• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

14 extractions! You CAN do it!

• Thread starter Deleted member 28125
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 28125

Former Member
Hi everyone,
I promise if you're reading this and are panicking and afraid: it's not as bad as you think! I know it sounds cliche but hear me out.
Yesterday I had 14 extractions, WITHOUT any laughing gas or sedation. I was petrified. I've had awful dentist experiences since I was a little child. The worst part is the fear, like many others have said.
To those who can't afford to search around for a dentist they truly like, and those in a financial situation where there's no way out: I understand. I was scared of going septic and on antibiotics twice a year. Living on ibuprofen and Tylenol. Your health and life is not worth waiting! For those who are really scared, please let that be your driving force: don't let fear get in the way of having a healthy life.
If you are going in for extractions, I can tell you it really wasn't that bad. The shots pinch but it felt relieving to know I'd feel no pain. As each tooth came out, it felt like a burden was lifted. I ate ice cream for the first time in 8 years!!
I also felt silly for being so scared. As a child I would puke and once fainted in a dentist's office from anxiety. If I can calmly sit for a few hours, anyone can. It helped me to remember that my grandma was so poor she had her teeth all extracted without anything to numb her. I'd consider us lucky to not feel it! I also brought ear buds for music, which definitely helped.
I can't wear my immediate dentures just yet but I'll get there (dentist gave the okay with that). I have to get my lowers extracted also but I'm not worried. Even without my dentures in, the swelling and soreness, I feel so relieved. Last night I didn't want to sleep because I was happy LOL!
You can do this! And I read a few posts for folks looking for experiences with no nitrous or sedation: I feel like #1 it saved a lot of money not doing it and #2 I felt better being aware what was happening. #3 I kept thinking of the quote "The only thing to fear is fear itself". :)

Sounds like a great relief!! REally brave job on your end getting this done and hope the healing is all going well!

Thank you for sharing this! I've got to get at least four teeth extracted :( It'll be more complex maybe because they are broken to the gum line just about. It's nice to read this though! Just need to take the second step to actually schedule that.

Back