• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

17 and I'm slowing losing my mind..

D

dialogic

Hello all! I am new here, but I figured since I'm not comfortable talking about this particular problem with other people, this would be a good place to start..

To start it off, I've always had teeth problems, just because my parents were quite awful when it came to stuff like that, growing up, I was never told how to brush, I had never been to a dentist until I was around 15? I had my first appointment, and god was I horrified, they came to the conclusion that they had to extract quite a bit of my teeth, mainly my molars that were bad, (they were able to save my front teeth), anyways fast forward to this day, I am living with more responsible people, (my aunt and uncle). The dentist that I have is very inconsistent, (doesn't pick up calls, forgets appointments etc.) But I have had quite a bit of work done, all I need now is to I think have my wisdom teeth extracted, a filling, and a root canal, and they can get my partial process started.

Just the problem is, I'm only 17 and already have ALL of these problems, and it really sucks. I just cannot get out of this rut of depression I am in, it's all because I didn't do what I was supposed to. Are there other people in my situation? I just feel so ashamed and embarassed to have these problems, and to top it all off, I'm going to be turning 18 extremely soon. I'm just lost and am just having periods of extreme depression/anxiety and intense derealization. This is just awful.

I just want to say that I'm so sorry this happened to you and that it's not your fault. You were a child and it was your parents' job to make sure all of your healthcare needs were met and that includes taking you to a dentist. I'm nearly 40, but I also had a mother who only took me to a dentist a few times growing up (except for braces) and I'm still suffering the consequences. I think the best any of us can do is to figure out how to move forward the best we can and to try to remember that there's nothing to be ashamed about.

I appreciate your input. I am starting to feel a bit better, I just wish my parents had taken better care of me, of course, I should have picked up the habit to begin with, It's a problem on both ends. At the end of the day the only thing I can do is look forward to the future..

I had the same issue with my parents not helping with my oral hygene, or teaching me. I was in a body cast for most of my childhood breaking numberous bones and basically they just let me lay there and figured it didn't matter maybe??? then would take me to sedate me and clean my teeth at the hospital once in a while.. I was so freaked out by the dentist as a teen I just would panic.. wouldn't llet anyone work on me until I was in college really.. The sweets and soda really exasperated the whole thing too... as I've always had a sweet tooth.

The good thing is you are 17 and recognize and can start now with making an effort. I really hope you can find a place with more consistant care or if you have to go through your parents mention you really need this.. I don't know how they will respond.. mine probably would not.. but... its worth a try... at least you are on here which is a step reaching out.. its the first step1!! and hopefully upward from here..

You are not alone in your struggle.. we are here to listen and encourage you !!

I had significant problems when I was your age too. I had PTSD already as a child so I wasn't careful about hygiene at all, but that was combined with bad genetics. My father had many dental problems at an early age too. Some friends I had were just as lax with their teeth but never had any problems. It really can be a case of bad luck sometimes. Thinking about the why or how and blaming yourself won't help you move forward.

You're not a bad person because of your dental situation, you're not worth any less than anyone else, and it's really not something to bother being ashamed of. You're getting it treated now, which is very responsible. Staying on top of it from here on out will keep more problems at bay.

I was depressed about my teeth too, though I have since stopped caring. Life is way too short. But saying that might not magically fix your depression. Maybe chatting to a professional counsellor or therapist could help. Extreme depression/anxiety/derealization are not something you should have to put up with.

But sometimes just knowing you are not alone can help :) and you definitely are not.

thank you all! :)

I'm working on it, without the partial it's been hard to eat so I'm hoping I have it soon..

Hello all! I am new here, but I figured since I'm not comfortable talking about this particular problem with other people, this would be a good place to start..

To start it off, I've always had teeth problems, just because my parents were quite awful when it came to stuff like that, growing up, I was never told how to brush, I had never been to a dentist until I was around 15? I had my first appointment, and god was I horrified, they came to the conclusion that they had to extract quite a bit of my teeth, mainly my molars that were bad, (they were able to save my front teeth), anyways fast forward to this day, I am living with more responsible people, (my aunt and uncle). The dentist that I have is very inconsistent, (doesn't pick up calls, forgets appointments etc.) But I have had quite a bit of work done, all I need now is to I think have my wisdom teeth extracted, a filling, and a root canal, and they can get my partial process started.

Just the problem is, I'm only 17 and already have ALL of these problems, and it really sucks. I just cannot get out of this rut of depression I am in, it's all because I didn't do what I was supposed to. Are there other people in my situation? I just feel so ashamed and embarassed to have these problems, and to top it all off, I'm going to be turning 18 extremely soon. I'm just lost and am just having periods of extreme depression/anxiety and intense derealization. This is just awful.

Hi!! I completely understand and empathize with your struggle. My parents also never really properly educated me on oral health and I was incredibly inconsistent with my brushing and all that. The best advice that I can give you is to take control of your oral health and health in general. Make it a point to be your primary educator and find out what works for you. Hopefully, this will be the last of all the major work you had done.

I feel your pain. I am only 22 and am dealing with major dental issues. I feel so ashamed and get super depressed at times. It's all I think about. It's seems like no matter how much I brush my teeth are just going to slowly deteriorate. My parents never forced me to brush or floss and they both have awful teeth. It sucks so bad having to deal with it at such a young age. I hope you get yours all taken care of.

Back