• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Tooth Stuck In Bone... Advice?

O

OliJM

I'm having a lot of trouble with two of my wisdom teeth, so I require advice/opinions here.

In my lower jaw I have two impacted wisdom teeth. One on the left has erupted at a angle to the neighboring teeth, and one I only found out until recently is actually stuck in the bone, and my dentist said it won't grow further.
Both cause enormous glands swelling around them for over a year and are painful(especially the one stuck in the bone) I feel ill all the time.

A while ago I had a X-ray of my teeth and found I had my first impacted wisdom tooth. After a few months it started hurting so I went to my dentist. He said a oral surgeon would have to remove it and he referred me there, and I said I wanted sedation.

The surgeon said they weren't unable to provide sedation, only local anaesthetic which personally didn't appeal to me. He said my other lower wisdom tooth was fine and nothing to worry about...

I went to my dentist again to try get referral for a sedation clinic, and my dentist said its a long waiting list (several months) He then said my other lower wisdom tooth isn't growing and stuck in the bone marrow. I don't understand as they've taken X-Rays of my mouth years before and the surgeon I saw said it was fine.
My dentist then mentioned they may not be able to remove my tooth stuck in the bone, because they could assess it to be too risky.

Now I'm stuck with these terrible teeth disrupting my daily life.
What can I do other than wait? I haven't been happy the way its all been handled.
Can surgeons normally remove teeth stuck in bone marrow? If not is this tooth going to cause me trouble forever?

Thanks.

Dear OliJM,

sorry to read about your situation, wisdom teeth suck..

First of all, it's good that you know your preferences (sedation) for the treatment and that is the way to go. I do not know in which country you live and how the system there works, but it might be a good idea to just keep looking for options. There must be a possibility to get the treatment under sedation a little bit earlier than after months of waiting..

You say that both of the wisdom teeth are causing you those enormous glands, that sounds like a problem that should get treated and you dentist should be able to help you with that. Did he offer you any solution to solve the glands if the tooth would stay? It is not unusual to get more opinions from different dentists and in case of wisdom teeth it might be the best to listen to an opinion of a surgeon who spends a lot of work time removing wisdom teeth.
I understand that you are upset about having done x-rays few years ago and not being told they have to get out. On the other hand, years is a long time (especially for wisdom teeth) so that might have been some unpredictable changes that make the wisdom tooth removal necessary now.

All the best wishes, keep us posted and try not to let those teeth ruin your daily life.

Dear OliJM,

sorry to read about your situation, wisdom teeth suck..

First of all, it's good that you know your preferences (sedation) for the treatment and that is the way to go. I do not know in which country you live and how the system there works, but it might be a good idea to just keep looking for options. There must be a possibility to get the treatment under sedation a little bit earlier than after months of waiting..

You say that both of the wisdom teeth are causing you those enormous glands, that sounds like a problem that should get treated and you dentist should be able to help you with that. Did he offer you any solution to solve the glands if the tooth would stay? It is not unusual to get more opinions from different dentists and in case of wisdom teeth it might be the best to listen to an opinion of a surgeon who spends a lot of work time removing wisdom teeth.
I understand that you are upset about having done x-rays few years ago and not being told they have to get out. On the other hand, years is a long time (especially for wisdom teeth) so that might have been some unpredictable changes that make the wisdom tooth removal necessary now.

All the best wishes, keep us posted and try not to let those teeth ruin your daily life.

hey Enarete,

I really appreciate your reply and help, thank you. I live in England, and have all my dental treatment under NHS.

My dentist only said to use a salt water rinse or come back for antibiotics if it gets really bad. its not incredibly painful but gets very uncomfortable in recent weeks. I suppose he meant that in terms of reducing the glands which get very big.

it'd be good to get a opinion from a surgeon. That's what will happen when my referral finally comes through. I'm not sure how I could see one quicker without a referral.

is it quite rare surgeons can't remove a tooth because it'd be too dangerous to operate if you know? My dentist said it could be risky because of the nerves around the bone its stuck in.. Hopefully all goes well and they can :)

I had all four wisdom teeth impacted and removed. My two lower molars were both in the bone quite deep. I was 18 at the time, and am nearing 40 now, so there have been many improvements to oral surgery since that time. I remember the dentist telling me and my parents that the two lower wisdom teeth were going to be problematic due to proximity to the nerve.

The oral surgeon wasn't worried at all, said they would have to come out in pieces so as not to disturb the nerve. It was done under general anesthesia. I can't imagine that with no sedation! The procedure went fine and there were no isssues with the nerve. That was before all the fancy panoramic and 3d x rays to help them see where the nerve is in relation to the tooth.

I would definitely keep searching for a different oral surgeon. Go ahead and have your dentist set you up, so you have an appointment, but then you could keep searching yourself as well.

is it quite rare surgeons can't remove a tooth because it'd be too dangerous to operate if you know? My dentist said it could be risky because of the nerves around the bone its stuck in.. Hopefully all goes well and they can :)

No. Surgeons are surgeons and have a special training in special skills that are required when it comes to such things. They also spend their days removing impacted wisdom teeth that are near the nerve (lower wisdoms are in the most cases near the nerve by the way) and doing other procedures that require huge precision.
Dentists can provide some level of surgery too, it is just not their main domain. So your dentist refering you due to complexity (for him) does not mean that it would be any complex for a surgeon, as MountainMama suggests. On the contrary, you got the referral because the surgeon will know what to do.

Back