• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

11 extractions if not more!!

I

Ibbgis

I have not been to the dentist in 5 years and my teeth have suffered for it. Finally bit the bullet as I could not deal with the throbbing any more and it’s not good news. I have very limited funds so cannot afford crowns or bridges which rules out root canals (even with the funds I could never sit through it) so I am getting 9 molars and 2 premolars extracted next week. I do not want the rest of my teeth to shift and cause structural damage so I am going to ask if I can be fitted with a wire wraparound retainer to keep them in place. Really hoping my dentist agrees to it because she has told me that without implant or partial dentures (cannot abide that prospect) the molars and premolars above and below the extracted ones would end up being pulled as well. I am terrified about having to deal with having 11 teeth pulled in one go and feel awful that I have let my back teeth end up in this state. I’m already thinking about just living on a liquid diet because the idea of chewing with nothing but my back gums makes me few sick. I’m only 23, I should never have allowed this to happen and have made everything 10x worse than if I had just went for regular check ups and deal with the fear before it got to this stage.

First of all, I am sorry that you are going through this. I am not a dentist, but just wanted to offer support.

Don't be too hard on yourself. The important thing is that you are taking action now. Plus, sometimes even people who have regular dental checkups and awesome oral hygiene still have issues. I have always had checkups and maintained my teeth well. I only had fillings in four molars, and one crown from a broken molar. I had a chipped front tooth from a childhood injury that had a small fillinh added where the chip was. Last year, I had the crown redone. It ended up turning into a root canal, which failed. I had it extracted. It just snowballed, and from last year to this year, I have had three molars extracted, and my front tooth that had the injury long ago. I have two more molars that will possibly need extraction before next year. I had four premolars out as a teen, for braces, so almost as many teeth as you are talking about. I was really upset for a long time, but honestly, now I feel better than I did before.

Are implants an option in the future, if you save up? I understand the finances being an issue, but is it something you cpuld save for?

First of all, I am sorry that you are going through this. I am not a dentist, but just wanted to offer support.

Don't be too hard on yourself. The important thing is that you are taking action now. Plus, sometimes even people who have regular dental checkups and awesome oral hygiene still have issues. I have always had checkups and maintained my teeth well. I only had fillings in four molars, and one crown from a broken molar. I had a chipped front tooth from a childhood injury that had a small fillinh added where the chip was. Last year, I had the crown redone. It ended up turning into a root canal, which failed. I had it extracted. It just snowballed, and from last year to this year, I have had three molars extracted, and my front tooth that had the injury long ago. I have two more molars that will possibly need extraction before next year. I had four premolars out as a teen, for braces, so almost as many teeth as you are talking about. I was really upset for a long time, but honestly, now I feel better than I did before.

Are implants an option in the future, if you save up? I understand the finances being an issue, but is it something you cpuld save for?
Hi, thanks for the support.

Yes I am really hoping to be able to save up for implants in the future but I know that it could be a number of years before it is an option. Plus it seems like that process of getting them is not a particularly nice one so would probably have to opt for having one every so often rather than one sitting. At least with the retainer it’s just a case of sliding it in and out and; even though it’s mega noticeable; nobody is going to know that it is a result of poor dental hygiene. Even though partial dentures are less noticeable and have a similar insertion and removal process I cannot get over the idea of having that stigma if anybody noticed.

You mention 9 molars, how many are wisdom teeth?

Last edited:
The 2 wisdom teeth on the right and 1 top left
The full process will be pulling the upper right 1st, 2nd & 3rd molars, the lower right 1st and 3rd molars, lower left 1st & 2nd molar and 2nd premolar and the upper left 1st and 3rd molars and 1st premolar.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the support.

Yes I am really hoping to be able to save up for implants in the future but I know that it could be a number of years before it is an option. Plus it seems like that process of getting them is not a particularly nice one so would probably have to opt for having one every so often rather than one sitting. At least with the retainer it’s just a case of sliding it in and out and; even though it’s mega noticeable; nobody is going to know that it is a result of poor dental hygiene. Even though partial dentures are less noticeable and have a similar insertion and removal process I cannot get over the idea of having that stigma if anybody noticed.

I just want to reassure you of a few things. First, I have gotten 3 implants so far. The process is really not terrible. In fact the recovery was easier than the extraction recovery. I had an implant put in when my lower right 2nd molar was extracted. It hurt the day it was put in (but I can't take ibuprofen, so it wouldn't have hurt so much if I could have), but by the 2nd day there was hardly any pain.
Two weeks ago, I had an implant put in on my lower right 1st molar, and my front top tooth extracted, bone grafting done, and implant placed. It was done in the same appointment, and the procedure really wasn't that bad. I used nitrous oxide, because I have an intense fear of dental work based on the fact that anesthetic always wears off quickly with me, and I always need more than the usual person anyway. Nitrous helps relax me and makes the anesthetic work better. The process is long, as it took 4 months after the extraction of the molar before I could get the implant, and I won't get the crowns for another 4 months. I had a pretty intense surgery on my front tooth, as there was infection still present that the oral surgeon had to scrape out. Even with all that, I was only taking tylenol for pain after the 2nd day.

Also, since it is done in stages, you don't pay everything up front, which helps a lot!

Also, I wanted to mention that I had brought up the same concern with my oral surgeon about the opposing teeth having issues if one was gone. He said that happens more often with upper teeth, when the lower ones are missing, but not often with uppers missing. I had my upper left 2nd molar extracted over a year ago, and not replaced. He said if it were him, he wouldn't bother, as it is unlikely to cause issues in the future.

I've just joined this site today and too want to offer support. So sorry that you are going through so much anguish and pain. It will come to an end, then you can move on kinowing you've addressed the issue full on.

All the best for next week Ibbgis :grouphug:! I've never heard of retainers being used instead of partial dentures to keep teeth in their position - is this a thing?

Ibbgis,

First off, really brave job biting the bullet and going to this appt in the first place then to process , consider and go through with whatever you decide to. There is alot to this and its hugely brave. I hope all goes well for you! You already got alot of great advice, just wanted to chime in with support !! You are on your way!!