• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

10 year old Phobic Child in Swindon

W

Wendjena

Hi I have a child of 10 who is very dentist phobic. We have changed dentists once already in the hope that this would help and she has had some counselling for it but when we went today and needed a temporary filling in a tooth she was too upset to go through with it, the dentist wasn't very sympathetic and told her at her age that she should be past this by now. Not to be a baby, that really helped :mad:, honestly to her it is so real, she is a sensitive child and looks into things alot more than other children, now she just feels humiliated and an idiot and that she could have had it done and been past it by now (her words):(. Needless to say the treatment didn't happen and we came home.

She was fine going to the dentist when she was very small and did not have any problems but as soon as things started to rear up she is unconsolable, and they haven't even done any treatment yet but she also sees that she shouldn't be so upset but can't help it all the same.

Regardless to say I was not impressed with the dentist who I had been recommended to and am now looking for other options. Does anyone know of a dentist in Swindon preferably, (but I am willing to travel) who is good with nervous children.

I can't help out with a recommendation, but I agree you need to find a new dentist. I was a sensitive child (and am now a sensitive adult) and when a dentist tells me to grow up, get over it, etc. it makes me feel so much worse. There are nice dentists out there! Good luck!

Hi, I can't help with the recommendation either. But I've been a needle phobic child and I know how it is.

I had a fear before any bad experiences. I think some kids just are that way that they easily get afraid. I was always good at school and other stuff and I just couldn't stand failure. So as a kid I could at the same time scream and struggle and be very uncooperative and not accept the solution "let's try again another time" because that would have been a failure. I understand your daughter's feelings very well.

It was also very awful to be told not to be a baby. Or being in any way angry. As if I chose not to cooperate. No, it just happened even if I wanted to be a nice patient.

One piece of advice: only try sedation if everything else fails. It can cause a sort of dependancy, that you feel you can't do without. It's not a good thing, especially if you've never tried without. I was completely dependant on numbing cream for blood tests for 12 years. I know in some countries it's common practise but in Finland it's not and it always took a lot of special arrangements. When I got a bit older, I got a new fear because of it? What if I would need an injection so fast that there wouldn't be time for the numbing cream? I thought I couldn't possibly do it without it. I was afraid I would die because of my fear. When I was 16 I decided to skip the numbing cream. To my surprise, there was almost no pain at all. I had never experienced the injection without numbing cream. I believe being sedated for the first dental procedure might cause same kind of problems later.

I'm now 19, 20 in December, and almost free of needle phobia. When I got old enough to understand things better, I started working on my fears. I was able to make them history. I am now a regular blood donor and as my best achievement I had my wisdom teeth extracted a year ago with only a bit of anti-anxiety medication. There sure is hope for a nervous child!

This is the South West link to our DentistFinder.
This private one looks promising and is in Swindon. Patrick Holmes has been recommended by 2 posters and there is a website: https://www.sevenfields.co.uk

She probably just needs a dentist who will 'make friends with her' win her trust and take any treatment at her own pace. Another dentist may feel the cavity can be left a while anyway.

If she is actually needle phobic, then a dentist with a comfortable injection technique or TheWand is a great solution

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:
Back