• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

1st time at dentist in 25 years

• Thread starter neutralusername
  • Start date
N

neutralusername

My first time at the dentist was when I was 5 years old. I had accidentally got my front tooth knocked out, and my parents rushed me to their dentist. Although I don't remember any pain, I do remember how uncaring and impatient the dentist and assistants were. I was scared about having all those hands in my mouth. After that, I had an intense fear of ever going back. So, I took care of my teeth. I guess I even got obsessive over it. I was a kid who WANTED to brush my teeth in the morning and before bed.

But, for the last 4 or so years, I was experiencing pain in several of my teeth. I was afraid that I had cavities, and lots of them. I saw black stuff on my teeth and I was certain they were decay. I was in denial and thought it would just go away. I finally got up the courage at 30 years old to make a phone call for a visit to the dentist.

The experience was nothing like my first time. EVERYONE was really nice. I was shaking pretty badly, but they were really calm with me. They took the x-rays and guess what? They found nothing wrong with my teeth. They even said my gums were good. They did find tartar (the black stuff I could see). The pain, they said, could be from my sinuses dripping into my teeth. I have always had issues with my sinuses so that didn't surprise me. I went for a cleaning a few days later. It hurt and I saw blood (due to having to scrape off the tarter), but everyone was so nice, it didn't seem like a big deal.

So, I went 25 years without seeing a dentist and no cavities or gum disease were found. I feel like the luckiest person alive. I am definitely going back to them in 6 months and will keep it up because I probably won't stay so lucky. But, at least I won't be as scared as I used to! :)

It hurt and I saw blood (due to having to scrape off the tarter), but everyone was so nice, it didn't seem like a big deal.

Congratulations but it wouldn't be unusual to be numbed up for cleaning especially for the first time in several years...it really doesn't have to hurt at all so I'm sorry that was your experience.

The other good news is that it should get easier once your gums are healthy...a gentle hygienist is always a good thing though, so don't be afraid to shop around some more if you find yourself putting off the next appointment.
Best wishes.

Congratulations and well done :respect: - this must be such a huge weight off your shoulders!! Great to hear that the experience was nothing like you expected and that everyone was so nice.

I hope you've had a chance to celebrate :sleepyjuice:!!

Thanks so much for sharing your story here :grouphug:

Back