• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can you get tested for sensitivity to dental anesthetics?

K

KatieH

The last time I had a dental anesthetic was over 10 yrs ago as I have been getting dental care from a dentist who uses a laser (no shot needed). I now need some work that requires numbing (possible re-treat of an old root canal gone bad or extraction). I can't tolerate epinephrine ever since childhood so it would be a numbing shot without epi.

During the last 6 yrs I have developed multiple chemical sensitivities and also have adrenal fatigue. I break out in hives and get an asthma attack from things I used to be able to tolerate with no problem. This includes foods and weird things like paint and perfume.

I want to be sure that I won't have a reaction to the numbing agent and want to know if I can be tested for sensitivity to Carbocaine (which is what my dentist said he would use). I know that Carbocaine is used on pregnant women so its probably the best tolerated. But this concern has stopped me from going through with the procedure. Any suggestion on where/how I can get tested? My MD, ND & dentist don't have any info for me on this front- each is telling me to ask the other(!). Thanks in advance.

Simple
dentist gives allergist a sample of the actual anesthetic that the dentist will use on you. The allergist tests you and gives the dentist the results.

Simple
dentist gives allergist a sample of the actual anesthetic that the dentist will use on you. The allergist tests you and gives the dentist the results.

Thx for the suggestion- I will try it.

Back