• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain in extraction site when stitches fall out? (1 week)

M

MountainMama

My dentist tells me I am the anomoly amongst her patients, and I haven't been able to find any information about this online, so this may just be my own issue.

Is it normal for the extraction site to hurt each time stitches fall out? The extraction was my lower 2nd molar, and the extraction sites looks good. It isn't red or swollen. I had bone grafting material put in, if that makes a difference.

Today, the main stitch down the center fell out, and all the small stitches have loosened up, and it aches terribly. The first molar next to it is aching as well.

More stitches have fallen out, and the "hole" in the center is visible now. Part of it looks black. Is that a blood clot, or just a deep spot? It still hurts. Not terribly, as I am able to make do with just 500 mg tylenol, but enough to be uncomfortable. The teeth next to the site still ache as well. 10 days now since extraction. Normal?

Sorry for all the questions...I like to know exactly what I am dealing with. It makes me less anxious. I can't call the oral surgeon's office with questions until Monday.

Sorry to read this, MountainMama. Sadly I can't give you any explanation about whats going on, but sending you good vibes and hope you get a reply from someone experienced soon. :clover:

Sorry to read this, MountainMama. Sadly I can't give you any explanation about whats going on, but sending you good vibes and hope you get a reply from someone experienced soon. :clover:

Thanks. Between the extraction site pain and my front tooth still hurting 4 days after a root canal, I am wondering if my mouth just will not heal, or if all my nerves are just messed up.

More stitches have fallen out, and the "hole" in the center is visible now. Part of it looks black. Is that a blood clot, or just a deep spot? It still hurts. Not terribly, as I am able to make do with just 500 mg tylenol, but enough to be uncomfortable. The teeth next to the site still ache as well. 10 days now since extraction. Normal?

Sorry for all the questions...I like to know exactly what I am dealing with. It makes me less anxious. I can't call the oral surgeon's office with questions until Monday.

Probably a blood clot. Hard to say for sure without seeing it. The aching beside it is pretty normal, depends how much force the dentist used on the next door tooth to get that one out.

Self dissolving stitches work by being irritating enough to the body that they get attacked by the defence cells, so it's not unreasonable for the area to be a bit achey when the stitches are coming out.

Probably a blood clot. Hard to say for sure without seeing it. The aching beside it is pretty normal, depends how much force the dentist used on the next door tooth to get that one out.

Self dissolving stitches work by being irritating enough to the body that they get attacked by the defence cells, so it's not unreasonable for the area to be a bit achey when the stitches are coming out.

Thank you. That makes me feel better about it. I know the oral surgeon had to use that lever thing several times, and my teeth were tight together, so that makes sense.

Okay, the gray/brown spot is bigger. I am guessing it is not infected, since I am not having any swelling, or other signs of infection, but is the color normal? I am going to try to attach a picture. Sorry for the lighting. I don't want to go back to the oral surgeon if it isn't a big deal, especially since it is a 40 to 45 minute drive. The one thing that concerns me is that one of the stitches goes into the gray area. I have been doing salt water rinses, and this may be a dumb question, but how do I know that food didn't get stuck in there when the stitches were coming out? 20181021_192753.jpg

That looks like granulation tissue, it's perfectly normal and it doesn't matter about the stitches going through it :)

That looks like granulation tissue, it's perfectly normal and it doesn't matter about the stitches going through it :)

Thank you! I won't worry about getting it checked out, then. Saves me a long trip. The pain is less today as well, so that makes me feel better. At least if I have to get another one pulled, I knoe what to expect now.

Back