• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

1st time poster. help. worried about severe infect

S

silyotter

Ok.. this is my first time posting on this site, first time posting ever and actually reaching out for help with my severe dental phobia

First off i have my wisdom teeth. one is impacted on the right lower.. The two teeth in front of the bottom wisdom teeth are destroyed, no top left. sides cracked. basically gone. and as of late, i the tooth in front of htat one on the right side has a cavity that is getting bigger by the week hole right through. Aside from needing a cleaning and any other unknown problems.. those are the big ones.

Im worried about getting very sick. possibly dying because every once in a while one side or the other gets infected, puts me down for a day or two unable to move, speak, or function because of the pain during those times. Normally they dont hurt at all unless i bite something wrong. From what i know and \have read about dental health. i want a healthy mouth and i dont want to get a bad infection and die.

I have been to the dentist in the past. I managed to get myself together enough to see a dentist that was on a the list thatmy discount dental plan offered. I was shaking, sweating, panicing and barely made it though x rays and an exam. From experiance and research i knew this wasnt a big deal but still barely made it though the exam. I was terrified

Everyone thinks im a totaly whimp, pussy, whatever.. im 26. a guy, i work on fire trucks. and this one thing in my life terrifies me and is keeping me from being otherwise heathy. Right now i cant bring myself to walk into a dentist office, with taking a pill. or gas, or whatever. im fearful to the point of not sleeping at night which affects my work and as my dental health gets worse this cycle seems to get worse.

I dont know what to do. i tried therapy and desensatising therapy,, i paniced and couldnt go anymore. i cried, i shook. i broke down.

What does the pill do if i were to go that route, what does nitrous do. any helping stories? Im in the Huntington Beach area, ca if anyone has a dentist that can help and that they trust.

Thank You

Re: 1st time poster. help. worried about severe in

You should find a dentist who does IV Sedation. It's the best route to go, and you can get all your teeth fixed without feeling an iota of pain or fear. My dentist only gives out Halcion Pills, which I am going to experience on Tuesday. I will let you know what the pills are like, however, my top choice is IV Sedation. I had it once for regular surgery, and I thought it was awesome. :cloud9:
Dentists shouldn't be scarey, with all the new technology they have now, and the new procedures, my old dentist used to be from the ice ages, or so it seemed. So hopefully I will be satisfied with this one. I am expected to do a bridge, Cap, Root Canal, and Extraction of an infected tooth I don't feel. I think a sleep dentist is the right way to go for you. I was put out for my wisdom teeth, when I was 10. I didn't feel a thing. And I was still terrified of the dentist back then, more so now. I am 40. It's nice to meet you. :)

Hey there! :welcome:

If the impacted wisdom tooth hasn't cut through the surface (if it's still invisible) then you have to be put under for that anyway. If that is the case, then I would definitely see if it's possible to have everything done at once while you are asleep and are none the wiser. The only problem with that is that sometimes dentists refer patients out for impacted wisdom's and an oral surgeon will likely only do the one thing. If the tooth has cut through the surface of the gum, then it is entirely different and you have all kinds of options as far as sedation.

Thanks for the replies!. its really nice to know im not the only one thats terrified of dentists..

As far as the halcion pills go. definatly letme know how those feel. what they do.. etc.. .

For my impacted wisdom tooth its very much above the surface as are all my wisdom teeth. From what i know this is a good hing, and requires less cutting, drilling and hammering to get them out.

Thanks again!

i just had 4 impacted wisdom teeth as well as three other infected teeth cut out under IV sedation. IV sedation was FANTASTIC. You do not remember anything or feel anything. I was actually in surgery for 2 hours b/c of the difficulty of the procedure, and I woke up thinking it was 5minutes later. It was GREAT!!! Do not think you are a wimp at all. It had been 15+ years since I had gone, but now I have made it through a couple minor appt. no problem. Just make it through that first step and it does get easier. You will not believe how much better you will feel after you do this when your infection is gone. Good Luck to you . Let me know how you are doing...

Back