• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2 1/2 months after pocket reduction surgery - gums still receding

P

paranoidbicuspid

Hi all,

About 2 months ago, I had pocket reduction surgery (osseous surgery, flap surgery, or whatever you call it) with bone graft and regenerative membrane on the left side of my mouth (upper and lower). During the procedure the periodontist said I had "more bone loss than what the X-rays indicated." I had pockets of around 4, 5, 6 with a few spots 7, and one in the back with a 10. For the past year, I've been taking care of my teeth much better, including waterpik, sonicare, flossing 1-2 times a day, brush 3 times a day, xylitol, mouthwash, chlorohexidine 1-2 times a week. Also I smoke 2-3 cigarettes a day down from 13-15, with spurts of being completely smoke-free. I'm male, 38 years old, and in otherwise good health.

I went back the to one month check-up, and the periodontist said I was healing up really nicely. She mentioned at the appointment that the gums "will go up" (ie: recede). That's fine, but they seem to keep going up. When will it stop? How much recession is too much? What's a procedure I can do to correct this? I don't feel any sensitivity, just the recession is worrying me. For example, on my canine, I couldn't see any root or neck exposed after the surgery. Now, 2 1/2 months later, I can clearly see the downward groove of the neck, and it seems to have accelerated 2 or 3 weeks ago. Is it normal for the gums to recede this far out from the procedure? The gums look like they're in good shape, but just receding. When can I expect it to stop?

I was to have the other side of my mouth done, but I don't think I will go through with it anymore. It's been causing me way too much stress since I'm constantly checking my gums like a crazy person.

I would love to hear your post-op experiences.

Thanks!

Lee

The gums will recede as the inflammation reduces.
Normally when the gums are inflamed, they are red and swollen.

The gums will recede as the inflammation reduces.
Normally when the gums are inflamed, they are red and swollen.
Thanks for the response. Any idea how much longer it will recede? I'm a bit surprised it didn't decide to recede until about 2 months after the surgery.

Normally within 3mm from the bone level is considered healthy. Also signs of bleeding on probing will be signs of inflammation

Back