• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

1 week to fillings - feeling really anxious

J

jen.louise

I guess my situation isn't that bad compared to others on this site - I need 2 fillings, but I've never had any before and I have a huge dental phobia. Hadn't been for 5 years until a tooth broke and was shredding my tongue so I didn't have much option.

I can't decide if it's better to ask the dentist to explain everything as it happens, or just take my ipod with me and listen to music and try to drown everything out.

Any support or advice would be gratefully received......

I know this is scary, but you can do it. My method has always been to know as little as possible. It depends on your personality. Some people feel less fear if they know everything and are in control. Only you know which method will be best for you. Good luck! :clover:

As the poster above said this will entirely depend upon you and your needs. Personally, I need to know everything that is happening as it happens to feel calm and in control. Others would rather just try to zone out and be told when it is over. There is no real right answer in this case. If you want to feel in control but be spared from the details you could arrange a stop signal in advance to establish an open line of communication between you and your dentist (I'd recommend doing this no matter what you decide) and if you would like to know a little more but not everything maybe just request a warning of upcoming sensations I.e. pressure, air, water, vibration, ect so you have no surprises in that respect.some people will bring headphones and only use them for the noisy parts to drown out the sounds for a bit. Others will keep them turned low so they can divide their attention between the dentist talking to them and their choice of music. It doesn't need to be all or nothing.

Back