• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth Extraction: normal healing?

P

pleiades99

Five days ago I had a molar pulled...I followed everything the dentist said, I was so scared going in but she's a lovely person and she made me feel so safe. anyway, so I developed a blood clot...that night I rinsed with salt water, everything is fine. and then I noticed after the gargles the day after, the granulated tissue was disappearing from them! I wasn't doing anything vigorous, just letting the salt water touch the affected area and gently sway it...but today the hole seems so deep! I'm so scared...am I causing more harm then good with salt washes? I only do 2 a day btw....any help GREATLY appreciated...

Hi pleiades99,

first of all well done for getting through the extraction and happy to hear that you have found a lovely kind dentist! :) Rinsing with salt water is the very right thing to do. I don't think you have done something wrong - healing after an extraction is a process and the appearance of the tissue might change over time, but our bodies are really smart and know how to recuperate. As soon as you have no pain, you shouldn't worry too much and 5 days is quite a time so the healing process should be stable by now.

All the best wishes

Back