• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2nd Molar Removed - Will my face change?

C

chaoticman

I'm a male, 23. I've got a sorta thin looking face/jawline but my chin is sorta structured and has some width. I've just had a 2nd molar removed from one side of my lower mouth due to it being infected. I'm really worried now that this removal is going to cause my face to look even thinner due to the bone that will be lost in the jawline in the next year, and perhaps make me ugly. If this is the case, I best get back to the dentist to get a false replacement. What do you guys think? Thanks

Hi you don't mention if you are a phobic/nervous patient. This forum is really for people that are worried about seeing a dentist and need support and encouragement to see a dentist.

I will answer your question but I am not a dentist, the dentists on here give their time free of charge and cannot treat people as it is always best to have a word with your dentist that can see you in person and make an informed decision on the best course of treatment.

You could have an implant, partial denture or a bridge to fill the space. I don't know if you will remain your handsome self or not after you have healed but if you see your dentist I am sure they will advise you on the best way to cover the gap. :)

Hi you don't mention if you are a phobic/nervous patient. This forum is really for people that are worried about seeing a dentist and need support and encouragement to see a dentist.

I will answer your question but I am not a dentist, the dentists on here give their time free of charge and cannot treat people as it is always best to have a word with your dentist that can see you in person and make an informed decision on the best course of treatment.

You could have an implant, partial denture or a bridge to fill the space. I don't know if you will remain your handsome self or not after you have healed but if you see your dentist I am sure they will advise you on the best way to cover the gap. :)

Sorry, yeah I was a very nervous person, first time going to the dentist in 10 years because of my fear..
Thanks for your answer, so you can confirm that removing just one 2nd molar can impact how the face looks?
Also, what would be the ideal timeframe to get the gap filled after the extraction? If I waited a year, would it be too late and the bone would be too far broken? Thanks

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

NO I am not saying that your face will change at all. Many people have a tooth missing without it impacting on how they look especially if it is a back tooth and the gap cannot be seen. Your face should stay the same as it is now.

If you choose to fill the gap I just gave you some options. It is good that you found the courage to see a dentist after 10 years. I am hoping that you found a very understanding dentist and that you will be able to keep up with 6 monthly visits which will keep you orally healthy. :butterfly:

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

NO, I am not saying that your face will change at all. Many people have a tooth missing without it impacting on how they look especially if it is a back tooth and the gap cannot be seen. Your face should stay the same as it is now.

If you choose to fill the gap I just gave you some options. It is good that you found the courage to see a dentist after 10 years. I am hoping that you found a very understanding dentist and that you will be able to keep up with 6 monthly visits which will keep you orally healthy. :butterfly:

Haha thank you. The back tooth gap is not visible at all, the way I talk/smile does not display that gap at all so that is no problem. I am meaning, it might impact my face and cause my jawbone to lose bone and go thinner/thicken in height, due to that tooth no longer being there pressure is no longer on that part of the jawline and causes bone loss, you knew this is what I was talking about right? :) Could this severely affect my appearance?

No it won't effect your face. If you are still worried then contact your dentist and ask them to have a look and explain to you.

I wish you all the best and don't worry about this you will stay looking fine inside and out :butterfly:

No it won't effect your face. If you are still worried then contact your dentist and ask them to have a look and explain to you.

I wish you all the best and don't worry about this you will stay looking fine inside and out :butterfly:

Thanks a lot, I'll go back to the dentist :/ You're a nice person and thanks for the advice :)

I was missing the tooth next to that for 4 years....my face did NOT change at all. The only thing that happened is my gum tissue dropped on a tooth next to that ( just on the side next to the hole) eventually creating a recession that sometimes is sensitive. Talk to your dentist though. your other teeth can be effected by the gap eventually or sometimes not.

I didn't want a bridge and once that gum receeded I started to wonder if it would get worse so I finally had the implant done this June. I was lucky and actually had plenty of bone aka I hadn't started to really lose it yet...but everyone is very different on that sort of thing.

I was missing the tooth next to that for 4 years....my face did NOT change at all. The only thing that happened is my gum tissue dropped on a tooth next to that ( just on the side next to the hole) eventually creating a recession that sometimes is sensitive. Talk to your dentist though. your other teeth can be effected by the gap eventually or sometimes not.

I didn't want a bridge and once that gum receeded I started to wonder if it would get worse so I finally had the implant done this June. I was lucky and actually had plenty of bone aka I hadn't started to really lose it yet...but everyone is very different on that sort of thing.

Hi, how long do implants last? And is it painful to install? And how much does it cost? Haha sorry for all the questions.

price and stuff is very dependent on who does them. As far as i know with good care implants can last a lifetime but there are other factors at play for how long they last. It does kind of mean regular professional cleanings are a must. Smoking can affect the healing process.

As far as my experience thus far I had no pain during or really after either and i was so scared my dentist came in and sat while her partner did the implant. According to my scans it was a pretty simple proceedure. And it was it took less than an hour including getting numb and scans. Other than some pressure i didn't notice much else...the drill he used didn't make any noise..quieter and less noticeable than the one used on fillings. It was easier than a root canal.
i used advil for the first day but only because i was worried about swelling....i didn't. Ice packs for the same reason. Didn't need either for pain. Jaw was more sore at the joint from holding my mouth open so long. Gums were a little tender for a week or so.
My doc didn't give me any food restrictions just no nuts and seeds for a while and just avoid the area. I stuck to soft foods and things i could cut up small.

there were/ are random aches and throbs nothing has been severe, lingering or often just made me panic. my dentist said it was normal still. It really is just annoying when it happens and seems weather related. I was able to return to running long distance on monday ( done on a friday) And lifting weights by tuesday. Everyone is a little different though and remember I didn't need grafting or anything. In general they are expensive but my office does payment plans.

If you are interested talk to your dentist check in to those offices that do them. I used my dental office because I trusted my dentist's partner's skills plus i knew all the s.taff already and i felt certain he would only do my case if he was comfortable nothing was going to be beyond his skillset..some people prefer an oral surgeon that does implants more often. you could even book a few consults before choosing. I waited because I was scared. If you don't want to do it right awaybmake sure you tell your dentist it is what you want and to kerp an eye on things. Mine checked every cleaning to see if there were outward signs of bone loss she would have told me if i needed to get the implant soon before other teeth were being affected.

Your other option would be a bridge. i knew from the begining I wouldn't be happy with that though. 6wks post op and things are good. I am anxious over everything, but it's healing on track so far. it could fail still yes but so far so good. I only have the post so far Oct is when the attachment is scheduled. i don't mind the wait since it isn't visible when i talk or smile.

Back