• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

20 teeth to be removed, frightened!

X

xxsamowenxx

Hi all, I've just joined today!

For most of my childhood, my dental hygiene has been poor and only worsened by poor management of my diabetes (I have it under control now!), i am now 19 years old and decided to get my teeth fixed.

After extensive work on my anxiety, i managed to find a dentist and get fill-ins done on some bottom teeth at the front and one tooth at the top.

I was told yesterday that i will have to have 12 teeth removed from the top row and 8 removed from the bottom row.

I will be put to sleep for the procedure, however with my teeth being so weak my gums bleed easily, im very worried out how much they'll bleed having 20 teeth extracted!

I am currently having a denture made, I'm really unsure what to expect when i wake up, I cant help but feel waking up with 20 less teeth must be awfully painful, i have never had teeth extracted and I'm terrified!! Has anyone had multiple teeth removed who might be able to calm my fears a little? I'm very worried, the op is in the next 3 months.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Sam.

I was told in January I needed all bottom teeth extracted and a full bottom denture. I waited til summer to get it done and I had it done last Monday. The anticipation was much worse that they actual procedure. My dentist was by far amazing and knew how scared I was. I got immediates right after. During the procedure I did not feel a thing and it was over pretty quickly. Stitching took the longest. It did bleed off and on when I got home but quickly stopped. I was swollen but nothing terrible and hardly any pain. Once the novacaine worse off I was talking normal. Eating has been an issue but now that I’ve gone for my first reline it’s getting better. I am so happy I got it done because now I can smile proudly. Like I said anticipation was much worse but everything else wasn’t nearly as bad as I imagined. Good luck! You will do awesome.

I was told in January I needed all bottom teeth extracted and a full bottom denture. I waited til summer to get it done and I had it done last Monday. The anticipation was much worse that they actual procedure. My dentist was by far amazing and knew how scared I was. I got immediates right after. During the procedure I did not feel a thing and it was over pretty quickly. Stitching took the longest. It did bleed off and on when I got home but quickly stopped. I was swollen but nothing terrible and hardly any pain. Once the novacaine worse off I was talking normal. Eating has been an issue but now that I’ve gone for my first reline it’s getting better. I am so happy I got it done because now I can smile proudly. Like I said anticipation was much worse but everything else wasn’t nearly as bad as I imagined. Good luck! You will do awesome.

Wow thank you for sucu a positive response, i am expecting swelling etc i just think its very daunting! Hopefully I'll adjust to everything, pleased everything has gone well for you!

Yes there will be blood but prob not as much as your imagining they'll be (its always worse in your head),I had to have all of mine extracted. Dont think to much of the pain coz they can give you stuff for that I just wasn't keen on feeling so uncomfortable (if that's the word to use) wasn't expecting that but its different for everyone so hopefully not as bad as your thinking.

Last year at 19 years old I had 22 teeth extracted. It was painful but not horribly so. After the first week I was doing much better (and I had extra circumstances I won’t go into here because I don’t think that would help) I can tell you that 10 months later I don’t regret it. I can eat without pain...I haven’t thought about if what I’m eating is to hard and might break my tooth ect. It’s not a pleasant experience I’m the beginning but I can assure you it’s worth it!

hi I had a dental appointment today he told me I have to get all 20 of my teeth removed I will be sedated under sleep dentistry they call it I had an impression for my dentures made today my surgery is booked for August the 9th I have gum infection have had it all my life but it’s got worse now I am over it infection the bad breath the embarrassment just scared would be helpful to hear how others went my teeth are quite loose so should be easy extractions just a huge step. but great to hear your story

Back