• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

14 fillings in one sitting

M

Mowil

I went last Saturday to a dentist clinic after not going to the dentist in four years, after a quick dental exam and X-rays I was told I had 14 cavaities tht needed to be filled, I asked of I needed to break up the fillings and was told it wasn't a big deal they could fill them all. Now after a visit to another dentist on Monday and a week later my teeth are still very sensitive and when I try to chew anything my teeth start burning and throbbing on the right side. The dentist on Monday different from the one who did the 14 fillings said that he could take a look after everything calmed down so I made an apt forms September but now I am thinking something could be real wrong as I should be able to eat a soft taco after a week without crying.

Hi Mowil,
Sorry that you are in so much pain at the moment! :there-there: I am not a dentist but several things you mentioned do not sound right in my opinion. Fourteen fillings following a 4 year absence sounds kind of extreme and I would never fathom doing all 14 at one time. Most dentists encourage breaking them up into several visits completing 2 or 3 at a time at the very most. Sensitivity is normal following a filling for up to 2 weeks but it should not be so severe that it is inhibiting your ability to eat even soft foods. Then again, having so many fillings at once, I can imagine the sensitivity may be amplified or intensified due to the amount of work performed at once. May I ask out of curiosity how long the appointment took and if you were having any dental pain prior to the fillings? I would definitely get a second (or third) opinion about what is going on and at a different practice if possible. I would not go back to the first dentist who performed the initial work. You poor thing! I hope it all settles down soon. :XXLhug: Please keep us posted.
Kitkat

Thank you. No pain prior, my gums where bothering me and I knew I needed to set a better example for my kids. The entire apt took 2hrs and 15 minutes. One of the surface fillings fell out later that same day, I called the dentist and left a message and no one called me back. I had to write a letter of grievance to the insurance company, I think I need to report the dentist but don't know who to report them to. I asked about breaking the fillings up but they told me it wasn't a big deal. Looking back I should have asked way more questions. I liked the second dentist I saw, he actually took his face mask off, introduced himself And honestly seemed concern about me, my pain And my teeth. Thinking I need to go see him simmer just worried about insurance not covering it as I just had the work done.

So the whole appointment was 135 minutes and 14 fillings is about 9 minutes per filling :confused:. In my experience, 1 filling takes roughly on average 30-45 minutes and 2 take around 60-90 minutes so yes, something seems off here in my opinion even if the fillings were quite shallow. It is good that the second dentist seems to be good so far. I would stick with him as long as you feel comfortable with him. If you are having a limited exam appointment for a follow-up to the work due to problems insurance should not have issues with this. If you would like to file a complaint about the first dentist you have 2 options, you can go to the office manager of the practice and attempt to resolve things on a small scale or you can make a formal complaint to your state's dental board who handles licensure and practice issues.

Mowil
Was it a corporate dental chain office by any chance? You definitely need to make a formal complaint. As you are in the States this might be a way of getting financial redress as well. Best wishes.

Was it a corporate dental chain office by any chance? You definitely need to make a formal complaint. As you are in the States this might be a way of getting financial redress as well. Best wishes.

This scenario just screams "corporate dental chain" having been a victim of one myself. Those places are awful! Never again. So much incompetence under one roof.

It was, it was a family smiles. I plan on filing a formal complaint, I am pretty sure another surface filling fall out last night. Feel sick to my stomach at the fact that all of the fillings may need to be "re-done".

FOURTEEN?! I would've "noped" my way right outta there! God, I was scared to get one done, let alone 14! I had 4 to do, and they're doing them over 3 appointments... eeek. That's wrong on so many levels... 14!

Wow, 14 at once? When I had a bunch to do, I think my dentist mostly did them in quadrants, or just 2 near each other at a time if there was enough time to do it. I had two done on the top on Wednesday on different sides, but that's the only time I've ever had multiple done at the same appointment that actually required me to be numbed twice. Numbing all 4 sides of my mouth could take 40-60 minutes, or longer. I have some really artful shaping of fillings going on in my mouth also, because I can barely feel many of mine with my tongue. I want to say that usually takes maybe 10 minutes at a minimum.

Back