• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

25 and hygenist say I might need a deep cleaning. Will things get better or just keep getting worse?

M

Mr.Ritz

25 and hygenist say I might need a deep cleaning. Will things get better or just keep getting worse?

I had not been to the dentist in 4 years and went to one a few months back where I had 2k of work done on my teeth. I thought I was in the clear for a while but when the hygienist cleaned my teeth she said that if things do not improve by the next time she sees me then I will need a deep cleaning. :shame:

At this age am I in for a long haul of dental work every six months because it sure feels like it. My grandpa had false teeth and my dad had them at 35. I feel like I am going that way too.

Good dentist but already do not feel like going back for cleaning due to hygienist.

Hello, I am 25 and a few months back I had 2k of work done because I did not go to the dentist for 4 years. Dentist great guy but the hygienist makes me not want to go back due to attitude. The thing is she really does not say that much at all probably because she has nothing good to say. When she looked at the paperwork or whatever she acted all amazed from how many cavities I had. Like "Wow, you are horrible for letting this happen to your teeth" . She doesn't say it but you can tell from the look on her face and the few words she did say. It feels like she is pissy towards people who cause her extra work. I am sure she would love a world where everyone teeth are perfect and she just does a 10 min cleaning and have a nice day but life is a bitch huh.

I know if I go back she is probably going to be pissy because I need that shitty deep cleaning. The second she switches into look down upon me mode. I want to stand up and tell her.. "Oh, well aren't you special you having a fucking degree from a community college, cleaning peoples dirty teeth for shit wage" Why don't you quit if it puts you into pissy mode? :mad:

The thing is I have had much more bitchy people then her that talk tons more shit.

Re: 25 and hygenist say I might need a deep cleaning. Will things get better or just keep getting wo

I really don't think it's that bad.

I'm 31 now, but by the time I was 25, I had already had braces which wrecked my teeth, ended up getting veneers when braces came off at age 18, which should have been replaced 5 yrs later, and weren't. I had if not one, but two fillings in each tooth.

After my canine tooth,on both top sides, I have 2 teeth, all the rest were pulled, due to cavities, same with the right, just 2 teeth after canine tooth, on the bottom I am missing 3 molars.

All of my front teeth had root canals on the top, two of which failed, and had to be done again a couple of years later.

A deep cleaning seems like a walk in the park to me!

Just pay as much attention as you can to your oral hygiene, brush at least 2 times a day, floss everyday...

Some of us are just prone to cavities as I am, I brush, floss,mouthwash, nothing works.

I guess the best thing you can do is pay close attention to your brushing habits, and see your dentist regularly.

:)

Re: 25 and hygenist say I might need a deep cleaning. Will things get better or just keep getting wo

Having a deep clean may help SAVE your teeth.
I had wayyyyyyy more work done, including a deep clean (in 4 stages). One year later, after 20+ years of neglect, I now have healthy gums and teeth. Had a six month follow up this summer and everything is better than it's ever been in my entire 53 years. And I'll stay with my new every-six-months schedule to keep it that way.
Don't avoid the deep clean...it could change your dental future.

Re: Good dentist but already do not feel like going back for cleaning due to hygienist.

"Oh, well aren't you special you having a fucking degree from a community college, cleaning peoples dirty teeth for shit wage" Why don't you quit if it puts you into pissy mode? :mad:

:giggle: Go for it!

Oh if that ever happens to me, i'll be the first to say something to them. I really hate when people just don't understand. They cop some stupid-ass attitude that they are better than you. Irks me!!

That is amazing so you can get to a point where you don't have a hygienist who is bitching at you?

I never listen to the hygienist. Only the dentist. I have only once met a really nice one.

Get the deep cleaning done, and forget about it:cool:

Re: Good dentist but already do not feel like going back for cleaning due to hygienist.

Wow, it's really bugging you eh?

I think the best bet then, is to ask for another hygienist.

I would not want someone I was that uncomfortable with come anywhere near me with sharp pointy things!

"Oh, well aren't you special you having a fucking degree from a community college, cleaning peoples dirty teeth for shit wage" Why don't you quit if it puts you into pissy mode? :mad:"

LMAO! I almost pee'd my pants reading that.

Please point me in the direction of a nice hygienist.

But yeah I can't imagine hygienist being a job anyone really wants to do. I mean that must be why they are so pissy?

I really lucked out with my hygienist. My absence was much muuuuch longer than yours and I was utterly terrified. He only asked me once why I waited so long to go and it wasn't in a condescending manner at all. for some strange reason, I was actually more comfortable with the fact that it was a male doing the cleaning over a female. He was so nice and made me not feel like an idiot for waiting so long to go. When it was all over, I really just wanted to hug him lol.

Maybe you could ask for someone else?

She is the only one that seems to work there the rest of the staff just helps them both out. Kinda like they are both bosses and share the rest of the staff.

Also, the office has emailed, called and text me to remind me I have an appointment 15 days away. Kinda pissing me off really. The other thing is I am waiting for dental insurance information because I am almost certain they are going to want to do deep cleanings and bs. Insurance could save me 1000's in dental each year. I am still a college student and really need this insurance and up until now I couldn't convince my mom to help me out on dental insurance. Hell, I tried to get her to help me find some before the 2k of work I had done but she insisted that it was not worth it. Even after the work she said you just had 2k of work done you should not have to spend more than 200 on a dentist this year. So 15 days before my next visit I have convinced her to help me out on some dental insurance.
The thing is it is going to have a 3-6 month waiting period before I can use it. Not sure what until I get the info from them but I am going to have to call back in a few days and more than likely push this appointment back until Jan. If I go before dental insurance kicks in it will not cover anything and could possibly ruin future coverage if I get diagnosed with a condition.
Also, wonder how they will feel about me pushing back an appointment 3 months but it could at the very least save me 200-300 or even close to 1000 depending how deep this cleaning is going to be.

Last edited:

Oh and wouldn't you guys find it really annoying for a dentist to make you an appointment 6 months in advance? I mean come I am a student and I don't know what days I am taking classes 6 months in advance or anything. I might be out of town and I certainly do not mark that day on my calendar and push everything aside for it. If I am going to work, class or vacation I can tell you the dentist appointment is going to be the one that gives first.

Back