• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

27yr Female- Suicidal after Left Upper First Molar Extraction

J

Jupiter108

Female
27 year old
Was on holiday in Bali, Upper Left First Molar chipped ( its been very sensitive for 3 years now)
Anyways, it dint pain or hurt at all when it chipped, no blood nothing
Fast Forward 2 months,
I get dental abscess and freak out, i go to the dentist (ER), he makes a hole in the tooth to make pus and gas come out
I am travelling so had no sense of direction of where to go, long story short, had the tooth extracted

Its been 3 weeks, i am depressed, always crying and suicidal...

I absolutely dont want an implant, coz emotionally the idea of a screw in my jaw is appaling, and im in constant fear of losing another tooth.
I am noticing sagging of my left cheek now and im only 27, i had 2 times orthodontics to get perfect teeth
and my teeth WERE PERFECT...

This molar was white as snow, had no filling or crown, infact i never had any crowns and just 1 filling on the tooth adjacent to this molar, which is the left second molar.

My Right Upper second molar is hurting now and im in constant fear
i dont eat or sleep anymore,

Im thinking of ending my life,

I read that there is this new thing called Molar protraction using TAD orthodontics to close spaces,
but im scared if they pull the second and third molar to cover the first molar space they get root resorbtion or sthng that i end up losing them too....

Im single, alone, lonely, and very beautiful untill i removed my molar...
i need some advice...

Dg6300

Dg6300

Call 211 or 911 (or your local equivalent) immediately.

J

Jupiter108

whats the point...
will 911 be able go get me my tooth back ? no , so no point dealing with anyone abt this
i just want to go back in time and keep my tooth and get a root canal instead

G

geos

whats the point...
will 911 be able go get me my tooth back ? no , so no point dealing with anyone abt this
i just want to go back in time and keep my tooth and get a root canal instead
You mentioned you are suicidal. You need help from a crisis line and 211 can help connect callers to those services. If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, call 911 or go to your nearest hospital.

S

Scared all the time

Your very young and though it may not seem like it now you have a lot to live for losing a tooth and fear of losing others is common and one of my biggest fears as well. I recently lost a upper 2nd molar to an abscess. It too was Snow White with no issues I’ve only had one tiny cavity my entire life and no other dental issues prior to that raging fast paced infection. When I lost the tooth is felt odd like my mouth wasnt mine anymore I failed myself somehow and thought I’m only going to start losing more. I didn’t want to go on feeling that way if I would feel that constant reminder in my mouth of a tooth gone. 5 months now and things did indeed get better I wished I could go back and do things different too but I can’t and I realize now it more then likely just had to come out it wasn’t getting better and the infection was only returning with a vengeance causing bone loss. Took me awhile to get that. I get your depression right now. You need to talk to someone about how you feel and maybe get some reassurance on a professional level. Big hugs and please hang in there ❤ It will get better

J

Jupiter108

i tried talking to family friends about it... first i tried with my parents theu dont understand the big deal, they said i should have called them before i do sthng this stupid...
anyways theh knos i have money for implats and anyways money is not a problem for me... my problem is i want my tooth back...

since i saw how lightly my parents have taken this, i decided not tell my friends, i just told them i got sick and had surgery to remove sthng from my body and i need 2 years to recover but ill never be the same again..

2 years is refering to going to see special orthodontist who specoalizes in closing big dental space or whats called Molar Protraction... this will cost me around 20,000 $ minimum even though the ortho costs 9000$ rest is flying expenses coz he is located in a totally different country...

my friends think i have cancer or sthng bcoz i refuse to tell them what surgerh i got and i have gotten very pale and thin in 3 weeks ...

S

Scared all the time

There are other options then implants. You need to investigate it a bit and see what will work for you. One dentist told me possible braces will fill things in a bit. Maybe a partial? My point is you have to fight for you and what your future will hold for you. You have to fight for your happiness and find peace in the things are can’t go back and change ( too many things to count I’ve love to go back and do over) but I can’t I have to go on and make my own happiness and peace. I’ve learned that the hard way. I’ve been in dark scary places before in my mind. It’s no fun there I had to get it in my head I needed to push through it and find some sunshine again. I took awhile but I did and I glad I did I’ve have missed so much in life. I let that darkness already steal too much of my life away don’t let it steal yours.

S

Scared all the time

People here understand what your going through. What’s not a bid deal for some terrifies others. It’s what makes us individual (unfortunately lol). My mom lost all hers in her 30s. It terrified me the thought I could too but she was happier and healthier I loved her all the same as did my sisters and dad and all the rest of the family. You have to do whatever it takes for you feel you need to to find peace and contentment again and enjoy life. Your worth it

J

Jupiter108

my dad is like 60, never had a cavity or root canal, has all teeth intact...
im 27... my 4 premolars were extracted by the bastard orthodontist when i was 8years old... please tell me how is this ETHICAL in dentistry to remove 4 healthy teeth from a child purely for ASETHETIC reasons...

but if u see what other things dentists do, like bridges, like wtf is the logic behind destroying 2 more teeth to cover the gap of the tooth in between!! so in 10 years instead of 1 tooth missing u get 3 teeth missing...

or this veneer bullshit that requires shaving a completely healthy tooth for this bullshit,..

its this reason amongst other billions that ppl HATE DENTISTS...coz some dentists are so UNETHICAL ...

im just crying while i type this, i just dont want anyhing in this world just my tooth back or i want to die peacefully...

i forgot to mention i model for a living... my confidence right now is ZEROOO, I FEEL LIKE THE UGLIEST GIRL ON THE PLANET , ven though noone can see the missing tooth, atleast none of my friends realized so far,,. excpet my friend who read my diary and saw i wrotd ì extrated a tooth then she seemed ouzzled , kept asking me to show her which tooth, evdn she thinks i have cancer coz somehow no one can wrap sround their brain that i am suicidzl bcoz of 1 tooth..

J

Jupiter108

now im thinking of braces... but im sooooo terrriefied that pullig the 2nd and 3rd molar 8mm will cause them to weaken and they r not in great shape either...
they dont hurt at all but i checked my records and my ex dentists said i had to remove all wisdom teeth and qst and wnd molar on both sides require root canals...

if i end up losing any tooth or requiring any root canal , i m thinking about ending my life

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MountainMama

I am so sorry to hear about your tooth. It is normal to have depression after losing a tooth, especially if you had no prior issues with the tooth.
I had chipped my front upper tooth as a child, and had some sensitivity at the time, but the dentist put in a filling and it never hurt again. This past October, it started bothering me and I found out I had a huge abscess! It was devastating, as I had no idea and it came out of nowhere. I had a root canal, and an apicoectomy to try to save the tooth. I still don't know if it can be saved, as it still hurts. I ended up going on antidepressants for situational depression, with the intent of going off them in 6 months. That helped me a lot, to clarify things and help me see out of the hole I was in regarding my teeth. I feel as if I can handle it now, even if I don't like it.
I also had four premolars removed for braces. It wasn't unethical, as there quite literally was not room in my mouth for those teeth. If they had been left in, my molars would not have had room, and I would have had issues with the roots of my teeth.
I understand your anger as well...I am going through that with my teeth as well.
There are other options besides a bridge, that would not damage your teeth and don't cover your mouth like a retainer.

Last edited:
Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Jupiter108 :welcome:

I am deeply saddened to read about your thoughts of ending your life and it only shows how overwhelming things feel for you now. I am glad you managed to get through the last three weeks without hurting yourself and I really wish you won't in the future either. Feeling suicidal is a sign of a crisis and it means you do not feel able to find any solution to your suffering right now, however it doesn't mean there is none. It sounds like you have some first ideas about possible treatment and I can only encourage you to find a dental care professional who can show you options to solve this and also help you look after all other teeth to make sure you won't ever have to lose any of them.

The thing that makes people beautiful is how they are as humans and not whether they miss a molar or not.. by the way the most lovely beautiful people who I admire have missing teeth and it doesn't make them any bit ugly (by the way, some of them are even dentists!). It is interesting that you feel so angry for an orthodontist removing teeth for your braces as you were a child, seemingly only for esthetics and right now you are judging yourself for seemingly a lack of beauty, however I also understand that beauty and perfection are huge parts of your life through your job.

Dentistry is a profession. There are kind people and not so kind people. There are people who practice from the point of looking after people and help them maintaining their dental health and there might be some who practice in a way that isn't that well minded.. like in any other profession. By the way, we have several dentists here on the forum.. who dedicate their professional time and also their free time to help people who struggle with dental anxiety, which is a beautiful thing. So while you might have head some very traumatic awful experiences with dentistry, it's not that all dentists are bad.

Well.. Samaritans. They are the first place to seek help if someone feels suicidal and you will find people there who can listen and might help you to carry the weight of all the emotions you are going through right now. They are also there for anyone who is going through a difficult time in life for whatever reason, or lack support among family or friends so giving them a call is always a good idea. And of course it is the first number to give to anyone who struggles. If you had a broken leg, we would certainly advice you to call emergency and it only makes sense if you have a broken soul.

All the best wishes and feel free to vent here, it is the very least thing we can do. Sending you well wishes and really hope you feel better soon (even if it might, right now, not feel like this will happen).

:grouphug:

B

badpatch

Female
27 year old
Was on holiday in Bali, Upper Left First Molar chipped ( its been very sensitive for 3 years now)
Anyways, it dint pain or hurt at all when it chipped, no blood nothing
Fast Forward 2 months,
I get dental abscess and freak out, i go to the dentist (ER), he makes a hole in the tooth to make pus and gas come out
I am travelling so had no sense of direction of where to go, long story short, had the tooth extracted

Its been 3 weeks, i am depressed, always crying and suicidal...

I absolutely dont want an implant, coz emotionally the idea of a screw in my jaw is appaling, and im in constant fear of losing another tooth.
I am noticing sagging of my left cheek now and im only 27, i had 2 times orthodontics to get perfect teeth
and my teeth WERE PERFECT...

This molar was white as snow, had no filling or crown, infact i never had any crowns and just 1 filling on the tooth adjacent to this molar, which is the left second molar.

My Right Upper second molar is hurting now and im in constant fear
i dont eat or sleep anymore,

Im thinking of ending my life,

I read that there is this new thing called Molar protraction using TAD orthodontics to close spaces,
but im scared if they pull the second and third molar to cover the first molar space they get root resorbtion or sthng that i end up losing them too....

Im single, alone, lonely, and very beautiful untill i removed my molar...
i need some advice...
Jupiter, read thread opened by me. I had a very similar situation. Please go to your GP and work with him/her for depression.
Please understand that it gets better. U have just lost 1 molar and if second molar is still intact there is really nothing to worry about. Either the gap will be smaller after some days or u can have a bridge. So there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
If possible take counseling also.
I did counseling as well anti depressant and in 8 weeks I m feeling normal even though I lost 2 molars. I was afraid of implant but now that my confidence is back I will do it.
For u I think if u decide not to do anything u will be fine. So take a deep breath and like I said first thing tomorrow is going to GP . I assure u it gets better. I m the example. 😀

B

badpatch

Also if the tooth was chipped mostly it might had to remove anyways . So root canal might not even have worked.

B

badpatch

One more thing, sagging of cheek is not possible in 3 weeks and that too when 2 other molars r intact. 😊
How I know it because I had the same concern and the new great dentist assured it is just my mind. 😊

J

Jupiter108

i have an appointment with an orhodontist to close the gap, bring my 2nd and 3rd molar forward ...it will cost me 10000$ and 2 years of braces, meaning i wont be able to model for w years , so ill lose 5000$ a month x 24 months thats more than 100,000$ because ofa tooth...

someone plz tell me how can i survive this eithout killing myself,,, i wanted to get marrird by next year and do some modeling for big brands.... now its the END OF MY CAREER... sthng i worked for allll my lifeeee... goes in 1 hour... it took the dentist 1 hour to extract the tooth coz it was healthy and stuck to the jaw, every since i can breath ffom my left nostfil soooo well that now im terriefied that he created a hole or dzmage to my sinus thats why i breath all of a suddenly so well from one nostril...

please mind u, the dentist wanted a root canal but when i saw the pus from the abscess i was so terrified and read lot of bullshit abt root canal and breast cancer and heart diseaze that i forced him to extract it e
ven though he was AGAINST the extract 200% , but he did it anyway , which begs the question, should dentist or doctors do what patients say even when they 200% disagree and know itsnot for their best interest...

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
i have an appointment with an orhodontist to close the gap, bring my 2nd and 3rd molar forward ...it will cost me 10000$ and 2 years of braces, meaning i wont be able to model for w years , so ill lose 5000$ a month x 24 months thats more than 100,000$ because ofa tooth...

someone plz tell me how can i survive this eithout killing myself,,, i wanted to get marrird by next year and do some modeling for big brands.... now its the END OF MY CAREER... sthng i worked for allll my lifeeee... goes in 1 hour... it took the dentist 1 hour to extract the tooth coz it was healthy and stuck to the jaw, every since i can breath ffom my left nostfil soooo well that now im terriefied that he created a hole or dzmage to my sinus thats why i breath all of a suddenly so well from one nostril...

please mind u, the dentist wanted a root canal but when i saw the pus from the abscess i was so terrified and read lot of bullshit abt root canal and breast cancer and heart diseaze that i forced him to extract it e
ven though he was AGAINST the extract 200% , but he did it anyway , which begs the question, should dentist or doctors do what patients say even when they 200% disagree and know itsnot for their best interest...
This sounds very heavy and really final. You just ended your career and gave up the wish to marry all in one post, all coming from your feeling not to be able to cope with a missing tooth and from your own decision not to get an implant nor a bringe nor seek for any other options but to get braces.

Reading your post I can see the deep sense of overwhelm and suffering and a lot of anger towards what happened and it is ok to feel this way and allow yourself to process things. It might however be a good idea to define what options you have in this situation and see which one of them would make you able to solve the problem. If you wish to keep on working, then finding a dentist and discuss all available options might help. There will be one that allows you to keep on going with your career and you decide what you would like to happen and what you wouldn't. I also second Badpatch - getting some help to cope with this might be a good idea, it sounds like you are under a lot of pressure right now.

Root canal treatment is a complex treatment that requires several visits and the tooth getting a crown later. Not everyone wants to cope with that. An extraction is not the wrong treatment but an alternative and the patient decides what gets done. Sounds like your dentist gave you options and a recommendation and you decided what gets done. As some replies above mention, there is nothing wrong with a missing molar as such. It is more about how you feel about it and what conclusions you get from this. This part is different for any patient and you dentist probably had no idea about how much you would regret the extraction. From what you write I am not too sure whether you would be that happy about a root canal treatment either. If you generally distrust dentists and have a particular relationship or expectations about how your teeth should be, then having a root canal tooth might bring you some difficulties as well. After all, it is also a treatment and also brings some consequences with it.

It sounds like you worked hard in your life to be where you are now and are obviously successful in what you do. I really hope you can get some help, it would be a pity if you stopped loving yourself and being kind to yourself because of a tooth. I will also keep my fingers crossed for you to find people who will be on your side and understanding.

S

Scared all the time

they have many options for braces now even. Clear, invisaliners ect my niece wore them for 2 years and no one even knew. I think first you need to get through the grieving process of losing the tooth so you can think clearly and decide on suitable options for you.

J

Jupiter108

This sounds very heavy and really final. You just ended your career and gave up the wish to marry all in one post, all coming from your feeling not to be able to cope with a missing tooth and from your own decision not to get an implant nor a bringe nor seek for any other options but to get braces.

Reading your post I can see the deep sense of overwhelm and suffering and a lot of anger towards what happened and it is ok to feel this way and allow yourself to process things. It might however be a good idea to define what options you have in this situation and see which one of them would make you able to solve the problem. If you wish to keep on working, then finding a dentist and discuss all available options might help. There will be one that allows you to keep on going with your career and you decide what you would like to happen and what you wouldn't. I also second Badpatch - getting some help to cope with this might be a good idea, it sounds like you are under a lot of pressure right now.

Root canal treatment is a complex treatment that requires several visits and the tooth getting a crown later. Not everyone wants to cope with that. An extraction is not the wrong treatment but an alternative and the patient decides what gets done. Sounds like your dentist gave you options and a recommendation and you decided what gets done. As some replies above mention, there is nothing wrong with a missing molar as such. It is more about how you feel about it and what conclusions you get from this. This part is different for any patient and you dentist probably had no idea about how much you would regret the extraction. From what you write I am not too sure whether you would be that happy about a root canal treatment either. If you generally distrust dentists and have a particular relationship or expectations about how your teeth should be, then having a root canal tooth might bring you some difficulties as well. After all, it is also a treatment and also brings some consequences with it.

It sounds like you worked hard in your life to be where you are now and are obviously successful in what you do. I really hope you can get some help, it would be a pity if you stopped loving yourself and being kind to yourself because of a tooth. I will also keep my fingers crossed for you to find people who will be on your side and understanding.
thank you for your reply, it really means so much to me that u took time out to write this...
as i said im currently travelling and my tooth got broken in Bali and now im korea where it got extracted...

if i want to close the space with braces then i need special braces called TAD temporary anchoring dental implants, they r like screws that move teeth...

they wefe invented in korea....

aparentky, teeth move fastest when the extraction is fresh,
teeh move 1mm per month, molar leaves around 8 to 10mm space... so i need 10 months for closure but i need these TADs braces...

if thats what i end up doing then i stag stcuk here in korea, instead of going to my job in france....

i feel like im on a time bomb ticking, the more i delay this the worse it gets and my hole gets bigger ....

so the sooner i put the braces the sooner i close the gap...

buf wtf am i supoosed to do in korea for 10 mionths minimum, bare in mind my ortho said i need 2 years even if the space requires 12 months to close ....

if i fly back to paris... thats so expensive and i have to see the ortho very 4 weeks ....

J

Jupiter108

sorry for all the spelling mistakes im literally crying while writing every msg