• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had a root canal, and it went great!

P

Presley

Hi friends! I'm new to this forum, but I've been stalking just about every thread made about root canals from 2007 to now :)giggle:) and I finally decided to make an account here so I could share my pleasant experience and perhaps help others feel the comfort you guys brought me. So I'm very, very anxious- anxiety disorders, panic attacks (especially at the dentist), sobbing, the whole nine yards. I also have a very low pain tolerance. So when I was told I needed TWO root canals on my top front middle teeth, I was terrified! But my awesome dentist prescribed me Triazolam, and I was even afraid of that, because I don't like the idea of "mind-altering substances". But it did the trick, and I wasn't anywhere near as loopy as some people said they had been on it- I personally was just a little giggly and sleepy, and very relaxed- I felt a sense of detachment from what they were doing in my mouth, like I truly didn't care. One Triazolam and headphones with music playing made me super peaceful.

The shots themselves were NO WHERE NEAR as bad as I thought they were. I had to get four total, and I straight up didn't feel two of them due to already being numb, and the ones I did feel were like a quick pinch, nothing excruciating or scary like I thought it would be, even the palatal one! I'm telling you guys, I'm the biggest, crying, anxious, pain sensitive baby there is, and I couldn't believe how easy it was. After the shots, I felt no pain from the actual root canal itself, just some completely non-painful pressure and weird smells, but I didn't care much due to the Triazolam.

I also thought I would freak out of claustrophobia due to being laid down with people looming over me and the dental dam, but I was completely fine. The dam was actually nice due to there being a barrier between what they were doing and me.

It was a really pleasant experience, and I just wanted to share it in case it made anyone else feel better. And if you have any questions about it for me, don't be afraid to ask them! Thank you for everybody who posted and unknowingly helped me when I read your threads. You guys are amazing people, and from one anxious patient to another...you can do it! :):clover:

Hi Presley, what a lovely story! Well done for having managed to get through the treatment and thank you for coming back to share your experience. I am sure it will serve as a great inspiration to others :)

Thank you for sharing yes.!!! It is always nice to hear stories of reassurance from one anxious pt to another :).

Well done!! Sounds like a good experience. I joined this forum about a month ago as I had really bad toothache and was a nervous wreck about what a dentist would say about my teeth. I rang around and managed to find a really nice dentist who understood my fears and previous pain due to lack of anaesthetic and the fear of the drill. I had to have 2 fillings, a clean and a wisdom tooth extraction, which I was worried about as it had fused with my jawbone and I'd heard of terrible stories about losing feeling in the mouth, droopy lips etc.,

She explained what was going to happen, didn't make me feel like a freak and did the work over 3 weeks. The last one was yesterday and I have to say I don't feel worried or scared anymore. The feeling of nice fresh breath and no cavities is wonderful, so I would say to anyone who is frightened just try and find an empathetic dentist and you will be fine.:):clover:

Back