• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting dentures immediate/ perma Please dont be afraid ... here is my story

C

Chelseajohn

Hi all first post here but read a lot of brilliant advice leading up to my decision and I wanted to share my story with you, hopefully even if it helps one person take the plunge or relieves one person’s fear then it will be worth it.

I am 48 years old and since the age of 15 always had a fear of the dentist, due to a combination of poor dental care on my behalf and avoiding the dentist for checkups I found myself at the age 26 with rotten and missing top teeth. I had a implanted front tooth which over the year came out, such was my fear of thedentist I actually used to super glue the tooth back in (please do not try this at home ! ) which of course led to further problems with my gums, glue and gums don’t mix !

My Daughter then began a job as a dental receptionist and persuaded me to go and at least see the dentist as she was worried what the state of my teeth could belead to other problems, reluctantly I agreed….. I now look back on it as one of the best decisions I ever made!

Gone were the dark surgery’s, medieval torture equipment and the man in the bloodstained green gown with the scary red devil eyes and in their place was abright welcoming room with a friendly man is a nice white jacket, the tools on the table were small and shiny and not what I had seen years ago. Above all the dentist was not judgmental, he simply looked at the situation and then sat withme to discuss my options.

I decided on what in writing sounds like the worst offer any human could give another human but such was my new found trust and belief that I was actually looking forward to it. The option I chose was to have 11 rotten teeth removed and immediate dentures inserted, as I didn’t want to be seen with no teeth atall, in reality that would probably have looked better anyway but hey vanity is an evil thing monster, my dentist at this point took a mold of my upper teeth and gaps and told me to book in for 2 weeks and we could get started. I will point out at this stage that these immediate dentures really are a guestimate as there are teeth there already

So 2 weeks later I woke up feeling not as confident as was in the days leading up to it but I made my way to the dentist and was welcomed warmly as ever and made to feel comfortableand relaxed as I could be. The dentist showed me my new denture and off we went… a few injections later and my mouth was numb and the journey began. 35 minutes later he rinsed my mouth and handed me a mirror and told me to smile at myself….. you have no idea how it felt tosee myself with shiny white teeth that looked exactly like real teeth, to those who may worry that people can tell dentures, trust me they real cant such is the skill available these days. I left the surgery feeling like a film star. I knew that these were only temporary as your gums will shrink and the denture will become loose, in my case the healing process took around 5 months, however the hardest park was only learning how to not use too much adhesive to keep them in as my gums healed, again trust me this is a minor inconvenience in the bigger scheme of things. During my healing time I did have to return twice just to have minor adjustments made to the plate where it had started to rub as my gums shrank but of course this is not a painful adjustment as the teeth are not real! I actually handed him the denture and stood and watched … a few minutes later I was on my way home again.

This all over the past 5 months, one month ago I went back the dentist as my gums had healed and shrunk enough for my permanent denture to be made. The process consisted of 3 appointments, 1 –do the mold – 2 when the draft version come back have afitting and test the bite (basically checking they line up etc ) before they are sent for waxing and today was appointment number 3 to take delivery and fitting of the new teeth

I have just returned to work with a perfect smile and perfect fitting denture, they feel a lot less bulky and line up perfectly and they fit nice and snug, no need now for adhesive.

I would strongly recommend doing what I did as I can now eat what smile in photos and generally feel pretty good about myself.

There must at least thing negative thing I can hear you say, well yes there is …waiting 20 years to restore my smile.
I hope anyone in doubt reads my story and at least summons the courage to have a chat with your dentist and discuss your options.
Oh yeah and this was all done a NHS dentist not Private
Go on go and do it you know it makes sense

Re: Getting dentures immediate/ perma Please dont be afraid ... here is my story

Hi all first post here but read a lot of brilliant advice leading up to my decision and I wanted to share my story with you, hopefully even if it helps one person take the plunge or relieves one person’s fear then it will be worth it.I am 48 years old and since the age of 15 always had a fear of the dentist, due to a combination of poor dental care on my behalf and avoiding the dentist for checkups I found myself at the age 26 with rotten and missing top teeth. I had a implanted front tooth which over the year came out, such was my fear of thedentist I actually used to super glue the tooth back in (please do not try this at home ! ) which of course led to further problems with my gums, glue and gums don’t mix !My Daughter then began a job as a dental receptionist and persuaded me to go and at least see the dentist as she was worried what the state of my teeth could belead to other problems, reluctantly I agreed….. I now look back on it as one of the best decisions I ever made! Gone were the dark surgery’s, medieval torture equipment and the man in the bloodstained green gown with the scary red devil eyes and in their place was abright welcoming room with a friendly man is a nice white jacket, the tools on the table were small and shiny and not what I had seen years ago. Above all the dentist was not judgmental, he simply looked at the situation and then sat withme to discuss my options. I decided on what in writing sounds like the worst offer any human could give another human but such was my new found trust and belief that I was actually looking forward to it. The option I chose was to have 11 rotten teeth removed and immediate dentures inserted, as I didn’t want to be seen with no teeth atall, in reality that would probably have looked better anyway but hey vanity is an evil thing monster, my dentist at this point took a mold of my upper teeth and gaps and told me to book in for 2 weeks and we could get started. I will point out at this stage that these immediate dentures really are a guestimate as there are teeth there already So 2 weeks later I woke up feeling not as confident as was in the days leading up to it but I made my way to the dentist and was welcomed warmly as ever and made to feel comfortableand relaxed as I could be. The dentist showed me my new denture and off we went… a few injections later and my mouth was numb and the journey began. 35 minutes later he rinsed my mouth and handed me a mirror and told me to smile at myself….. you have no idea how it felt tosee myself with shiny white teeth that looked exactly like real teeth, to those who may worry that people can tell dentures, trust me they real cant such is the skill available these days. I left the surgery feeling like a film star. I knew that these were only temporary as your gums will shrink and the denture will become loose, in my case the healing process took around 5 months, however the hardest park was only learning how to not use too much adhesive to keep them in as my gums healed, again trust me this is a minor inconvenience in the bigger scheme of things. During my healing time I did have to return twice just to have minor adjustments made to the plate where it had started to rub as my gums shrank but of course this is not a painful adjustment as the teeth are not real! I actually handed him the denture and stood and watched … a few minutes later I was on my way home again.This all over the past 5 months, one month ago I went back the dentist as my gums had healed and shrunk enough for my permanent denture to be made. The process consisted of 3 appointments, 1 –do the mold – 2 when the draft version come back have afitting and test the bite (basically checking they line up etc ) before they are sent for waxing and today was appointment number 3 to take delivery and fitting of the new teethI have just returned to work with a perfect smile and perfect fitting denture, they feel a lot less bulky and line up perfectly and they fit nice and snug, no need now for adhesive.I would strongly recommend doing what I did as I can now eat what smile in photos and generally feel pretty good about myself.There must at least thing negative thing I can hear you say, well yes there is …waiting 20 years to restore my smile. I hope anyone in doubt reads my story and at least summons the courage to have a chat with your dentist and discuss your options.Oh yeah and this was all done a NHS dentist not PrivateGo on go and do it you know it makes sense
Thanks for telling your story. I`ve read seen ads with dentists claiming "get a new smile in 24 hours" etc but am always sceptical as well as terrified to go to any dentist. So you had 11 extractions and temp denture fitted in 35 minutes? Impressive. How long did it take you to recover from treatment? One of many excuses I have for not going to the dentist is the time off work I`d need.

Re: Getting dentures immediate/ perma Please dont be afraid ... here is my story

I'm happy for your great experience but I do want everyone on this forum to know that each experience and level of post treatment satisfaction is individual. What all of us should expect is a doctor who is respectively and gives a good effort at a successful result.

Hi Worried.... i had the work done on a friday and was back at work on the Monday. i used to weekend to get used to wearing them and admiring myself in the mirror. ? i was able to eat soft food like scrambled egg the same day. I had pasta salads for dinner for the next 10 days while the soreness went down then moved to sandwiches and more chewy stuff. The initial discomfort for me was about a day then each new day it felt better. Of course individual circumstances may differ but all i do is tell my story and how positive it had been. the feeling of biting into a burger normally for the first time in many msny years was awesome ! Now i can eat pretty much
what ever I want... even had a piece of chewing gum last week ?

Back