• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

People who rejected for years an impacted wisdom tooth extraction - Talk to me!

M

MinuteTooth

Hello everyone
First of all, I would like to thank all the dear people who help and support here.
I am 29 years old, on situation where the title is mentioned, I have an impacted wisdom tooth in a horizontal position that I have been afraid to extract for years.
The situation deteriorated, there is a deep decay, recurrent infections and pain and I reached the inevitable conclusion that extraction is inevitable.
My short question is for people who were in a similar situation and finally extracted the wisdom tooth:
How was that for you?
How were the postoperative pains you dealt with, in relation to the pain you suffered back and forth during the years past, that times when you rejected the extraction every time anew?
And was it, in the end, so terrible as you thought?

Thank you very much and wish you just health! :)

Last edited:
Re: People who rejected for years an impacted wisdom tooth extraction - Talk to me!

It’s been a long time since I had my wisdom teeth out but I was older than you - maybe 32. One was impacted, broken, and sideways. I went to an oral surgeon and had IV sedation for that one. I woke up to someone saying my name. The tooth was already out and I thought they were just starting. Taking pain killers before the freezing wore off and then at regular intervals afterwards minimized discomfort during the healing process

Re: People who rejected for years an impacted wisdom tooth extraction - Talk to me!

Dear MinuteTooth,

your decision to put off the extraction for as long as possible is understandable and a lot of people do it this way (I waited with mine until no longer possible as well). Why would someone voluntarily undergo surgery...
What I can tell you is, that wisdom teeth extraction do not have to be scary and the fact that you waited with it doesn't mean you will have any more troubles after the extraction as a 'normal' person. Postoperative pain is no big deal, you just take a painkiller before the procedure starts and will keep taking it for the first days until you notice that there is no pain anymore - just as Marsbars suggests. I had all my 4 wisdom teeth out in one session and the procedure as well as the recovery were much easier than I thought. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't be much afraid anymore.

May I ask you what exactly it is that scares you about the extraction?

I waited until I was 30 - I think they stated telling me I needed them out when I was 16. I had 2 full impacted and 2 erupted wisdom teeth. I think I had them out on a Friday and was back to work Tuesday (there was a Monday holiday). This was about 10 years ago so I don’t remember all the details, but I remember the pain being manageable with Advil and Tylenol. I am definitely glad I did it and I never have to think about them again.

I had mine out at the ripe old age of 35. But unlike you, I didn't have any problems with them. I actually had them extracted because I was getting braces. I do regret not getting them out sooner because it turns out that one of my wisdom teeth had caused a deep cavity in my 2nd molar. The molar is fine now but because of the location of the cavity, I was told there's a 80% chance I would need a root canal sometime down the road.

I got all 4 of my wisdoms plus 4 premolars out under general anaesthesia. Recovery was uneventful, I didn't take extra painkillers before nor after the surgery and I did not experience any pain nor swelling. Eating was frustrating because I had so many holes is strategic places, but things were fairly normal past the 1 week mark.

Back