• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

20 year old, 10 fillings, really worried.

C

cameron1994

Hi,

I'm a 20 year old mate, I am worried because I have ten fillings in total, most of which I have had for aslong as I can remember. I wouldn't say I don't look after my teeth but I would say I could have done more. Over the last few years I have really started to look after my teeth, I brush them three times a day and use mouthwash regularly. I am so worried that my teeth just aren't going to last me for aslong as I need them though because most of them have fillings at such an early age in my life, this has really started to get me down and depressed. I have recently started to get some of these fillings replaced as a few were leaking and I have had them replaced with amalgam fillings on the bottom sides. Please if people could give me advice I just want to try and forget this and get on with my life, like I said it's really starting to get me down and worried.

Thankyou.

Hi Cameron and :welcome:.

It sounds like to me you are doing a great job with the upkeep of your teeth.

Making an appointment is the hardest part. Second is going. We all know what you are going through. What are your specific concerns?

I'm sorry Cameron :there-there: I can really relate to how you feel having all those fillings at such a young age! It's very depressing :( and I remember when I first heard the news about a year ago that I was in need of thirteen fillings as well as wisdom teeth removal (one of those teeth which I had filled I actually recently had to have a root canal performed on). It made me so very sad. I just couldn't believe my ears. How...what...why...it isn't fair! I'm surprised I didn't have a mental breakdown in the office. I had one as soon as I got in the car, though! :ROFLMAO:

I would like like to say I've come a long ways, that I've progressed...but I still find myself sitting in a pool of self-pity, stuck in misery like gum to a shoe! I'm always worried about my teeth, always down in the dumps over my mouth, still trudging through a long road of dental work...however, the thing is that we mustn't give up, even if that would be much easier than pushing ahead! I've had all the crappiest dentists in the world it seems like and all the crappiest luck you can possibly imagine! But the thing is that there is so much life to be lived yet! Why let teeth be my downfall? Why let them keep me from doing something amazing with my life?

You'll be alright. It doesn't seem like it now, but just keep imagining how good the future can be if you make it so! Find things to enjoy in life that will help take your mind off of your dental misery. That's the first step to real recovery, happiness :)

You aren't the only one last month I treated a 20 year old by performing 18 fillings and one root canal. I used IV sedation and his whole attitude has changed.

Howdy Cameron, I'm in a very similar position. I'm 25 and neglected my teeth for years by drinking soda, eating a lot of crappy food and never going to the dentist. So when I went back last year after a good 10 year hiatus, I was upset when they told me I needed 4 fillings. Since then, I needed 3-4 more (I lose count now :p) so I can really understand where you're coming from, and yes it sucks. But what gets me through it is realising that if I don't treat the cavity now, it will end up infected/abscessed and needing a root canal or even worse, an extraction (which isn't the end of the world, of course) but I know I'd rather have fillings and save my teeth, wouldn't you?

Also I have almost cut out sugar from my diet completely, and it's helping ;D

Hi!

During my childhood, I had a poor dental hygiene but I didn't have any cavities. When I was older, I took care of my teeth and I had my first cavities. I went to the dentist in May and she found several cavities (my previous appointment was about 3 years ago). Thus, now, most of my teeth are filled. I am ashamed to have so many fillings (most of them are silver fillings). In May, the dentist fixed a tooth with a recurrent decay. It was a deep cavity, close to the nerve, and a root canal would be probably necessary...

Back