• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A query about dentures, overbites and face shapes

P

Peter Pumpkinhead

I'm hoping someone has experience in this area and can offer some advice.

I'm trying to face the fact that I need upper extractions and a partial, or perhaps full plate. I've found (I think) a sympathetic dentist, and I want to be armed with information before I go to see him. I have an overbite that I detest, but at the same time, I have a rather young looking, and interesting face with upwards-slanting kind of cat's eyes (I'm a girl - despite my user name!) and years ago when I was thinking about getting braces, I was told by the surgeon that without an overbite, my face shape would change - my nose would drop, and my eyes would be rounder. I have mega issues with my looks, but I'm used to how I look, and I would prefer not to undergo a radical change. (I should mention that the "new" face shape the surgeon described is the same as some of my relatives, and I'm not really mad about it.)

I guess what I really want to know is if this information is correct. I'd like to be able to ask for dentures that are perfectly straight and gorgeous but with all the other adjustments I'm anticipating, I really don't want to have to adjust to a new face shape that I'm unhappy with. I know this is probably terribly vain, but it's something I've been worrying about for a long time. Should I ask for perfect teeth, keep my overbite, or perhaps just have it corrected slightly?

Any input (however mad) will be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Lots more information required. How old were you when you had the ortho consult? How large is your overbite? How deep is it?
How are your lower teeth? Do you have any missing lower molars?

Thanks for your interest in this - I didn't realize this was such a complex thing - I thought it was just me being neurotic!

To answer Gordon's questions:

1. I was an adult when I had the ortho consult, but I should add that due to unhealthy gums, my front two teeth began to move apart, leaving a gap (that I had cosmetically corrected with veneers), and looking back at photos, my face has changed since then.

2. I don't know the difference between the largeness and the deepness of an overbite, but my top teeth protrude about 12mm from my bottom teeth when my jaw is relaxed. I don't know if it's important, but the ortho said that I have a small mouth, and small bottom jaw. He wanted to break my bottom jaw, which is the reason I didn't go ahead with his plan of action.

3. Bottom teeth are straight with no protrusion.

4. All of my wisdom teeth have been removed, plus a bottom molar on the right hand side, third from the back.

Thanks!

Your face has done growing then. The orthodontist was proposing a mandibular advancement, which is pretty major surgery. It would have radically changed the shape of your face, not so much the upper part but the lower part would have been totally different.

You can't correct that degree of overbite (12mm) with a denture, the denture would be horrendously unstable and would also look awful.

If you're happy with the shape of your face, it should be possible to almost exactly replicate the position of your upper teeth in the denture, it may get more difficult in a few years as the bone supporting your ex-teeth remodels but for now it should be easy.

Thanks Gordon - that's really, really helpful because it never occurred to me that I may not even have the option of keeping my overbite.

Thanks for your time and help. :)

I am 32 and was diagnosed with a 12mm overbite when I was 18. I chose not to have anything done to it- I was 18 did not want braces as was about to go to medical school (meet the love of my life etc). Now I'm offically past it and have met the love of my life I'm considering my options. My overbite rarely causes me problems - just don't hand me a hobnob! I went to my dentist as routine and they have sold me this scare stor
y of my teeth falling out- unfortunatley I think dentistry has lost its ethical values since it has been run privately. My plan is to be referred to an NHS max fax surgeon who will hopefully be able to offer me some advice that is not related to his/her wallet. I would recommend the same to any one else. Make an informed decision not a decision that lines someone's pocket.

Why did the dentist say your teeth were going to fall out? Best guess I could come up with would be untreated periodontal disease?

Back