• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extractions...

If you don't want to go without appearance of missing teeth until you get your permanent partial, your dentist can make an essix retainer. It looks like an invisalign and cover the entire arch (lower or upper). Many who get an implant use the essix retainer as it doesn't sit on the gums so the implant doesn't get irritated and it hides your gaps. Good luck this Friday.

I didn't know about the essix retainer. I didn't know that even existed. I hope everything goes well on Friday. Hoping they just pop out without a hitch. The waiting is so rough in my opinion.

Lexie, I remember your first posts here and how you felt at the beginning of your journey and it feels like you are at an entirely different place now. It sounds like your dental team finally managed to earn your trust and also that you can much clearly define what you need to be able to get through the treatment and where the stress points might be. I also remember how long you were putting off the extractions and now, you sound dedicated and ready to get it done, despite anxiety. You are doing amazing and it's a pleasure to read about your progress. Very well done and I can't wait for your further posts. All the best for 23th!

I have 2 days to cancel an appointment. Yesterday was 2 days before my appointment. I thought about cancelling but I didn't. Tomorrow is the day and im feeling really uneasy right now. My biggest fear is not getting numb. Gulp.

I have 2 days to cancel an appointment. Yesterday was 2 days before my appointment. I thought about cancelling but I didn't. Tomorrow is the day and im feeling really uneasy right now. My biggest fear is not getting numb. Gulp.
You can ask for a numbing gel before the actual numbing shot.

You can ask for a numbing gel before the actual numbing shot.

I have no problem with the shot. I worry about the actual numbing process. Anesthetic they use to freeze you.

Extractions are in about 16 hours. I'm scared. Totally panicking now.

How many are you getting pulled? I'm getting 5 out on the 26th. :(

Done deal. I got 6 pulled. 4 incisors and 2 wisdoms. I'm flying high. Really thirsty though. The anticipation is the worst.

Congrats Lexie. You've made it!

Was it an easy extraction? Especially the lower front.

I need to get a lower left wisdom tooth out. I have been putting it off for a year+ now. It is quite buried back and only partially seen.

Last edited:
Congrats Lexie. You've made it!

Was it an easy extraction? Especially the lower front.

I need to get a lower left wisdom tooth out. I have been putting it off for a year+ now. It is quite buried back and only partially seen.

Lower front was super easy. I thought she was starting to have trouble and asked for another tool. Then said the 4 teeth are out. I was like 'really? I've already taken some pain med. The first wisdom tooth was ok. The second one was harder but it did come out. She said she can take out my top wisdom tooth as well but I didn't what my whole mouth frozen.

Last edited:
Lower front was super easy. I thought she was starting to have trouble and asked for another tool. Then said the 4 teeth are out. I was like 'really? I've already taken some pain med. The first wisdom tooth was ok. The second one was harder but it did come out. She said she can take out my top wisdom tooth as well but I didn't what my whole mouth frozen.
Has your dentist map out a plan to get you partials?

Btw, were you required stitches after the extractions?

Last edited:
Has your dentist map out a plan to get you partials?

Btw, were you required stitches after the extractions?

I'm going back in April to start on the partial journey. No stitches were needed. I'm not really in pain. The only pain I seem to have is because on the wisdom teeth that were pulled. I'm a little swollen once again die to the wisdom teeth. And one part of my chin feels like a bruise might be coming. One thing that I'm finding frustrating is that since I'm missing teeth I have a lisp so I'm anxious for my partial. But I can't believe I was so scared of it. It was a walk in the park for me. I plan to get my last wisdom tooth pulled when I get a filling on the same side done. Happy it's over and that I can tell people my experience.

How many are you getting pulled? I'm getting 5 out on the 26th. :(

Zoidberg, best of luck tomorrow. I hope you have a dentist like I do. I was only supposed to get my 4 lower front teeth pulled. She took a look and said she could take out my 2 bottom wisdom teeth as well while I was there. I agreed. She numbed me extremely well, felt around & asked if I could feel anything. I didn't even realize it was done. As for my wisdom teeth, the first one wasn't bad but the second was rough. It didn't hurt but I felt horrible pressure and by the time I said 'ouch' it was already out. I'm 2 days post extraction and the pain really just started but it's manageable. Keep us posted. Oh and I did take Ativan for my appointment but when I go back for my last wisdom tooth to be pulled I don't think I will need it. You can do it!!

Back