• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

11 Fillings in a week...

V

VL1994

Hey, guys! I've posted here before and have become quite an active member since joining. If you don't know who I am, my name is Valentina and I've had severe dental anxiety ever since I was 6 and am 23 now. I remember the first time I got a filling. It was on a baby tooth and my dentist kept shaming me for getting a filling at such a tender age. By 16, I had about 8 cavities to fill (all between my teeth). Because of his remarks, I rebelled and didn't fix my questionable dental habits until recently. I turned 23 on the 24th and figured that I needed to act like an adult instead of letting my teeth rot away out of my head. I hate hearing bad news health-wise. That coupled with the shame and financial setback, it has taken me a while to visit the dentist. Yesterday, I went in for a cleaning and an exam. They found 11 cavities. I wasn't surprised. I had the 8 that I never filled along with some I had accumulated from 7 years of dismal oral hygiene. The fillings don't bother me or depress me. I knew that eventually, such a thing was prone to happen. I'm relieved it wasn't worse. This Saturday I have to go back to get the remaining 5 filled (I did 6 yesterday). At this point, I just want to make sure I rectify the wrongs I did by not going to the dentist for so long. To be honest, I feel lucky and I hope my story encourages those youngsters out there to get checked and to please please PLEASE fix things before they get worse.

Hey, guys! I've posted here before and have become quite an active member since joining. If you don't know who I am, my name is Valentina and I've had severe dental anxiety ever since I was 6 and am 23 now. I remember the first time I got a filling. It was on a baby tooth and my dentist kept shaming me for getting a filling at such a tender age. By 16, I had about 8 cavities to fill (all between my teeth). Because of his remarks, I rebelled and didn't fix my questionable dental habits until recently. I turned 23 on the 24th and figured that I needed to act like an adult instead of letting my teeth rot away out of my head. I hate hearing bad news health-wise. That coupled with the shame and financial setback, it has taken me a while to visit the dentist. Yesterday, I went in for a cleaning and an exam. They found 11 cavities. I wasn't surprised. I had the 8 that I never filled along with some I had accumulated from 7 years of dismal oral hygiene. The fillings don't bother me or depress me. I knew that eventually, such a thing was prone to happen. I'm relieved it wasn't worse. This Saturday I have to go back to get the remaining 5 filled (I did 6 yesterday). At this point, I just want to make sure I rectify the wrongs I did by not going to the dentist for so long. To be honest, I feel lucky and I hope my story encourages those youngsters out there to get checked and to please please PLEASE fix things before they get worse.

Wow! Bravo to you for being brave and taking control of your dental health!

Oy vey. If only i did b4 things got as bad as they did. By the time i actually got up the courage to do so at a bit shy of 25.5 years old, my mouth was a disaster. 14 extractions, 2 fillings, deep cleaning, Partial dentures I hate, and since then I've had to get another 4 fillings. Or 5 if you count the most recent filling that fixed 2 problem areas as 2 fillings and not 1.

A less then 3 weeks shy of 29 now and some days it's still such an emotional toll on me. At least i figured out how far i can space Partial denture wear sessions so now i'm only wearing them for 3.5 hours one time a week.

Back