• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2 top back molars need extracted! Scared

A

Acazz470

Hello
Just got back from dentist. I have 5 cavities to fix and getting 2 top back molars extracted. I’m so scared of the extractions because I’ve read top molars have 3 roots. Also, the placement is way in the back and not easily visible. The molars are not broken, but one molar has a large cavity that is continued onto the following molar beside it. Opted to extract them and get a partial. How bad is it to pull back molars? I’m so scared of pain, and sedation isn’t in the budget

In my experience, the upper second molar was a pretty easy extraction. I have had both upper and lower molars extracted. The upper one was by far the quickest extraction and easier recovery.

Gah thank you. I’m so nervousssss.

Gah thank you. I’m so nervousssss.
My first extraction as an adult was my upper second molar. I was terrified! I asked for nitrous oxide because I didn’t think I would be able to make it through. In reality, I don’t think the nitrous even really kicked in before the tooth was out. Lol. I remember asking “it’s done already?” when the surgeon said it was out.

Oh that is comforting to hear! I’m hoping it goes smoothly. I just wish I could stop thinking about it! ?

Hi Acazz470, this is scary, but it's great that you are moving forward anyway. :claps:
Is there anything particular that worries you about the extractions? What are you afraid may happen?

Hi I had my UL6 molar removed today as there was an abscess at the root. It was an on the spot decision to remove the tooth there and then and I’m so pleased I did. I first had two injections one was pretty pain free the second one hurt a little mostly pressure but it was over quickly and I was numb fast. Within about 5 minutes the tooth was out and I didn’t feel a thing! There are some weird noises and a little bit of pressure but it was totally manageable and not worth worry about! The worst thing for me is being able to feel the gap! I did bleed for quite a while after but I think I changed my gauze too frequently. I know it’s scary but it’s not worth loosing sleep over as that won’t change anything! It’ll be over before you know it, I would say the pain on a scale of 1-10 at most was probably a 2. Just a weird feeling and that is me being completely honest. I hope this reassures you a little as I know myself there is nothing worse than it being constantly on your mind. If you want to talk more or have any questions I’d be happy to share my experience. Take care :)

Hi Hartington99, so glade to hear today went so well! I know I too found it easier to get treatment done more on the spot or with less time between appointments, so I didn’t have as much time to build it up in my Head and worry especially as it was never anywhere near as bad as I had imagined.

Last edited:
Back