• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

26 years without treatment - My dental journey

M

MissM250

I have decided to tell my tale, here. I'm not going to go into what got me here, but I want to document the process of me finally getting help. I'm going to post a picture of what I'm starting with, so you can see where we get to after! Besides what you can see in this photo, I have 6 missing molars as well. I had a counselling appointment November 23, 2020 to start my path. My first in-office appointment is November 30, 2020. I am scared to death, but I'm doing this, and I'm taking you all with me. I cried my WHOLE one hour counselling appointment, and she was SO calm and reassuring with me. We're talking about partials, and I'm ready for this. I shake and cry every time I talk about it, but we're not backing out, not for anything. I WILL be able to take a beautiful picture one day, that's my goal! 20201124_163122.jpg

I wanted to let you know I wish you all the luck in the world, I’m here with you on this journey!! Cannot wait to hear your updates

Just 3 more days until my testing appointment. The anxiety is getting really tough, but I'm holding my own. Doing this during covid was likely NOT the best plan, but I'm not backing out now! I'm going alone as I don't want anyone to see how I act when I'm there, so that's a thing. I don't really know what to expect, but I know I'm in this for the long haul. No matter how long it takes, no matter how long it takes me to pay it off, I'm doing this.

That’s amazing !!!!! Here’s the thing : getting dental procedures done is not painful . It’s uncomfortable but you quickly get used to it . There’s no pain whatsoever , not even when they give you the injection ! Trust me , my pain threshold is very low . And I never felt a thing . It gets uncomfortable at times but never to the point I would cry . It’s just annoying and boring having to sit there and wait . You sure will be able to get your awesome picture . Congrats

Tomorrow is the day. I'm going to try to get a REALLY good sleep tonight, and I have my bus route planned out for the morning. I'm READY, which is not to say I'm not TERRIFIED, but this first appointment is the one I've been scared of for 26 years. I'm not afraid of the treatment, I'm afraid of the DENTIST. If I can build trust with this person, I will have literally climbed the biggest hurdle in my life. If I can do THIS, I can do everything else. I cannot WAIT to start eating and smiling again. It's been so many years I don't even remember what I looked like smiling with my teeth showing. I think my last pic like that was in 1999. This has been a long, traumatic journey. One day I'll get the guts to tell the past, but for now I'm looking at the future. I'm looking at taking you along as I work on this monumental moment in my life. Thank you for being here with me.

1.5 hours. Stomach wont settle down. I'm shaking, and I'm going alone. I'm trying to build resilience. I don't know how I'm going to make it, but I know I am. I've GOT THIS.

I'm outside waiting. Can't wait inside due to Covid. I want to run, but I'm not. I'm going to do this.

You all! I did it. I really did it. I cannot believe I went through with it. We discussed getting bridges done, I'll need a couple root canals and 6-8 extractions, but I DID it. He was AMAZED that I have no bone loss on my lower jaw and said when I can afford them in future, I'll be a perfect candidate for implants. EEEEEEEEk I can't get over the elation and relief I feel right now. I'm going for 3 cleanings in the next few weeks, and then the big work starts next year. I DID IT!!!!!!!

You all! I did it. I really did it. I cannot believe I went through with it. We discussed getting bridges done, I'll need a couple root canals and 6-8 extractions, but I DID it. He was AMAZED that I have no bone loss on my lower jaw and said when I can afford them in future, I'll be a perfect candidate for implants. EEEEEEEEk I can't get over the elation and relief I feel right now. I'm going for 3 cleanings in the next few weeks, and then the big work starts next year. I DID IT!!!!!!!
Congratulations!! What great news! So proud of you!!

Congratulations ? ? ?!!! You must be so relieved, and that's fantastic news about having no bone loss.

Thanks so much for sharing and WELL DONE!!!!

I still feel very sick about how much it will all eventually cost, but the worst (for me) has been done. Getting near a male dentist without passing out. I did have a bit of a panic attack, but they just slowed down until I could breathe better. I am honestly over the moon about these folks!

awwww wow!!!!! Amazing job! You are so brave and such an inspiration. I will definitely be following your story here. Do you think you can see the same dentist for every appointment? At my dentist's office, there are 2 dentists (a husband and wife) and I've heard both are amazing, but I really fell in love with one of the dental assistants. We have so much in common and she's really good at distracting me and knows how to handle my anxiety. In my notes it says that I will only ever see this particular assistant, and the dentist she assists (the male dentist). It takes some of the "what if's" away.

This is a very small office, so only one dentist. I wish there was a female dentist, however the rest of the staff is female, which helps with my biggest fear. My panic sets in when the dentist has his hands in my mouth, so I'll be having Nitrous for those times, and they promised to have a female assistant with me at all times. They have a counselor, which helps. After my cleaning tomorrow, her and I are going to start going over a treatment plan. I want it all done NOW, but I know I can't afford that, so I want to really plan this out well. I know what I want my end result to be, now just to survive the work! :)

I got my treatment plan. THANK GOSH FOR GOOD INSURANCE. Before insurance, my treatment cost is 28k. I need 9 extractions, 4 crowns, 10 fillings, 4 root canals, a partial upper denture, an upper bridge, and a partial lower denture. They are 100% willing to work within my insurance, comfort level, and time frame. I threw up when I saw the cost, but I just looked at my insurance, and the only thing that isn't 100% covered is the partials and bridges. I am SO SO lucky. WHEW, now that I know, now I am ready. LETS DO THIS.

I'm back for my first of 3 cleanings. I'm sick to my stomach, shaking, and scared. I don't want to panic. Whewwww... Trying to remember all the mental health tools I have access to. Breathing... Comfort objects... Music. I can do this, I know I can, I'm just so afraid.

I'll post more later since I'm about to leave for my own cleaning :( but you CAN do this! Please let us know how it goes. We're all rooting for you! xx

Good luck to both of you xx

It went well. I didn't even use my music, I was listening to the hygienist, who was so encouraging and kind. She kept reminding me to breathe, and to not let her violate any boundaries as we're trying to build a trusting relationship. I'm numb on my whole lower jaw, but my teeth look SO much better! I have 2 more cleanings over the next 2 weeks. I'm still scared, but I'm getting a bit better. Now, to start a new brushing and flossing routine! :)

I just flossed for the first time in 25 years. It felt GOOD. I'm actually looking forward to having a dental hygiene routine! <3

Back