• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

17 and never been to a dentist. What can I expect when I go?

W

waterbottle1

I know this forum is called dentalphobia, but I am not really scared of going. I am just concerned and kind of worried. I really don't have anywhere else to post this, so here you go. I know the dentist will try to help me as best as she/he can, but I am just concerned that I will have so many things wrong with me. I am set up for an appointment, so I am probably going to go in a week or so.
Anyways, I am embarrased that I never went and my parents have never taken me. My mom and step dad are living in a tight situation, so they can't afford to take me. My dad is going to take me, as I requested him. I am so embarrased, because like 90% of my friends and people I know of, have perfectly straight and white teeth. Maybe like 10% don't, but a lot of those 10% are getting/already have braces. I look around at everyones teeth and get so mad and jealous. I have no idea how all of these families can afford $4,000-$7,000 braces, when they have ti deal with getting them cars and college.
Anyways, I will tell you the state of my teeth and gums.
-My bottom gums on my teeth have receeded. IDK if it is gum disease, but my gums never bleed. My top gums have not receeded. I also, really don't have any other symptoms of gum disease. My gums are pink.
-I have tartar build up my teeth. It is inevitable, since I have never had a profesional cleaning. I brush 2-3 times a day properly, floss, and use mouth wash twice a day, so I have good oral hygeine. I am not to blame for this tartar. For the most part though, my teeth are white.
-All of my teeth are spaced, except for my molars. I have one crooked baby tooth (bottom incissor)
-Teeth never hurt, unless if I get a random wisdom tooth feeling. I can feel my wisdom teeth coming in. My upper left wisdom tooth has already erupted.

That is pretty much what I am concerned about. My wisdom teeth, gum health, and tartar build up. Are these problems reversible? Or are they permanent and will I probably need dentures by the time I am 30? I want braces badly as well. I am a good looking dude, but I feel ugly, insecure, and awful, when I open my mouth to talk, smile, or even breath with my mouth.

I am sorry for your situation but the fact that you have good oral hygiene is a bonus. Things may not be as bad as you imagine.

Good luck

if youre not having any pain, loose teeth, cracked teeth, ect. im sure youll be fine. you wont need dentures at age 30.

i had only been to a dentist twice in my childhood. finally went regularly starting at 18. i just needed a few fillings when i went back.

Teeth are such a pain. By far the most annoying body part. I wish we could just regenerate new teeth, like crocodiles or sharks, when we get a cavity, abcess, ect. Instead, we have baby teeth, then adult teeth. Then we have to deal with the same annoying adult teeth forever.

Back