• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

GumEase - dental procedures with Kisko Freezie

Hi,
I live in Dublin and I am very anxious to buy GumEase, anyone know if i can buy it in Europe or the UK,very difficult to buy over the net from the USA. .:confused:

Hi :welcome:, is this for DIY purposes or are you working in the dental profession?

Hi,
If I can get it, then I will make an appointment with a dentist who will agree to use it. Do you kow where i might get it?

Cryodevices Ireland are actually based in Dublin. Here's a contact phone number and address: Cryodevices Ireland George Harrell President Tel. 916-254-8347 e-Mail: gharrellATcryodevices.com (replace AT with @).

If you have a credit card, you can also mail-order it from the US here: [broken link removed] (you'll need to set up a Google account to use this)

Are you aware of Mike's mixed report earlier in this thread? He was saying that while it seemed to work reasonably well for a deep clean, the device may not adequately numb you for other procedures. Is there any specific reason you don't want to have/can't have local anaesthetic? Just curious :). Wishing you the best of luck and let us know if the contact options above don't get you anywhere!

Hi,
Thank you indeed for all the information. I got on to Medicare in Donegal on Monday, they put it together and then send it to the US. They were unable to throw any light on the subject as to how I could buy it. I found 2 sites that sell it, Dental Depot and the one you mentioned, I have e mailed to the address you gave me now and last week to Michael O'Riordan the CEO, but so far no reply. I just need 2 filling's, I faint every time I get an injection in the gum. I have had filling's before without an anesthetic, but when I read about Gumease I thought it would be an improvement on not having anything. If I get a reply I will let you know.:)

Please do :).
If fainting is your main problem, there is a technique called "Applied Muscle Tension" which can help prevent fainting. Basically, at the first sign of a problem, you tighten your arm, leg, and torso muscles for 10 or 20 seconds, until your face feels warm. Then slowly relax them. You may want to practice this technique with a psychologist, who may also help with more general needle desensitisation, if that is a problem.
Just thought I'd mention it in case you ever need a local anesthetic.
Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:! Mike may know a little more about how to order them, seeing how he's done it before... hopefully he'll be around before long!

I applaud your trying to improve your comfort level during treatment in the absence of local anaesthesia and this may work to some extent BUT there are other options....This link may help....

How to prevent fainting during dental injections

Many needle phobics can accept treatment if they are given nitrous oxide to breathe in (conscious sedation) either just while the LA is being administered or for the whole procedure. Alternatively if pain during administration is the issue, find a dentist with painfree technique (numbing gel plus slow delivery) or one with TheWand (computer-controlled delivery) which doesn't even look like a syringe.

This is the sedation page as well: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/sedation-dentistry/
and let's not forget hypnosis....not necessarily instead of local but as an adjunct to decrease the fear of needles.

Yet another option is a dentist using air abrasion or lasers to prepare cavities which may involve less pain than the traditional handpiece (drill) apparently.

Let us know how it goes if you do try the product. Good luck.

Thank you both for all your suggestion's, its actually the sound of the needle going into the gum, that is my problem, if I am unable to get my hand's on GumEase I will have to give your suggestion's some thought.

You've got me intrigued now - is there a sound :confused:. TBH, this is the first time I've come across this particular fear - and here I was thinking I'd heard them all ;D. Maybe I'm going deaf :o! Seriously though - is there a sound? If so, would listening to an MP3 player/iPod help with it? (or even the radio being turned up loud enough in the background?).

There is no sound that I've ever experienced - again nitrous would do the trick for that if you perceive one for some reason. The last dental injection I had, had no sensation attached to it whatsoever, it was like I hadn't been injected honestly and there was certainly no sound....could it be the sound of your heart beating away anxiously maybe?

The gumEase device actually works. I have used it myself.

My fiance has used gumEase to reduce pain from having her braces adjusted-she would use one or two each time she would start to feel throbbing pain.

It's probably no coincidence that both previous posters have e-mail addresses ending in @tcadig.com and have been posting similar material on other message boards in recent days :rolleyes:. I can only assume that this e-mail belongs to whoever sells the device (or their marketing team).

Apparently, gumEase (according to those dentists who've actually tried it out) is not very effective, unfortunately.

Well, I just ordered the box of 10 for myself... I go without local anesthetic at all usually... (though I do get nitrous oxide) but I can still feel everything, and I am hoping this will dull it a bit.

Not getting the needles does have to do with fear, but not a needle fear per say... they can stick me anywhere else in my body and I am fine... but in my jaw, I always get serious trismus and soreness afterward (of which OTC pain relievers do not help), not to mention I absolutely HATE the droopy fat drooling lip and slobbering slurring speech feeling! And they expect you to go back to work like that? SO not only do they expect me to deal with a swollen face, unable to speak, but then the numbness wears off and I just want to crawl into bed with pain killers to dull the aching, and a bottle of flexeril to help with the trismus. That's why LA is completely out for me.... at least in my jaw. I have had it in my hand for stitches and while it was sore after, my hand muscle didn't clamp shut like the jaw muscles do. I think my TMJ problems are related....

So that's why I dont get LA at all! I flat out refuse it, and endure the pain of the drill, under nitrous oxide to at least help me deal with it better, and anything that would help dull the drilling sensation, would be a godsend! Even if it dulled it by 1/3 it would make the apt go much better!

I ordered the box of 10 today, and my apt is about a month or so out (several old fillings need replacing because they are showing wear) so I will let you know how it works out.