• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do you need antibiotics if you have an abscess?

S

shelly

Hello all

I am a recovering dental Phobic (Well ish).......................
I have had all my upper jaw treatment completed, (2 extractions and 6 fillings),

During the consultation, the dentist did and x-ray and to my dismay he discovered a huge abscess under my lower right premolar. This abscess does not hurt, but when I place my tongue over the decayed tooth I do get a nasty taste, (the tooth is decayed to gum level which im very ashamed to admit).

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand, why is it when you go to the dentist with an abscess they will not carry out any dental work they would prescribe you antibiotics, yet in my case the dentist has not prescribed anything, Will my tooth get numb?

Im REALLY scared as I have never had a lower jaw injection and all my friends have told me that this kills, I have had a injection to the front upper lip, which was sore , But bearable, Could anyone put my mind at rest . Please.......................?

Re: Too Scared to go back! Lower jaw injection & a

hi
my hubby has just had an rct on a bottom tooth which had a abcess that had been there a while and didnt hurt. he had no problems during the procedure and all he said was it was a bit sore after but the next morning it was fine and now is all better :jump: hope thats some help :)

:XXLhug: You will be ok. I had that SAME tooth extracted tuesday evening (not because of abcess, but it just deteriorated too much to save via root canal.. and my abject fear of the whole thing, from shot to extraction to after.

If your dentist is good about giving pain free upper shots, chances are he/she is gonna be just as good giving pain-free lower shots. I felt NOTHING = he put a numbing gel on the injection site(s) and I felt nada during the extraction process.. Just a lot of annoying pressure that made my jaw muscles sore after = I'm still a little sore today, and currently it's late afternoon Saturday where I"m at.. I had percoset for any pain after, and I didn't try to be a hero = I took the meds when I was done, and 4 hours later before bed.. Take the pain meds, you will be fine..

If you are scared, as I recommended to Cinderella in an earlier post - take a stressball in with you to squeeze - it helped me. you'll be ok :grouphug:

You only need to use antibiotics first if there's an ACUTE infection. The signs of acute infection are heat, redness and severe pain. You don't have that, you have a CHRONIC abscess, which doesn't need antibiotics first.

Back