• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

26 years without treatment - My dental journey

Well, it's the following week and I'm doing SO much better. No more need for pain meds, extraction sites are healing well and it's SO nice to be able to eat a bit more again! :) No plan yet for the new work, all I know now is I have a cleaning on the 29th. The office is waiting to hear from the DentalCard financing, and once that's in place, we make a plan to do the rest. I wanted to check back in and say hi, and that the hard part of the uppers is over! All I need up there now are crowns and appliances, all the really hard stuff is done! I hope you're all well, and I'll check back when I know more!

Your bravery is amazing, you are an inspiration!

I though my situation was difficult, complicated and a struggle (just had two teeth extracted today, and possibly many more in the future), but you have such big amount of such complicated procedures already done, and you keep going.. that's so amazing.

Your story humbles me and gives me a lot of perspective, you are really helping me a lot, thank you so much.

Now I have more courage to face my own troubles, when you can face yours so bravely.

Congratulations for having so much work done, I hope you are not in pain and can eat well and enjoy life.

You make me think that there IS good life after all the dental procedures, after it's all over, we can enjoy life again and feel joy and appreciate nature and so on.

Thank you again, I really needed to hear what you had to say!

It would be great to know the current situation and how things are going.

Thank you so much for your kind words!

When I started this journey, I told myself a few things, and maybe they will help you.

1. I am in charge. I can tell the dentist to stop at any time, and I made sure to find a dentist that would agree to this. Reminding myself that I am paying him to do a service FOR me, means that I am in charge of the situation and can walk away if the trauma comes up and I need to stop.

2. Every step after the first one, is one closer to the end. Each time I go, is a countdown to the prize, which will be my new smile.

3. I am allowed to need help feeling safe. I bring in my squishmallow toy and an aromatherapy inhaler to each appointment. The assistant moves my nitrous mask and lets me inhale a comforting scent every time I get really anxious. She started doing that all on her own once she knew I had it with me! Finding the right office took time, but I am so glad I did my research.

Things are going well now! I'm still without a lot of teeth, but that will come in the next few months. I promise to keep everyone updated!

You really are inspirational, your strength is something to behold. It gives me some strength to get through my appt on Monday, and if I can’t finish treatment to ask to get referred for sedation. You’re right, I am in charge! I hope you take a moment in all the dental anxiety crap to feel proud of yourself, because I’m proud of you! (Also a fellow Canadian, I’m over in SK)

Well I forgot to check in yesterday but I had another big appointment. We worked on my lower left jaw. I had two extractions a root canal and four fillings. can you believe I actually fell asleep under the nitrous in the chair? This office makes me feel so comfortable and safe. when I arrived they gave me a weighted blanket and then a warm blanket and a heated bean bag to keep me comfortable. I'm doing really well today, not needing anything for pain other than Tylenol and ibuprofen. My next appointment will be my lower right side. I need three extractions on that side and a root canal and two fillings. Once that side is done, all that's left is crowns and appliances. I am so very excited to show you my new smile.

falling asleep in the dentist chair!? If you could go back and tell yourself this a year ago, I bet you would never believe it!!
It sounds like you are definitely more than half way done now. I can't wait to see your new smile!

I mean, I was under nitrous, but yep! I had a nap. I will never leave this office unless I'm forced to, and hubby is joining me as he just can't believe how wonderful they are. I'll show so many pics when I'm done!

Today is my last extraction/filling appointment. 3 extractions, 4 fillings and a quick fix to a recently broken molar. Everything after this will be cosmetic (crowns, a bridge and 2 partials). I am surprisingly ok today and slept well last night. The difference that having a dentists who specializes in fear is ASTOUNDING. They make me feel proud of my progress, and they cheer me on and always listen. I'm going in with NONE of my comfort objects today, but I'll still be using their weighted blankets and be going under nitrous. I'll try to remember to update after! :)

Lovely to read how much more confident you feel and how your anxiety is improving :) Good luck today and keep us posted!:clover:

It went really well. They did the 3 extractions, 2 fillings, and 2 temp crowns. I'm very frozen, but I'm not in pain. I'm resting now, drinking water and hoping this set heals quickly.

Well, that set healed the quickest of all of them. Likely due to the rest of my mouth already being healthier. I go in today for my permanent crowns on my upper right side today, should only need one more crown appointment after this in prep for my bridge and partials. I'm so ready for this. I look forward to the appointments now, because each one brings me closer to the goal I've worked so darn hard for. I'll update after the appointment! ?

Well, that set healed the quickest of all of them. Likely due to the rest of my mouth already being healthier. I go in today for my permanent crowns on my upper right side today, should only need one more crown appointment after this in prep for my bridge and partials. I'm so ready for this. I look forward to the appointments now, because each one brings me closer to the goal I've worked so darn hard for. I'll update after the appointment! ?

Iam in tears reading your journey.
I’m so happy for you! You’ve come a long way. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

We're getting there! This pic shows my temp front crowns. Got them yesterday, under nitrous. No pain today, just weird re-learning how to talk with more teeth in my mouth. My next appt is June 14, when I will get permanent front crowns, one more temp, and a filling. After that, it's one more permanent crown and then we can insert my appliances! Woooo! I can't believe we're this far in, and it's been less than 6 months. I'm hopeful I'll have this all done before my birthday on July 21. Will update again closer to next appointment! :)

Attachments

• 190236169_159255126166609_7313914555004850990_n.jpg
    190236169_159255126166609_7313914555004850990_n.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 34
Just read through your whole journal! AMAZING work. So proud of what you’ve accomplished in such a short time. I have No doubt you will inspire so many with your journey! Can’t wait to see the rest. :cheer2:

Wow! I too have just read through the whole thread! Well done, you have done so well!

I cannot be seen until September and after not going to Dentist for 7 years and having missing upper teeth on right side, I know I am in for a hell of a journey!

Reading your story makes me feel I can do this and that there is life after bad teeth! Thank you so much and I look forward to your next update xxx

Wow! I too have just read through the whole thread! Well done, you have done so well!

I cannot be seen until September and after not going to Dentist for 7 years and having missing upper teeth on right side, I know I am in for a hell of a journey!

Reading your story makes me feel I can do this and that there is life after bad teeth! Thank you so much and I look forward to your next update xxx

Hi @Mum1986

You can do it too! I too had about a 6 year hiatus from the dentist and honestly after going back things were not anywhere near as bad as I expected. So good luck for your dental fear journey. Would be lovely to here your updates too if you so choose to ?

Well, I'm off to get my permanent front crowns and bridge today. My temp popped off so I look pretty silly. I've attached a pic! More later ??

Attachments

• 20210624_095142.jpg
    20210624_095142.jpg
    919.9 KB · Views: 31
Getting there! I need to go to an endodontist for one complicated root canal, and then we're fitting my partials and I'm done! I'll update again after the endodontist ?? we're almost at the finish line!

Attachments

• 20210625_091908.jpg
    20210625_091908.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 24
It's really coming together now, isn't it?! Congratulations ? ?!!! Looking forward to the update?

Had a bit of a tough point when the Endo said they can't get me in until Aug 23. So, I plucked up my courage and called my dentists office to see if we could still go ahead with my last crown and my partials. They said yes! I go on July 14 for that appt. So close to th finish line. They took pics all the way through, so if they give a copy to me I'll show you all the process ( if you want to see that is!) So, next update after that appointment! ?

Back