• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

1st extraction was abandoned due to pain. 2nd attempt tomorrow. Scared!

J

Jinxy

Hi everyone,

I hope someone out there can reassure me. Thank you in advance.

I take medication daily for generalised anxiety disorder so I'm understandably a bit freaked out. I had a root canal late last year and got to the point of having a temporary crown fitted. I had been experiencing discomfort which got worse and worse until the pain in the tooth meant I could no longer eat on one side of my mouth. This was coupled with severe jaw pain (which a maxilio facial surgeon attributed to the tooth). My dentist could see no cause of the pain but recommended it be extracted. During the extraction process I kept experiencing pain, so my dentist kept topping up my local anaesthetic. It got to a point where the tooth 'popped' up slightly which caused a lot of pain and therefore the extraction was stopped.

This brings me to now. I have seen a new dentist who offers conscious sedation. I'm due to have the extraction tomorrow under sedation but I'm worried there will still be pain. Because there was last time and as far as I can tell there won't be anything different apart from the sedation. (I emailed the dentist and asked them this exact question but all they replied was information copied from the internet about how sedation works , plus assurances it will be fine).

So I'm wondering if there are any kind dentists here who can offer some insight, or anyone who has gone through something similar. Why did it hurt last time after so many local anaesthetic injections? Why will this time be different?

Thank you x

Think I can help. Many years ago I had a root canal on my first molar (down left), now after +10 years I had pain in that very tooth, it confused me, I didnt bother to go to the dentist at first, but I couldnt eat, it was a huge pain, after I went to the dentist and told him that I had pain in that tooth, but the tooth had a root canal, and that I cant explain the pain, he took just one look and told me that the tooth sank in my gums, and that one part got stuck, he broke that part of the tooth off, and it was a huge pain since it was stuck and got pulled out of the flesh, its like you step on something sharp and then remove it from your toe, your dentist maybe didnt see or know that some of the tooth was stuck and while he tried to pull the tooth out that caused the pain?

Jinxy,, How did your extraction go and how are you doing?

Thank you so much for your replies, and thanks for offering some insight into what may have caused the pain during my first failed extraction.

I'm glad to say my problem tooth is now gone! The dentist was very helpful and patient with me considering I was very tearful beforehand. The sedation process was a marvel! I remember chatting with the staff in the chair as she gently administered the sedation, and the next minute it was all over and I was biting down on the gauze.

I'm understandably in a little pain but it's manageable with painkillers. I have a small golf ball- like swelling on my cheek but I'm hoping that will go down in a few days.

I hope this helps anyone else who has been through something similar.

Back