• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2 weeks later pain in 1 site. Normal?

B

blueboxbadwolf

Im 2 weeks out today from having all 4 wisdom teeth out. 3 sockets randomly hurt for a moment or 2 but are fine the majority of the day. The lower left socket still hurts. I assume it was the hardest to get out it was horizontally impacted and only partially erupted. The other lower one was horizontal but almost completely erupted through the tissue. I am a week shy of turning 30 so i know healing is slower but is this "normal"? The pain will start as an ache that if i dont get it in check turns into a throbbing ache. Im using 800mg ibuprofen still plus heat and tylenol if that doesn't do the job. I ran out of my other pain med after 6 days. I went in at a week due to pain and they cleaned out both the bottom sockets and put dry socket paste in that helped a ton then. But they've dissolved and came out already. And this one spot is just different it spreads under the teeth in front of it. It makes my ear hurt. It will have me tense and agravate the top socket on that side. Right now im away from home just took ibuprofen im drinking gas station hot chocolate for the heat and its so bad im nauseous.:confused:

I feel for you but you need to be seeing someone in person with this problem this site cannot help you with this problem as it is a forum for people that are phobic or nervous when having to visit the dentist and all we can offer someone is support and encouragement to try and face their fear and find a dentist that can help them in person.

After saying that it takes different amounts of time for things to heal but to be in so much pain and feeling sickly isn't normal please seek medical attention in person for this. Some aching at this point is normal and things should be getting better.

All the best to you do let us know how you get on.

Hey bluebox -

Just wanted to add that it's very clear from your previous posts on the forum that you do have dental anxiety so please be reassured that you are very welcome here :XXLhug:

Carole is correct that this one needs professional attention, please contact your dentist or the oral surgeon who carried out the treatment and hopefully they will be able to help you - you shouldn't be in pain like this at this stage x

I feel for you but you need to be seeing someone in person with this problem this site cannot help you with this problem as it is a forum for people that are phobic or nervous when having to visit the dentist and all we can offer someone is support and encouragement to try and face their fear and find a dentist that can help them in person.

After saying that it takes different amounts of time for things to heal but to be in so much pain and feeling sickly isn't normal please seek medical attention in person for this. Some aching at this point is normal and things should be getting better.

All the best to you do let us know how you get on.

1 i know this is a site for dental phobia thats why i joined. 2 there are several posts about pain ______ days after a procedure and is it normal. I haven't seen any replies scolding them because its a phobia group and not for that however. 3 i don't take anything from this group as professional medical advice. I can however see if it is common before i deal with calling in. I have made 1 trip in already as i said and when it came to the topic of pain they were very dismissive and stated i will heal slower because of my age. I didn't even ask for any meds just about what to expect. I also asked if i had dry sockets since they cleaned them out and pacted them and did not get a straight answer. Before that i was in tears over pain, it went to my ears, spread across other teeth, i could feel air hit the hole as i spoke. The nurse told me "well the dry socket paste helps either way i will let the dr talk to you." She packed it before he looked atit and he didn't answer the question. I was also scolded by my nurse over my anxiety the day of the procedure. And this isn't some low reputation office. It has the best rep in town. But as i said i am trying to gauge wether or not to call in. 4 i don't have any symptoms of actually being ill the nausea was from hurting.

Hey bluebox, I thought we might be posting at the same time there!

You'll probably have seen my post by now, it's OK, people know you're anxious x Reading your first thread makes it very clear.

Yes, this is one to call in. I'm sorry to hear the nurse scolded you, that's totally out of order, lots of people are anxious at the dentist and it's their job to take care of you - however you are.

I think there may have been a wee spate recently of new members posting drive-by technical dentistry questions who are not really using this place as a phobia forum, just as a general dentistry forum, so this may have been a case of you being caught in the crossfire.

Please do stick around!

Sorry you are dealing with pain and hope that it all gets sorted. I know that being in pain AND having to deal with anxiety is a horrible combination.

Please know that recently the site has been slammed with new members seeking free dental advice and I have been overwhelmed trying to weed out those who truly need our support and guidance and those taking advantage of our volunteer dentist's time. The last thing I want is for someone who truly has dental fears to be overlooked due to the multiple posts from those who don't. Carole has been very kind in trying to help and this nothing more than her trying to give me some assistance. So, please don't take it personally, Carole is one of the most caring, helpful, compassionate people on this site and this just happened to be an oversight.

Hey bluebox -

Just wanted to add that it's very clear from your previous posts on the forum that you do have dental anxiety so please be reassured that you are very welcome here :XXLhug:

Carole is correct that this one needs professional attention, please contact your dentist or the oral surgeon who carried out the treatment and hopefully they will be able to help you - you shouldn't be in pain like this at this stage x

Thank you. The only experience with this i have ever had is my husband had 7 teeth including his wisdoms out last spring. One bottom side had 3 teeth that wete all together removed and the other bottom side 2. He was miserable for weeks. I imagine that this would of course take longer to heal as its a bigger site to heal. He expects that several weeks is normal and so is what I'm experiencing. So I'm just trying to get a feel for what is common and wether or not i need to call in. I hope neither of my responses come across as hateful as that is not my intent. Just trying to explain where i am coming from.

Sorry you are dealing with pain and hope that it all gets sorted. I know that being in pain AND having to deal with anxiety is a horrible combination.

Please know that recently the site has been slammed with new members seeking free dental advice and I have been overwhelmed trying to weed out those who truly need our support and guidance and those taking advantage of our volunteer dentist's time. The last thing I want is for someone who truly has dental fears to be overlooked due to the multiple posts from those who don't. Carole has been very kind in trying to help and this nothing more than her trying to give me some assistance. So, please don't take it personally, Carole is one of the most caring, helpful, compassionate people on this site and this just happened to be an oversight.

No worries. Im not angry and as I said hope that didn't come off as hateful. I agree we seem to be posting about the same time. Hope things calm down on your end as well.

Hey, it's OK, you don't come across as hateful at all! :XXLhug: All just a bit of a misunderstanding by the sound of it.

It's quite hard to gauge, but I have to say that if the pain is so intense it's making you nauseous, that does sound out of the ordinary and not what would be expected. It will take time and you would expect some pain, but my understanding (I not a dentist) is it's not usually that intense.

Hi no offence taken here and I did try to answer you with caution in case you were anxious and I had missed it somewhere. This does seem to be the case and I welcome anyone to correct me if I have got the wrong end of the stick. There are so many people joining that are new to me that I don't know everyones past posts.

I would hate to upset someone that already feels stressed and anxious, I have been in this position myself. When I first joined this forum I found it really hard to make posts and was worried about upsetting anyone, I didn't even know how to use my computer properly and was worried sick about doing things wrong.

I apologise if my comments upset you, I didn't mean it to. I do think you need to see someone straight away because as has been said your symptoms are not normal and need attending to.

I had not read any of your previous posts so missed about you being anxious. I am really pleased you came back and corrected me.

All the best to you, I hope you manage to get to see someone that will listen to you. If you continue to have problems dealing with the dentist ask to have a word with the practice manager and ask for their help. If this doesn't work put your concerns in writing to the practice manager. They have to take you seriously and address your concerns then.

Im 2 weeks out today from having all 4 wisdom teeth out. 3 sockets randomly hurt for a moment or 2 but are fine the majority of the day. The lower left socket still hurts. I assume it was the hardest to get out it was horizontally impacted and only partially erupted. The other lower one was horizontal but almost completely erupted through the tissue. I am a week shy of turning 30 so i know healing is slower but is this "normal"? The pain will start as an ache that if i dont get it in check turns into a throbbing ache. Im using 800mg ibuprofen still plus heat and tylenol if that doesn't do the job. I ran out of my other pain med after 6 days. I went in at a week due to pain and they cleaned out both the bottom sockets and put dry socket paste in that helped a ton then. But they've dissolved and came out already. And this one spot is just different it spreads under the teeth in front of it. It makes my ear hurt. It will have me tense and agravate the top socket on that side. Right now im away from home just took ibuprofen im drinking gas station hot chocolate for the heat and its so bad im nauseous.:confused:

I so, so sorry. You must be miserable, or you must HAVE been miserable. Hope you feel better. This post is about how you may have made mistakes and what they may have been, and also instructions for the rest of you reading this. I currently had ten teeth pulled within a two week period. No dry sockets! Yay!! Next, ll all 12 front teeth, top and bottom) did have dry sockets once, when I had wisdom teeth pulled. However, I don't have instructions on how to treat dry sockets.
First of all, no hot food or drink at any time after getting teeth pulled. NO HEAT of any kind. Ice within first 36 hrs. After that, heat not only increases inflammation, but it also gives bacteria an improved playground and it sounds like their playground is something like the club kids style playground. Up to no good and tormenting the club security with fornication and ensuing reproduction, so they are overpopulating your mouth night club!? So, no heat. Ice does no good after 36 hours. It may not be good after that. Our body's temperature is actually the best, for blood flow, bone growth, nerve function etc. make sure no hot bus. Also, I had dry sockets with my wisdom teeth. The smell and taste of the pus made me vomit all day. Ask for Zofran ODT, or ANY nausea prescription. If no, use emetrol or Coke syrup. I had antibiotics, you didn't mention those, and Percocet. I always wondered, looking back, why did I stay on percs for so long? Well, dating the dentist, and PAIN rally bad pain from dry sockets. Even if I wasn't dating him, at, no, he wasn't one of the two dentists I dated. That's right I remember now. My mom flew me to Phoenix from San Diego to have her dentist pull my wisdom teeth. So, anyway. You should have stronger pain medication (although your infection may not be as bad as mine was. I didn't see your post mentioning the smell or taste. The only nausea and vomitiing I ever had that was worse was Jagërmeister hang over, so bad that I was literally puking for 8 hours all that was left was mainly dry heaves, and a green substance I later learned was bile from my liver. Idk bout that but I do know if you don't stop with the heat, and demand antibiotics and stronger pain medication if yours isn't working. No carbonated bevs, no straw, no sucking of and kind (the pressure of sucking dislodged your blood clots possibly. No mouthwash, instead 3 times a day, saltwater rinse. Do not brush around the extraction site for a full 24 hours. Use salt water when brushing. Normal toothpaste sent good. Keep pressure on the gauze and don't remove unless it's completely wet. Keep head elevated, even when sleeping, to control bleeding. Wait a full 24 hours before salt water rinses. When you rinse, do it very gently very, very gently. No swishing it around in your mouth h. The formation of blood clots take place in the ours after teeth are pulled.you will have a gross soft scab on our tooth possibl. For some reason only one of my teeth. Has this. It was gross. I never explore or just touch the area with my tongue either. Don't do that okay? I'm sure some of these directions are also good for your situation with dry sockets. To other users, moderators, I know this may not be the appropriate response for dry sockets. I'm sorry. If you want me to delete this and post it elsewhere, I will. I'm considering posting it under a different post rather than a reply. Take good care also, I'm falling asleep over and over so I don't have time to edit. Sorry:cry::(:clover: And good luck! Dnlpain

Back