Hi Lexie35, I just want to say congratulations for your facing your extractions with a positive outlook. :jump::) Best wishes to you on the 23rd! :clover:

Those chair are not comfortable at all, especially with those lights above. Are the lower front teeth you getting extracted lose? With bone loss and all.

The light above can definitely get annoying. One lower front tooth are quite loose. One is starting to get loose. And the other 2 seem to be snug. It's my own darn fault for not taking care of them like I should have. As Friday gets closer, I'm slowly starting to get more uneasy.

If they're wobbly, it should be an easier extraction for the dentist. Are you getting immediate partials?

If they're wobbly, it should be an easier extraction for the dentist. Are you getting immediate partials?

I also read that if they are already loose, the extraction will be easier. I was going to get immediate partials but since I'm getting the teeth pulled about a week before my insurance resets, I'm waiting until next week. I'm also browsing around because I think my dentist only offers a metal partial. I was looking into possibly the valplast type. I want to get more information on all type before I make my final decision. Also, from my understanding to get immediate dentures they need to make a mold and due to that 1 tooth being so loose, I don't think they'd be able to do the mold unless they froze me first. I'm new the all this so maybe I'm wrong.

If you don't want to go without appearance of missing teeth until you get your permanent partial, your dentist can make an essix retainer. It looks like an invisalign and cover the entire arch (lower or upper). Many who get an implant use the essix retainer as it doesn't sit on the gums so the implant doesn't get irritated and it hides your gaps. Good luck this Friday.

Back