• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

29 with dentures

3hoursandcounting

In exactly 3 hours I am going in to get dentures. I am only 29 and here is my story. Hopefully this can help anyone in the same shoes.

When I was about 12-13 years old. I use to skateboard a lot. I had fallen and smashed my face into a concrete ramp. At the time I had braces on which pretty much kept the teeth in my mouth. But as you could imagine I needed a bunch of root canals after. So my mother being my mother took me to the dentist the same day of the accident. My orthodontist looked at my teeth and being so close to getting the braces off wanted to wait till I got them off before doing root canals. Well 2 years went by before the braces came off. I’m no expert and I can’t really remember if it was too late by then to save the teeth. I remember I was about 17 when the decay started. I remember when my first tooth broke. I have experienced horrible pain that has kept me up for days. I don’t smile I barely talked to people. I’d say my teeth don’t really impact who i am or has stopped me from doing things in life. Besides my teeth I live a great life. Great family great job etc. as I’m writing this sitting in bed my appointment is in 3 hours. Where I stand now is multiple broken teeth multiple decayed teeth. I always told myself if I either feel that terrible pain again or when one more tooth breaks that’s it. Well on December 16, 2020 I was at work went to lunch with a couple of guys and broke a big front tooth eating pizza... anyone who’s broken a tooth like that at the gum line knows how weird it feels that your tongue can slide thru where your tooth use to be. At that moment I stood up walked out side and called my fiancé. Told her that is it and she made the appointment for me. I never really feared the dentist or don’t appreciate what dentists can do and the miracles I know happen from them. I guess it was the thought my teeth were trashed at a young age and didn’t want to live the reality of needing dentures at a young age. But at the point of me writing this I don’t care I just want to get this burden off of my shoulders. I went in for the first appointment. Which prior I had gone to the same dentist 10 years ago and the bill I was hit with at 19 years old was around $32,000. I walked in knowing the end result. He looked at my X-rays a good while before telling me dentures is probably what’s gonna happen. But at this point I don’t care. I have the say this dentist is extremely comforting. I can tell he wanted to do anything he could before telling me that. He is known for his cosmetic dentist work. Went in a few days later for implants and here we are. I can’t say I’m too nervous about pain since what could be worse than I’ve already felt. Just looking forward to moving on mentally. This has been a burden for more than half my life so far. My family has been such a strong support for me. I would post a before pictures but i don’t want any memories of this after the fact. Another thing my dentist told me was that my saliva has a high acidic content which kept me from having any gum disease. I didn’t really ask much about that if any dentists on here could clarify that. Does that mean my saliva has stripped the enamel off my teeth? Which means I’d be here at some point in my life anyway.

I will be sure to post after the fact tho. Supposed to take 5-6 hours. Every tooth is coming out. Bring it on ?

Good luck. You have a great deal of courage and support from your family, plus a good dentist who will look after you. :clover:

Back