• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

1st appointment today

O

ocdirtysanchez

I haven't been to the dentist in years. I chew dip tobacco and have for the last 20 years. I know I have some issues(broken and decayed teeth-2, as well as a chipped front tooth). Needless to say I am nervous. I'm taking my 11 year old son. I figure if he is there I have to set an example by being steady! I'm expecting to have to get the 2 decayed teeth extracted(both in the back lower jaw). I'm also expecting some deep gum cleaning. I'm currently trying to quit the tobacco and have been for a week now. Anyhow, 45 minutes until I go. I'd like to get as much done today as possible but I'm not expecting that. Any helpful words?:thumbsup:

It's great that you're taking this step.

If this is your first visit in awhile, chances are today will only be a meet and greet, maybe they'll do some x-rays and take a look to see what's going on.

I think it's laudable that you want to set a good example for your son. However, I'd almost advise against bringing him into the room with you. You don't need the added pressure of putting on a brave face. In fact, it's better to be honest with the dentist and tell him or her that you are scared. It's a good idea to, if you can, explain what it is that you're afraid of.

Being honest with your dentist is an important step in establishing a rapport and a trusting relationship. Plus, if you don't tell the dentist about your fears, he/she can't do anything to address your concerns.

I probably sound like a broken record to many people here but I have to say that crying in the dentist's chair during my first visit was embarrassing and, at the same time, the best thing that could have happened. My dentist's response to my uncontrollable emotion went a long way to building my trust.

Other than that, just remember that you're in control and that if this dentist doesn't make you reasonably comfortable, you're within your rights to walk out and find one who will.

Finally, remember that you have new friends here who have been there and who are rooting for you. :grouphug:

Hey Sanchez friend.... I just got home from my 1st appt myself. How did yours go???

I chipped an old tooth with a filling yesterday while chewing gum, so I figured I needed to go... it had been 6 years for me since I'd been there. I had some xrays and the results were 2 cavities (which I already knew about 6 years ago and didn't want to do anything about), deep cleaning (my gumline HAS been receding so I wasn't too surprised by this either), 2 lower wisdom teeth that need to be extracted (they've been there forever and I've ignored them), and a crown on my upper rear tooth.

SOOOO tomorrow at 12:30 I go in to do EVERYTHING to the left side of my mouth (1 cavity, crown, 1 tooth extraction, and deep cleaning) ... I was freaking out and wanting to cry today when the dentist was just looking an poking at my mouth.... I am so worried I'm going to have an all out panick attack tomorrow. But I guess doing it all at once is still easier then going back several times...

Man... there is a reason I didn't go to the dentist the past 6 years...:confused:

Thanks f the support and words of wisdom guys. Everything went fine. As expected, 2 teeth need to be pulled, one cracked filling needs to be replaced, a deep cleaning is needed, and the chip needs to be bonded. I got work done on the left side of my mouth today (1 tooth extracted from left side, and a deep cleaning of the left). Go back in 2 weeks for the right side extraction, right side deep cleaning, and the bonding of the chip). It wasn't bad at all. Numbed me up real good, and numbed me up some more in the middle of the extraction as I felt alot of pain in the nerve. He injected novacain around that nerve to numb it for me. I'm actually lookin forward to going back and finishing. I definitely won't be waiting another 6 years to go back!!!!:thumbsup:

Whew... thats nice to hear.... because I'm freaked out about tomorrow. Thanks a lot for coming back and saying it wasn't so bad. I think I'm the most nervous about having the wisdom teeth extracted and the deep cleaning. Well... I guess the crown and cavity bothers me too. LOL :giggle: Something about someone cleaning under the gums is unappealing to me though.

It's GREAT to have you come back and say how it wasn't so bad.... I totally appreciate it because I'm a mess over the whole thing. Wish me luck with my left side tomorrow.

OH.. after this I will also be doing regular cleanings etc..... it's covered 100 percent so I would be stupid not too....

Hang in there RApril. You will do just fine. The pain is non existent during the procedure, just a bit uncomfortable. If you feel pain during the extraction, let your dentist know so he can give you more novacaine, After, you will ache, but not much more. The bleeding has stopped for me already, and only 3 hours after the fact. My jaw is sore, and it aches where the tooth was, but nothing more. Let me know how it all goes!!! Good luck, but try not to worry as you will be just fine!
Chris
:thumbsup:

Hey ... well it went ok.. After the novacaine wore off I was aching until I got some pain killer in me... I managed to bite the inside of my cheek as well... It's been 4 days now and I'm wondering when/if my mouth will ever feel normal again. It took the Dentist 45 minutes of pulling prodding, breaking, and what not to get the stinkin tooth out. So now I have a sore on my lip where they used the mirror to hold it back, and my jaw is bruised and super swollen. STILL....

Without at least the 800 mg of Ibuprofen I do still have some pain :censored:... do you???
Mines mostly from the crown I guess.... Let me know how it's going... :)

No, other than some tenderness where the hole is, I am over the pain. I have another appointment in a week to get 1 more pulled but I'm not too nervous over it. I was lucky in that I didn't have much swelling if any. Good job for hangin in there!
:cheers:

Can I join the extraction club?! I hope you're both feeling well and like ocdirtysanchez (is that from the show Dirty Sanchez?!) I got lucky with swelling. I mean, it still looks puffy but not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm on day three and mostly my gums are just kind of...itchy.

rapril2000: It probably will be sore for awhile because it took awhile to come out. Just keep putting some ice on your cheek (it feels sooo nice) and rinse with warm salt water and you'll be good as new very soon!

Hey Deb... welcome to the extraction club! lol

Well I found out what the pain was from. :censored: It wasn't from the extraction at all. I would say I figured it out two days ago, and last night it was HORRIBLE. It was the crown!!!! I ended up going today and getting a root canal... I guess the nerves/roots/whatever didn't take to well to the trauma and it was getting infected. Can I tell you how many horrible stories I've heard about root canals. :scared: It was NOT EVEN anywhere near the same category as the wisdom tooth extraction. Painless! Right now I'm doped up on hydrocodone, and the numbness has just now worn off, so I'm not really sure if there would be pain... I'll let you know.

Glad things are going well for both of you. I'm LOVING that I don't have to overdoes on Ibuprofen like I have for the last three days just to not feel pain. LOL :jump:

As far as posting on Dental Fear Central.. the only thing to fear about the dentist is wisdom tooth extractions.... at least for me.. I'm sure yours second one will go fine Chris.. :)

April

Last edited:
I actually had a root canal and it really isn't as bad as people say! A lot less recovery time than a wisdom tooth which is good but I wouldn't say either are horrible. Of course, don't ask me that BEFORE I had the procedures done :p

Thankfully you've found the problem now and you're right about how great it feels to not be dependant on pills!