• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

22yo female newly diagnosed with moderate periodontal disease

L

lostyoungadult

I am a 22 yo female diagnosed with moderate periodontal disease. I gum bleeds when I brush so I went to see a dentist. My dentist told me I've lost 25% of the bone and I have 4-6mm pockets all of my mouth. I got root planning and scaling. I am super nervous about gum recession and losing my teeth in the future since I am only in my early 20s. I've notice black triangles between my upper front teeth. I am really conscious about them and don't know what to do. Does anyone have similar experience in a young age? What is the prognosis for moderate periodontal disease? And how can I fix the black triangles between my teeth?

any health issues?
do you smoke?
can u post x-rays?

Periodontal (Periodontitis) disease is incurable. Your dentist will have to keep you on a quarterly cleaning/checkup to see your homecare is stabilizing it.

Periodontal (Periodontitis) disease is incurable. Your dentist will have to keep you on a quarterly cleaning/checkup to see your homecare is stabilizing it.

Let me add to the above post. While it is not cured in the sense that you still are susceptible it can be successfully managed for a lifetime. At your age it may require more than very three month care.

any health issues?
do you smoke?
can u post x-rays?
Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 5.09.25 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-12-16 at 5.09.04 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-12-16 at 5.09.53 PM.jpg
I don't smoke and don't have any other health issues. My only medication is oral contraceptive.

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I understand this is not a curable disease. However the bone lost and receding gums are due to inflammation (from my understanding). I want to know how likely it is for me to halt the progression of the disease and still have my teeth in current condition in my 50s.

Let me add to the above post. While it is not cured in the sense that you still are susceptible it can be successfully managed for a lifetime. At your age it may require more than very three month care.

I have reviewed articles about periodontitis progression rate and tooth lost rate in pubmed and it's not looking good. My goal is to keep my gum and teeth in their current condition. My lifestyle is pretty healthy except that I do find myself suffer from chronic stress as a pharmacy student. How many times should I visit the dentist per year? And what kind of warning sign (that will result in me visiting a dentist outside of my scheduled visit) should I pay attention to? During my dentist visit, what kind of care do I need?

Obviously you are most susceptible to have bone loss at such a young age. In my office I would refer you to a periodontist and recommend alternating every 2 month prophy appointments and full mouth probing once/year and complete x-rays every three years. You will need a high level of maintenance long term.
Might also add medications too. Of course this is only a general guideline. I also want to be sure you are checked out medically too. This is out of normal range by a couple of standard deviations.
In general the younger the patient with bone loss the more severe the disease.
Good luck I hope this helps

Back