• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

1st appointment in 9 years!!!

Well done Irrational, so well done. One whole hour :cheers: You have every reason to be proud of yourself and I hope you're giving yourself an extra treat for getting so far. From what I've read about other people's treatments, you are so right, it does sem that the anticipation, the worry and vivid imagination is always worse than the actual treatment. I only hope it is in my case as well. :grouphug:

Hi Scaredstiff - thanks so much for the support and encouragement. It means a lot. :thumbsup: I am sure your "big day" will go well - and won't be anything like you imagine!! I was really dreading the appointment - I tried not to think about it too much for most of last week but then in the last couple of days I started panicking a bit and playing out all sorts of horror stories in my head "what if this happened" blah blah blah. But once I got in that chair - I surrendered myself to the experience and just decided I wanted to get on with it and get out of that bloody chair. It wasn't the greatest fun I've ever had - but it wasn't the worst experience either - just uncomfortable. I tell you what though it didn't feel anything like one hour, in fact, when they finished I checked my watch immediately thinking it must be only about 15 mins - but yup amazingly I had been in that chair for one whole hour!! Could not believe it. The whole time in the chair I was thinking about my beautiful little son Zane who is seven, I had taken him to the optician earlier on in the day and he had to get some nasty drops in his eyes that really stung and he was so brave about it - I could tell that they really really hurt him, anyway he had promised me that if I was brave at my appointment, he would cuddle me all the way home in the back of the car (hubby was driving!!) and it's a one and a half hour drive so I was really looking forward to it. I couldn't believe it when it was all over and I was in the back of that car with my gorgeous wee boy cuddling me (he kept looking at me funny which was making me a bit paranoid as I knew my gums were still bleeding a bit) but he just told me that I looked beautiful (he is such a dear wee boy :-* - I am so lucky to have him), but it was really good to know that he was going to be there. Unfortunately next week he will be at school so I will have to arrange something else to cheer me up!! Suggestions welcome.

Anyway enough about me - try not to worry too much - I know it's easy to say - but hard to do!!! but honestly I am sure that things will go really well and you will end up on the other side, wondering how on earth you got there and wondering what all the fuss was about!! Good luck and I will be thinking of you

Back