• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2 teeth extracted and not replacing them?

K

Kevinboy

I’ve just had 2 teeth (one premolar and one molar, both next to each other) extracted last week. I’m gradually back to my normal routine, although still not ready to eat on that side yet. I’ve just had a follow up with my dentist today and unsurprisingly he recommended me to have 2 implants. While cost is a problem to me, I also don’t want to go through more surgery and more dental visits. That’s why I don’t even want the denture option. I had another tooth on the other side extracted last year and everything is fine. I don’t even notice the hole is there. This time though, it is a bigger hole because of 2 teeth. Does anyone or you know anyone not replacing 2 teeth in a row? Is it fine to do so? Thanks for your advice!

Depends a lot on your age and your concern for aesthetics. If you don't put anything there, you're going to have bone loss and your teeth may and probably will drift over time. How much you care about those things, only you know - but if you think the drifting and moving out of position of your other teeth will bother you later, implants to prevent boneloss before you don't have enough bone to implant into them, makes sense. Though even something like a partial denture will keep your teeth from moving around.

Depends a lot on your age and your concern for aesthetics. If you don't put anything there, you're going to have bone loss and your teeth may and probably will drift over time. How much you care about those things, only you know - but if you think the drifting and moving out of position of your other teeth will bother you later, implants to prevent boneloss before you don't have enough bone to implant into them, makes sense. Though even something like a partial denture will keep your teeth from moving around.

Exactly! No treatment could mean movement of adjacent or opposing teeth. Some of the movement can be undesirable and lead to food packing and then lead to tooth decay or gum disease. I see this all the time and would recommend replacing any missing teeth you have.

I lost teeth and did not have them replaced because they couldn’t be seen. This was before the knowledge that without replacement I would lose bone and my teeth would start shifting. Your dentist is giving you good advice in telling you to replace those teeth when you can!