• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

tooth sensitivitiy

alwaysworried

alwaysworried

Ok so I had my teeth cleaned 3 weeks ago. While she was cleaning the lower front teeth I almost flew out of my chair. She said that I had some exposed roots and my gums were receeding a bit. She was able to clean them from behind rather than on the front. I was scared that I had gum disease or something, but she said no I don't. The last time I got my teeth cleaned, I never felt that. My own dentist cleaned my teeth and didn't tell me anything about my bottom teeth.

It has been 3 weeks and I have pain in my lower teeth now. They mildly ache. It almost feels like they are being pushed out or something. I'm frusterated because I have been taking care of my teeth like crazy. I had my wisdom teeth out at the top and was so brave and now this. I can't win. I'm scared of what is going to happen now. What can I do to feel better?

I have to wonder why I bothered to get my teeth cleaned. My teeth weren't bugging me before the cleaning. Makes me wonder too if cleaning is really all that beneficial if it is going to cause all this crap.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just frusterated.:mad:

Sensitivity is often the result of exposed dentin (the layer of tooth underneath the enamel), and is very common. It is possible that removing the tartar from the teeth during the cleaning has exposed these areas - but this is a much better option than leaving it there, because in the long term, it can do serious harm.

You could try rubbing a desensitising toothpaste directly onto the affected areas for a few weeks and see if this resolves the problem. It seals the dentinal tubules which transmit pain and are probably responsible for the sensitivity. There are other, more powerful desensitising agents which your dentist can apply in-office, if this doesn't work.

Also check if you're not over-doing it (i.e. brushing too hard, too often etc.).

You can find out more here:

Hope you'll feel better soon!!

Last edited:
Back