• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2 abscesses?

M

Mely77

Would someone please be able to help me. I am currently having 2 root canals done
One with my nhs dentist the other privately as it is a re treatment. The endodontist did the retreat Saturday and removed pus from the root. He told me to carry in taking the erythromicin I'd been prescribed to kill off any bacteria. Now both sides of my favourite have pressure going up into my face I'm scared as to how bad this could get do I have abscess now in both teeth will they spread ? I'm beyond worried any advice you could give me I'd be really greatful
Thank you

Hi the abscesses will not spread. The antibiotic will be working to keep things calm and prevent a flair up. The re-treatment will get rid of the infection on that tooth, and the rct that the other dentist is doing will get rid of the infection in that tooth.

Nothing bad will happen to you, you have two dentists taking care and watching these teeth so you will be fine. The antibiotics work by calming the infection down and keeping it at bay until further treatment is given by the dentist. The re-treatment will be complete when the infection is gone from that tooth, the dentist will know when it is clear. They can then put a perm filling in and maybe crown it. :grouphug::butterfly:

Carole thank you so much for replying i have felt so anxious and scared that I would wake up swollen and in agony I can't believe I have 2 abscesses. Are they able to see them when they are doing root canal ? The NHS one is being done in appts.and broken down each week. I guess that's what the throbbing is ? This is my second round of erythromycin and is hope this is all over by xmas.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me xx

Last edited:
You should be fine by Christmas. About three years ago I had a long term abscess that was really bad, a dentist I had been seeing told me for nearly two years that the pain and swelling I was experiencing was nothing so he left me in agony. Eventually I went to see another dentist who told me that it was an abscess and I had had it a long time. The infection didn't spread and it did take a rct and a few courses of antibiotics to clear it up but by the time I got to Christmas I was fine. Mine also was treated at this time of year and I had the best Christmas because I was out of pain the infection was gone and I could actually eat. I still have both teeth they were crowned and have been fine. My re-treatment was done over about 5 appointments at the local dental hospital, they were long app's but the dentist I saw was lovely and I went from a shaking wreck to being quite calm when I had an appointment.

I had a re-treatment on a different tooth that had infection on it the following year and that worked out fine too. I felt terrible before treatment and the antibiotics can make you feel horrible but if you take something dairy with it, it helps the pro-biotic little bottles are especially good. They help keep your stomach settled.

All the best to you and you will be fine for Christmas, :xmastree:its nearly here. Let us know how you get on please. :butterfly:

Thanks carole. I had to see my nhs dentist today as have lots of ulcers he said a bit of temporary filling had come out of my re treated Canal and fixed it and also cleaned my teeth and in between them a bit. The redo of the root canal has been throbbing a lot since I'm a bit worried by what that means? It was ok till he it new temp on top but he didnt touch the tooth as such. Coukd this mean the abscess is back as it's the same throbbing as before it was done Saturday just gone. Sorry for all my questions

It could be that because he has put a filling back in that it has disturbed the tooth. You may get a bit of throbbing from time to time as it can take a bit of time for things to settle down. Even after a re-treatment, if this persists contact him again and see what he has to say about it.

Don't be sorry for any questions that is what we are here for. If we can help on here we will, ask as many questions as you want. There isn't a silly question so ask away. We are trying to deal with the unknown when we have treatment and if we don't know what to expect it can be scary and a big worry. I thought my re-treat was going to fail because after it was complete and a perm filling had been put in it still would give me a bit of trouble. Take pain meds if they help, don't let it build up, also with you being worried it can make things feel worse. A bit of pain, stress, and worry can soon have us convinced that things are drastic.

Give it a few days and if it doesn't ease then contact your dentist again. Don't leave it longer than a few days because I am not a dentist and have no medical training at all. I just have experience of treatments and hopefully this will help you a bit. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Hi I had thenext part of my root canal done the widened the canals and cleaned right down to the root. I hate the dentist with a passion but I have to say I didn't feel a thing of what he was doing. That one is nearly finished the one on the other side is still playing me up. Dentist checked my wisdom tooth on top right and it may need filling or to come out he wasn't sure that wasn't source of my problem and not the re treated root canal. Since I've got home the wisdom tooth is throbbing a bit. I'm not seeing him till next Wednesday now. Please tell me I haven't got another abscess?? when he tapped it it just left a mild dull after ache if that makes any sense I won't cope well if it is as I will panic again that it is going to swell up. I have two days antibiotics left to take will that control it? I'm so sorry to be on here again.

Yes the antibiotics should keep things calmed down. Antibiotics are still working and doing their job for 7 days after you stop taking them so don't give up hope yet. Keep going you are doing well :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Hi I just wanted to update my post I had a wisdom tooth removed yesterday as I had yet another abscess it's out a bit sore but must say I didn't feel pain whilst it was being done just pressure. I had an appt today regarding my re treated root canal there is no further infection there and it it's healing. My nhs on on the other side is doing ok too. I have an and newer or the pressure feeling in my face I have bruxism a lovely kind dentist spent time with me today examining my jaw and cheeks and really asking about my symptoms and it appears I grind my teeth. I also found out I currently have no further infections in my teeth. I have had an awful time with pain the last few weeks and I am so scares of the dentist but if you stick with them they will get you there it just sometimes takes asking questions and them to keep going till they find the answer. I can recommend my nhs dentist dr naveed in deptford dental practice he is a very kind patient friendly guy who listens to all my anxieties. I went private for my root canal re treatment and even though it wasn't cheap it has been worth it for the care and attention paid to me they are smile up dental practice in Lewisham. I am not completely better by a long stretch but relieved and pleased I've stuck it.out woth the dentist.if you are in are pain't please go sooner rather than later it's never as bad are pins you think it will be and they want to help xx

Congrats on making it and getting the wisdom tooth sorted out. Things should pick up fairly quickly now. It sometimes seems like a never ending roundabout with out teeth but as you are finding out and have said, stick with it and eventually you get there.

All the best to you and happy healing, looks like you are going to be good for Christmas :jump::jump::xmastree::butterfly:

Back