• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full Extraction & Immediate Dentures

Hello Angela, welcome to the forum! You're in good hands here :)

I had full extractions plus immediates. They will numb you on top of the laughing gas, so that will help. The numbing shots should not be super painful. You might feel a "pinch", which is not actually the needle (you don't tend to feel that part), but the anasthetic entering. In my experience it's never been enough to make me so much as wince, and I'm a pain wimp! A combination of gas and anasthetic should keep you pain-free, but remember the dentist can adjust dosages/apply more anasthetic if you are feeling any pain. Extractions are fairly quick. They can feel a little forceful, but the laughing gas will hopefully help you not care at all :p

And the aftermath wasn't bad at all. It's not like the sharp pain of a toothache, which is caused by angry nerves, it's more the pain of a healing wound. For me, it was only tender, and hurt if I prodded my face, but otherwise fine.

Absolutely ask your dentist for something for anxiety if you feel the need. The best way to look after yourself with dental work is to communicate plenty with your dentist, and make your needs clear. :)

I'm wishing I could have scheduled this much sooner. I will be off the whole week of thanksgiving so I chose that time. I won't have to miss more time. The bad thing is ive got all this time to imagine the worst. I have a life long needle phobia, a rather exaggerated one at that. I'm watching YouTube videos, looking at sites on the internet. It is helping to know what to expect. Don't laugh, but I found myself wishing my 2 front teeth would fall out. They are very loose and the dentist charges by the tooth. I'd save about $350. I decided to get into it a little and went shopping for some denture care products. I WILL be calling my dentist next month to get a script for something before the appointment. I know how I am, so I'm asking. All the YouTube videos of much younger people. Either us older folks don't know how or don't care about making videos. I thought about making one but just couldn't. I can't stand looking at myself! Im hoping that will change. When this is all done I'll will post again as to how it all went and how I'm doing.

The waiting can be the worst part. I had to wait several months for my procedure. I just tried to cope by putting it out of my mind. I didn't think too much about the process afterwards, because head-in-the-sand is my go-to method :p though honestly it can be better to be prepared.

One thing I'll warn you is that the immediates might be a shoddy fit at first. That's because they have to guess what shape your gums will take after extractions. This can be a really tough period for people - adjusting to full extractions and having dentures (which can feel bulky and foreign at first) is mentally taxing, and if the immediates don't fit, it's easy to just cry and think it's hopeless (which I did).

But it won't be hopeless. They can readjust the immediates as many times as needed. Adjustment comes in time.

Do update us, and if you need any support leading up to the procedure or after, feel free. :)

Hi Everyone,

This is one terrified grandma here! I am 62 years old and have had bad teeth all of my life with very little dental care. My ex-husband and children had dental care but no money left for mama.

I am now where they can't save anything and everything has to be removed. Because of repeated untreated abcesses in a wisdom tooth I now have a cyst in my jaw bone that encompasses almost the entire bone. They will have to fill that will grafting material, remove existing teeth and cut out stubs that were once teeth. This will be done while I am out via IV. I will have immediate dentures put in at the time of surgery.

I know this will not be fun and am very freightened. I also realize that the dentures alone will take some getting used to after having very few teeth for most of my life. My biggest concern is the length of my recovery period. I am working for a company that is getting ready, probably this week, to start laying off thousands of people. I am a female that is over 40 and a probable target. This is not a good time to be away where I can't protect myself.

So, here is what I would like some feedback on.

1. How bad is the pain after something like this? He is giving me plenty of drugs, but I have problems swallowing pills on a good day. I have to take a bite of something like banana, chew it up, stick the pill in the middle of it, and swallow. Will I be able to do this?

2. How long does the really bad pain last?

3. How bad is the nauseua?

4. In my head I see myself having surgery on Wednesday and being back at work on the following Monday. Is this realistic? If not, how long would I be out.

Did I mention that I am scared? :)

Please share your experiences with me -- good and bad. I am one that like to be prepared for the worst and then be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen. Then, if the worst happen and I am prepared I am more ready to deal with it.

Thanks for reading, I'm sorry it was so long!

Scarlett

I know the feeling of not having the finances to go to the dentist. And on top of that the fear of the dentist did not help....I ..like you, I have always had bad teeth....I am 44 and I have had my dentures now for about 1 month....I truly love them... I can smile again...my only frustration comes when I want to eat..I love food and cannot eat the way I use too.. I hear it takes time getting use to... not sure if I will ever adjust to that part. But all in all I am very pleased....Good luck to you..

Back