• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried something else is wrong now!

D

DebbieC55

I had a tough bottom molar extraction (failed root canal) a little over 4 weeks ago. Then last Friday (exactly 4 weeks later) since it was still hurting I went back again, and he found a root tip left behind, and I had a very difficult removal of that. The wound seems to be healing ok, sore, but not any pain. What is worrying me is the dull pain/soreness elsewhere! It hurts more ABOVE the extracted tooth! My whole gum area from the last top molar to where it meets the back of my mouth hurts. The back of my throat feels sore too on the side of the extraction, as does under my jaw. But the tooth and gum right above the extraction hurts the most. Is this normal? Is there yet something else wrong? I cannot take much more. I have been through hell with this tooth and I already suffer from anxiety attacks... and this is making me loose sleep and raise my blood pressure! I just want this tooth nightmare to be over

Hi DebbieC55,

sorry to hear about your troubles (and to see that you haven't get any replies to your previous posts yet), it must be exhausting to have issues with a tooth over and over again and then even after and extraction. Unfortunately I can't offer you any suggestion about what your pain might be caused by (may a dentist or experienced member give you an answer soon), but what you describe doesn't seem too normal to me and it would be a good idea to see your dentist. This might be something you hoped to be able to avoid and I understand that, but you shouldn't have to endure pain and worries. :(

All the best wishes and keep us posted.

I had a tough bottom molar extraction (failed root canal) a little over 4 weeks ago. Then last Friday (exactly 4 weeks later) since it was still hurting I went back again, and he found a root tip left behind, and I had a very difficult removal of that. The wound seems to be healing ok, sore, but not any pain. What is worrying me is the dull pain/soreness elsewhere! It hurts more ABOVE the extracted tooth! My whole gum area from the last top molar to where it meets the back of my mouth hurts. The back of my throat feels sore too on the side of the extraction, as does under my jaw. But the tooth and gum right above the extraction hurts the most. Is this normal? Is there yet something else wrong? I cannot take much more. I have been through hell with this tooth and I already suffer from anxiety attacks... and this is making me loose sleep and raise my blood pressure! I just want this tooth nightmare to be over
Bless you! Sorry you are having such difficulties with this. From what you describe, I wonder if it is simply a case of bruising in the area? It is surprising just how complex our mouths are with many nerves etc, and given that your dentist had to work very deeply with your extraction, it cannot be totally surprising that you are suffering some discomfort a while after. My mother had a wisdom tooth out recently, and she had quite a bit of discomfort for several days afterwards. I would agree with others that you should approach your dentist for a follow up and moreover get piece of mind that all is otherwise well. It is possible that perhaps you have suffered a little infection; again, your dentist is definitely the best person to advise on this.

Good luck, and hope things improve very quickly for you XX :)

Back