• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

28 facing dentures but absolutley terrifed

L

Lizwhite28

Hi All,

My names Liz and I am 28, I have not been to the dentist since I was 14. I have terrible teeth, a hole in my front upper tooth and all of my back teeth are impacted. I went to a dentist last weds after it taking me months even to make the appointment. I walked in and wouldn't even sit in the dentists chair, i started crying due to the fear and after a 20 min conversation let the dentist have a quick look. He said I will need sedation and said that he can't do it as they do not offer this. He gave me a number for a place that does this and i have an appointment this afternoon. I'm going to ask for dentures as my teeth are extremley bad but I am absolutley terrified, I'm crying, shaking, cold and really really scared. I can't explain why, I'm not even sure what I'm scared of but I am. I just want it all over with. I have no-one going with me this afternoon as everyone is busy. Not sure how I will cope and really hope I don't have another breakdown in the office as it's so embarrassing. Has anyone had dentures and can anyone give me any advice please? I'm desperate.

Thanks

Liz

Just to update - I went, I cried but I'm still alive :) The xray machine wasn't working so I need to go back before they confirm my plan but the dentist has said there is no way he will let me have dentures, he would like to work on my teeth. He said that I have a few good teeth and for the rest he will remove some of the back ones and do root canals and fillings on the rest. I would then maybe have to have a partial denture for some of the back teeth but no way would he agree to me having dentures which I'm quite disappointed with as I'm not sure I can go through so much work, I'm a wreck goin into the dentists. He has also asked me to consider having some of the work done without complete sedation, I have told him I think I will need something and he suggested diazepam. I just want to fast forward 3 months and for it all to be over with.

Hi Lizwhite28
I hope my post is not too late. Take a deep breath and calm down. Dentures at 28 is not something you want to do lightly. See what your options are, if you are i/v sedated for treatment you will be unaware of it.
The dentist you saw cannot possibly make a full clinical judgement with just a quick look. Kudos to him for chatting to you for 20 mins.

Don't know whether you have been referred privately or NHS but sometimes the NHS sedation places only do extractions - do not get your teeth extracted if it is not necessary.
Another poster in NHS was told sth similar that because of her fear her only option was dentures....she saw a private dentist and has kept her teeth. She was also in her twenties.
You don't have to have anything done at the appointment today. There is a dentist out there who can help you, you just have to find them. Getting dentures doesn't mean you never have to see a dentist again, you do for relines etc. The only time someone your age should consider dentures is if the teeth are not savable - health of the gums is the most important factor. if your teeth are not wobbly, they can probably be saved.

You can get i/v sedation for any treatment but not all dentists offer it. Treatment with just local anaesthetic can be painless with a competent dentist and therefore is nothing to be afraid of. We do have a dentist listed in Essex who has TheWand for painless local anaesthetic delivery and of course in Essex you also have easy access to London as well.

Last edited:
Just to update - I went, I cried but I'm still alive :) The xray machine wasn't working so I need to go back before they confirm my plan but the dentist has said there is no way he will let me have dentures, he would like to work on my teeth. He said that I have a few good teeth and for the rest he will remove some of the back ones and do root canals and fillings on the rest. I would then maybe have to have a partial denture for some of the back teeth but no way would he agree to me having dentures which I'm quite disappointed with as I'm not sure I can go through so much work, I'm a wreck goin into the dentists. He has also asked me to consider having some of the work done without complete sedation, I have told him I think I will need something and he suggested diazepam. I just want to fast forward 3 months and for it all to be over with.

Thank goodness for that. Ethics alive and well in UK.

Of course you can do it. Well done. It doesn't matter if you cry as you saw - it just shows that you need some TLC.

What happened in the past to cause your fear? There is always a solution to every issue as per the Common Fears section.

Sedation here, diazepam would be classed as oral sedation:

Thanks for the reply's means a lot to me. I have no idea why I'm scared, I just am and it's literally taken me years to make an appointment and go. I think once I have the plan and know what I'm facing I will feel slightly better. It's completely irrational my fear, I'm not scared of needles, hospitals or anything like that. I just freeze at the thought of the dentist, I can't even walk past one without getting the fear wash over me. My dentist is a very big practice that offers both private and nhs and also does the sedation there. I only had to pay £17 today and the dentist made reference to my treatment costing more to them than they could claim back from the nhs but he said he wanted to help me which was so nice and would mean me not having to max the credit card!! I'll have a look through the links you posted, thank you.

That sounds good then. We reckon some of the best NHS dental care does happen at the mixed NHS/private practices as the private patients slightly subsidise the NHS ones and you maybe get the benefit of nicer surroundings etc etc.
Sometimes large group practices have dentists with extra training in say endodontics(root canals) which is good if it means you get to someone more experienced in the procedure.

It sounds like they do have your best interests at heart.....dentures bah humbug!

Last edited:
Your fear sounds exactly like the sort where you just need to 'make friends with the dentist' and then see the same one over the years and build a relationship of trust.
Why would you enjoy having a different stranger every 6 months (who you didn't choose) messing around in your mouth and blocking your ability to speak in the process....see totally rational. Your medical GP rarely blocks your oral cavity and therefore doesn't remove your ability to speak and defend yourself most of the time.

If you see the same dentist and they chat a bit about non-dental stuff and are friendly and don't hurt you and give you control/ability to take breaks during appointments, you eventually find the fear diminishes because you like and trust them.
This doesn't mean you would be happy to see any dentist (and nor is it sensible to be - since they are not all the same). Who you are happy with is a very personal thing assuming you have a choice and choose where you go for care.

Thanks for the reply's I hope my fear will fade once I'm confident etc. They have about 8 dentists there and when I called for an appointment I told the receptionist that I had some impacted back teeth that needed removing and she said that she would book me in with the dentist that was a whizz at removing difficult teeth and does sedation. He seems really nice and understanding and didn't batter an eyelid when I started sobbing like a fool:shame:. I just hope I can make it through all of the treatment and that the root canals work etc.

Did u have a fear Brit and how did u overcome yours?

Thanks for the reply's I hope my fear will fade once I'm confident etc. They have about 8 dentists there and when I called for an appointment I told the receptionist that I had some impacted back teeth that needed removing and she said that she would book me in with the dentist that was a whizz at removing difficult teeth and does sedation. He seems really nice and understanding and didn't batter an eyelid when I started sobbing like a fool:shame:. I just hope I can make it through all of the treatment and that the root canals work etc.

Did u have a fear Brit and how did u overcome yours?

It's sounding good for you :).
I am a teenager of the 1970s and have had all kinds of dental experiences ranging from blissful through okay, to unnecessarily(no anaesthetic given) totally traumatic.

As a direct result of one dentist :devilish:, I would say I have always had an underlying dental anxiety based around a specific fear of pain during treatment and of being treated in a uncaring manner rather than a phobia.
I have never avoided care and seen many many dentists (as they used to change every 6 months at my NHS practice). Most are nice people. The bad ones are the minority.

My solution is simply to be careful whose chair you get into. You have to like and trust them, even if they all had equally good chairside manners which they don't, they still wouldn't be equally skilled or as adept at dealing with your particular dental issue. You can call a halt and leave if you don't like how things are going.

I am currently not in UK and my last UK private dentist was a nice guy and I trusted him but I really really like my current dentist/hygienist - they are the best ever and I will be seeking to replicate that level of care wherever I move to. Not being dentally anxious is worth payng extra to me. It will always be a spending priority of mine to have a dentist I like and trust, who can treat me comfortably with just local anaesthetic

I doubt this helps...but you did ask ;). I don't get nervous before appointments even if for treatment but I likely would if I didn't know the dentist I were seeing.

Last edited:
I'm so glad you have Brit in your dental corner!
She knows what she 's talking about.
Since I'm in the USA and twice your age, I can only offer HUGE moral support and my sincere hope that you save your teeth! Dentures before 40 should only be in EXTREME situations. I thought the same thoughts you have expressed...get these nasty things GONE!!!...but then I found the right dentist and fought like heck to keep my teeth. And I succeeded, despite a classic phobia that ruined me for over 20 years.
Keep chatting with Brit and the other awesome UK folks here...and best wishes!

Thanks both :) I'm hoping they will call me ASAP once the xray machine is fixed and then I can go back for my plan. I'll update once I know more.

Thanks again :) (I hope my teeth are as nice as this smiley soon)

Back