• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower molar extraction, fear of blood and emetophobia

M

My_goose_ is _cooked

hello everyone.

I was supposed to have a tooth extracted today. It's badly broken from childhood.had several fillings and eventuallya Gold crown fitted 27 years ago. Crown wore through and dentist said there was infection there so I have had two temporary crowns over last 8 months. I am not afraid of the process of extraction too much..but I cannot bear the taste of blood in my mouth..it makes me whoop until I vomit. I have an extremely sensitive digestive system and often the acidic taste of my own saliva makes me gag and or vomit. I also have a very limited diet as I am sensitive to tastes the results being gagging, coughing and vomiting.

I am also autistic. .therefore I need to make sure not even a trace of blood is in my mouth. My vomit reflex is extremely bad..If I start I can't stop..and it doesn't help that I am actually emetophobic and go crazy at the though oh vomiting.

I get so angry with my body for doing the very thing that terrifies me that I lose control and have meltdowns where I self harm. I did go to get the tooth extracted today but my stomach acid started coming into my mouth and I started whooping and spitting out foam so the dentist had to reschedule.

What can I do to ensure that the blood stops immediately. So it doesn't get to the vomiting stage?

Some sedation will help dampen your gag reflex, (inhalation sedation) gas and air will probably do it if your dentist offers it.

I'm assuming that your dentist is fully aware of the problem?

They should have a plan ready for you, which would be along the lines of:

1) Make sure the assistant is fully aware and has the high speed suction going at all times
2) As soon as the extraction is done, get some artificial blood clot (surgicel is the usual stuff) into the socket
3) Pop in a couple of stitches quickly to make sure the surgicel stays in place and that any bleeding afterwards is controlled

Hope this helps,

Hello Gordon or others,
I found this post you replied to a few years ago and also you have given me advice about a molar(31) extraction a couple months ago. My concern was about controlling bleeding post extraction and my fear with biting on gauze to to start clotting and stop bleeding as the biting on gauze makes me gag terribly. Here in the US the dental association and most dentists say to bite on gauze 30-45 minutes straight which I know I can't do. You helped by saying only 5 minutes is necessary and I am hopeful with your advice.( Getting ready to schedule soon too) I have found an oral surgeon that uses a hemostatic plug in socket and stitching which I assume will reduce bleeding as you suggested in your above post in 2018 when you mentioned surgicel. I will also have some sedation and hope they will use gauze while sedated still to stop any initial bleeding. Now that this extraction Is going to happen for sure I guess I am just looking for encouragement that it should go well and that I have done all I can to make sure it goes well considering my gagging phobia from gauze use. Also what do you think of using a folded tea bag held in place with my finger pressure to reduce any bleeding which may result after I am more awake as the teabag seems more tolerable than gauze.

Teabags are great, the tannin in the tea helps to promote clotting, so go for it. Personally I hate tea so I'd pick the gauze every time :)

Back